Kinesis Tripster AT

step83
step83 Posts: 4,170
edited October 2019 in Your road bikes
First off, dunno, is this a road bike? Is it a cravel bike, Adventure bike? Its more a go anywhere bike but will be my winter beasty with the option to pick up byways etc.

No photos yet till its actually built

Kinesis Tripster AT frame and fork
Alexrims GD26 with Novatec hubs
Schwalbe G one Allround tyres 35c (tubeless)
Ritchley Comp Ergomax 42cm
Botranger Supertack bar tape
5800 hydro shifters
Ultegra RX800 GS (med cage)
SLX 11-40T cassette
RS 500 crankset with Hope 42T ring
Hope BB
Layback Seatpost (unbranded)
Fabric ALM saddle

Thats everything bar brake rotors, hunting deals on those, but it'll be 160 centrelocks

Comments

• That is quite an expensive saddle compared to the rest of the components...
  • step83
    beanstalk wrote:
    That is quite an expensive saddle compared to the rest of the components...

Thought I'd sold it, found it skulking around in a parts box.
    Forgot one parts, stem for a 90mm that'll go on for now
  • This thing is going to rock - piccies needed dude!
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Very close to buying one of these myself, so yeah..need photos!
  • step83
    Don't worry should get some photos this weekend providing all the parts arrive.
    Its looking like tomorrow is going to be a mad box day wheels, crankset, brakes and tyres turning up. CRC are dragging their heels with the order with the mech, bars and cassette sitting on "processing" still which is annoying as it was meant to be here tomorrow.

Edit

Wheels have arrived, crank should be later, brakes now look like their tomorrow along with the tires :roll:

CRC order went from processing to dispatched at silly o'clock this morning and is looking like it'll be here later.

Just thought I will need some barrel adjusters for the gears. Rotor wise, still not sure theres nothing about the default size people are running 140's or 160's so I'm assuming its down to the caliper and mount so need to see if the brakes actually come with said mounts or not (ad is not at all clear). Ideal world it will be running Sunday so I can take it for a spin and annoy clubbies by taking shortcuts.
  • step83
    RIght, CRC order appeared so.
    Wheels, cassette, mech and crankset on. Random stem I found 80mm it looks like. I'll change that.

Chains sat in its box still waiting on the shifter/brakes still so no point fitting as yet. Rotors arriving tomorrow. Do I put up a photo though?
  • Step83 wrote:
    RIght, CRC order appeared so.
    Wheels, cassette, mech and crankset on. Random stem I found 80mm it looks like. I'll change that.

Chains sat in its box still waiting on the shifter/brakes still so no point fitting as yet. Rotors arriving tomorrow. Do I put up a photo though?

hell, yes. if anything, think of the post count.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • i mean, some people post any old trash in order to get their post count up.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    edited September 2019
    junk, all of it.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • just look at all of Richard's stuff.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • step83
    just look at all of Richard's stuff.
    :lol:

Anyway...

Behold the colour my phone cant deal with, aka florescent orange, seriously it sent my eyes funny close up in the sun doing the bottom bracket up. Ill roll up to the woods at the weekend an get a snap or two if the brakes appear, an I can fit them all!

48759970788_3eba4dae28_b.jpg
  • rockin'. seriously rockin'. am well diggin' that.

top, top workin'

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • step83
    Danke,

Now waiting on Dolan so sort their faecal matter out, ordered on the 14th, they reckon the brakes/shifters are due to be shipped today, no explanation given. Going to bung some SRAM shifters on so start playing with the position, I can mark off on the bars where the new ones need to sit.

Slightly better news, found an inline seatpost, so that'll sort out my position problems, (layback post sat me too far back) I'll chop the steerer down a bit so its not so much of a death spike. 140mm rotors have arrived and look piddly next to the cassette, may go 160 rear at some point on the rear if I feel it needs more stopping power.
    Also got some frame tape for the downtube and chainstay plus a neoprene wrap, not sure I'll need it as the mech has a clutch but better that than ruin the paintwork.
  • step83
    Brakes arrived, sans any fittings, turns out they didn't show them in the image so you don't get them queue spanking about £30 on bolts from SJS they should arrive tomorrow.
    Levers are just on for now need to play with the position on them. Found some M520's but I think i'll chuck some SPDSL's on for now as I cant find the SPD shoes. Better than the DMR Vaults on there now!

Fingers crossed it'll be done for the weekend! Ill roll up to the woods an get some photos.
  • looking forward to seeing this - should be well cool.

how are we going to see it against the trees though?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • step83
    Its fluro orange, unless I find some matching colour trees you'll be able to see it!
  • step83
    Right, brakes are on, chains also on and indexed the gears flipping the B screw so I can get the 40T shifting happily. Front brakes I think are OK, not bled them, rear though, nope appears the facing is wonky so need to find someone to un wonky it now.

48800210671_03921ac94a_b.jpg
  • Maybe a shim to move the rotor outboard may help
  • step83
    bikeav8or wrote:
    Maybe a shim to move the rotor outboard may help

Mounts wonky so shimming it wont help much unless it was a magical avid wonky shim.
  • step83
    So, frame exchanged yesterday, cannot fault them the guy picked up the frame looked at it an said it was well out of whack.
    Frame home lobbed it together just need to re index the gears, plumb the brakes and wrap the bar tape, put some SPDs on in place of the DMR Vaults. Thats about it. hopefully get it all trimmed an finished over the week.
  • step83
    edited November 2019
    Well, its built, Not ridden for a while an I've been ill so Ill use that as an excuse for poor performance.
    Couple of shots from the wood forgot the DSLR but the wide lens seemed to pick up the "railway Orange" a bit better.

Its not quick (more me than the bike) tops out around 28mph but thats probably enough for what I'll be using it for. Very stable nice having disc brakes saddle is horrid though so need something a bit more comfortable, after 20 miles my backside was having none of it.
  • step83
    edited February 2020

Marmite time, chucked on my new 650b's with some 47c Vittoria Terrano Zero's. Actually pretty fast on them but super comfortable.