Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674
    Ar5e! Lazed about in the sunshine post ride this afternoon, still with half the cycling kit on. Just been for a shower finally to discover the start of a saddle sore. Double ar5e! Haven't had one of those in ages, years. Either getting too soft or time for some new shorts.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,325
    Post Vuelta blues. I got it bad.

I used to lament the Monday after the last day of the TdF when all we had was the comic and Ch 4.
    Then I stopped lamenting the TdF during the Lance Armstrong years.
    Then I discovered that the Giro and Vuelta are often far better.

So what have we left? Lombardy and the Worlds then winter and misery...

Meh.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • cowsham
    cowsham Posts: 1,399
    Pinno wrote:

I used to lament the Monday after the last day of the TdF when all we had was the comic and Ch 4.

Meh.

Christmas?
  • Ski Sunday?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,325
    Cowsham wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Meh.

Christmas?

Noddy Holder, Jingly jangly. shyte weather, buy buy buy, boxing day sale, new year sale and over indulgence? Great.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Pinno wrote:
    Cowsham wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Meh.

Christmas?

Noddy Holder, Jingly jangly. shyte weather, buy buy buy, boxing day sale, new year sale and over indulgence? Great.
    Yeah, not a big fan of Christmas myself and, if I had my way, I'd go away every year (which I used to do before I met my wife). This will be our first Christmas with the little one though, so that might make it better!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Nooooooooooooooooo! Not Xmas talk already! :shock:

Yep it's gets too much, I do like it just needs to start 1st Dec and NOTHING before. No Xmas records on radio, no decorations up etc etc.
  • Pinno wrote:
    Cowsham wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Meh.

Christmas?

switch the telly off, buy a SAD lamp, move the bath to to the lounge and convert it into a spa, have a few cocktails and chill.
  • Nooooooooooooooooo! Not Xmas talk already! :shock:

Yep it's gets too much, I do like it just needs to start 1st Dec and NOTHING before. No Xmas records on radio, no decorations up etc etc.
    we're first up in our street, really annoys the hell out of the out-laws and wife who think they shouldn't go up until later. I don't either but the kids love all that....
  • cowsham
    cowsham Posts: 1,399
    Pinno wrote:
    Cowsham wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Meh.

Christmas?

New bike time?
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    elbowloh wrote:
    Yeah, not a big fan of Christmas myself and, if I had my way, I'd go away every year (which I used to do before I met my wife). This will be our first Christmas with the little one though, so that might make it better!
    Last year, some annoying little squirt told our son he wasn't going to get any Christmas presents - this was in November - boy did we have to work hard on turning it around - writing letters, a santa's little elf visiting etc etc .. but to hear his excited little voice on Christmas morning "He's remembered, Father Christmas Remembered!" it was well worth the effort.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Don't start getting depressed about Christmas already, it's only half-way through September. You'll be suicidal by the end of November.

It's all a bit of a ritual / B&B / catering marathon now the kids are grown up / have partners. Once the dog snuffs it we'll be spending our Christmases abroad.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    God bothering pro-lifers handing out leaflets outside of the Mary Stopes clinic.

In fact, on second thoughts, it's not even trivial.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • elbowloh
    Ben6899 wrote:
    God bothering pro-lifers handing out leaflets outside of the Mary Stopes clinic.

In fact, on second thoughts, it's not even trivial.
    Agreed it's not trivial.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh
    ATMs.

I want to withdraw some cash. I am given the following options:
    1) Cash only
    2) Cash and Receipt
    3) Cash and Balance.

If I select Cash only, I do not to be later asked whether I want a balance or a receipt. I just want cash and have already stated that!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh wrote:
    ATMs.

I want to withdraw some cash. I am given the following options:
    1) Cash only
    2) Cash and Receipt
    3) Cash and Balance.

If I select Cash only, I do not to be later asked whether I want a balance or a receipt. I just want cash and have already stated that!

And what the hell is an 'advice slip'?

"You should spend this on new wheels"
  • keef66
    ^Me too. It's just moronic.

The world is full of annoying crap like that now. Pet peeves of mine are online forms which require you to enter the same information several times, or fields requiring numbers which don't bring up the number keyboard automatically. I know it's only an extra dab of a finger, and not in the same league as having to walk 8 miles a day to fetch contaminated drinking water, but it'd be unnecessary if the page was better designed.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    ATMs that wont accept your card until they have finished sincerely thanking the previous user of the machine for a solid 2 minutes after they've left.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    The ATM that crashed and rebooted (took about 5 minutes) with my card in it a while back. The inconvenience of losing a card (had to apply for new one) combined with the nagging worry of seeing an amateurish looking XP bootup in charge of my money.
  • keef66 wrote:

The world is full of annoying crap like that now. Pet peeves of mine are online forms which require you to enter the same information several times, or fields requiring numbers which don't bring up the number keyboard automatically. I know it's only an extra dab of a finger, and not in the same league as having to walk 8 miles a day to fetch contaminated drinking water, but it'd be unnecessary if the page was better designed.
    Built in search onscreen keyboard plugin on tv or settop box where some are alphabetical, others querty. Just have one fing plugin and use it in all the apps!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    keef66 wrote:

Entry fields that ask your age, do have a pop up list but have the value that appears initially as 2019. Who was born in 2019 and is filling online forms in?

Maybe default to 1999 which is not far off the birth year of those who are probably filling most forms in. Unless it is a form for over - 50s plans (whatever they are....). Anyway, spare me scrolling 50 years to find my actual birth year....... FFS
    Faster than a tent.......
  • slowbike
    Rolf F wrote:
    Anyway, spare me scrolling 50 years to find my actual birth year....... FFS
    Do they go back that far .... :twisted: :lol::wink:
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,145
    Rolf F wrote:
    Entry fields that ask your age, do have a pop up list but have the value that appears initially as 2019. Who was born in 2019 and is filling online forms in?

Maybe default to 1999 which is not far off the birth year of those who are probably filling most forms in. Unless it is a form for over - 50s plans (whatever they are....). Anyway, spare me scrolling 50 years to find my actual birth year....... FFS
    Might be a way to keep the spambots away?
  • keef66
    Rolf F wrote:

Might be a way to keep the spambots away?

I've developed RSI repeatedly scrolling all the way back to 1957. And why does my age matter if I'm only buying dog food??

And what about those bloody Captcha things which ask you to tick all the (blurry, grainy) photos with cars, or shops, or traffic lights. Half of them I can't make out what's in the photo at all, so it's a bit of a guess. Try using some decent, in focus, higher res photos...

I'm starting to make Victor Meldrew sound like a positive, upbeat kinda chap...
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Slowbike wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

Dunno, I usually give up scrolling in the mid 80s and pick something around then!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,464
    Rolf F wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

Dunno, I usually give up scrolling in the mid 80s and pick something around then!
    I hear that's a common tactic on dating websites...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

I hear that's a common tactic on dating websites...

I guess being 85 or 86 might be more attractive than whatever his real age is...?
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,613
    Not being able to find a convenient source of embalming fluid.
  • slowbike
    Rolf F wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

Well played ... ;)

On a similar theme - why do accounts for business systems need your DoB? Just confirming details for a BT business account - ok, using my (works) email address, but they want my DoB - not relevant and not needed - so you're not getting it. But you have to put something in .... better say Happy Birthday to me on the 1st Jan then ...
  • elbowloh
    On a similar note, when you're in a shop and they ask if you want them to email you the receipt or in other words, give us your email address so we can bombard you with ads or sell your details on to someone else.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk