Sory... again... 11spd/10spd compatibility..

sid700
sid700 Posts: 3
edited September 2019 in Road buying advice
Hey i did read a lot on the internet about mixing 10/11 speed components but I stll have some questions.
I have sram red 2X10(53/39) group and I got a nice deal on 11spd crank(50/34). As far as i know 11spd crank should work with the rest of 10spd components.
But,
my front derailleur is broken and I need a new one...
What should I buy, 10spd front derailleur or 11spd?
Which one would work better with 11spd crank while the rest of the group is 10spd inc. shifters?
And what chain to use then?

Thanks

Comments

• step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    10/11 should be fine on the crank and FD. I ran 10sp rival shifters an rear mech with a Force 22 FD and crankset, using a 10 spd chain.

Youll only really have problems putting different shifters to RD's.
  • crank will work fine

if ypu have 10 speed shifters you may as well use 10 speed mech

chuck a £15/20 KMC on it and it will be perfect
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    sid700 wrote:
    Hey i did read a lot on the internet about mixing 10/11 speed components but I stll have some questions.
    I have sram red 2X10(53/39) group and I got a nice deal on 11spd crank(50/34). As far as i know 11spd crank should work with the rest of 10spd components.
    But,
    my front derailleur is broken and I need a new one...
    What should I buy, 10spd front derailleur or 11spd?
    Which one would work better with 11spd crank while the rest of the group is 10spd inc. shifters?
    And what chain to use then?

Thanks

SRAM is forwards and backwards compatible. 10 speed shifters will work with 11 speed derailleurs operating as 10 speed. 11 speed shifters will work with 10 speed derailleurs operating as 11 speed. It's also compatible across models so doesn't matter if you mix Apex with Rival, Force or Red.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Get the new force 22 front derailleur it comes with the chain catcher and is just as cheap as old stock 10 speed.
  • Tanks 8)

https://www.ebay.de/itm/SRAM-RED-Kurbel ... Swlc9dfiH7

Is this 10 speed crank with 11speed chainrings on?