Things you have recently learnt

Comments

• chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    That percentage calculations can be flipped and give the same answer

30% of 50 is the same as 50% of 30

I have GCSE maths, A level maths and a professional accounting qualification and had never been taught this.

you have, just not that exact thing and you didn't connect the dots - you were told how to calculate a percentage (either multiplying by 1/100 or just dividing by 100) and you were taught that multiplication and division were, mostly, commutative (matrix multiplication, for example, is not)
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    david7m wrote:
    Also CIMA and didn't know that.
    If referring to Italian pronunciation it would be spelt more like cheema to get the English to pronounce it correctly.
    The Ckris bit is right, although Chris is an oddity in terms of English. Chips if it were Italian would be pronounced kips, although the i would be longer making it more like keeps.

Regarding average cod are we talking mean, median or mode?

I’m with TWH on the averages, never knew that.
  • That 'learnt' and 'learned' are interchangeable. ...well the single syllable version anyway.
  • Ballysmate wrote:
    That percentage calculations can be flipped and give the same answer

30% of 50 is the same as 50% of 30

I have GCSE maths, A level maths and a professional accounting qualification and had never been taught this.

And they say exams have not been dumbed down. :?
    I think it's better teaching these days. You were taught three theory behind this but not the specifics back in the day. Now the specifics with clarifications make for these results if the theory being explained.

In my days at school things like number ladders and other techniques to make things easier to get weren't taught. Indeed when my nephew got taught like that I got a surprise. Spoon fed perhaps?
  • That if you drop a carbon bike off the roof at 60+mph, it might actually survive. :shock:
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Poptart242 wrote:
    That if you drop a carbon bike off the roof at 60+mph, it might actually survive. :shock:

you cycle at 60 mph down roofs :shock:

I take it your parachute opened?
  • Robert88 wrote:

No parachute, but my pants became less aerodynamic watching events unfold in the rear view mirror
  • Poptart242 wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:

No parachute, but my pants became less aerodynamic watching events unfold in the rear view mirror
    Just admitted on a public forum that you've driven with an unsafe load! At least you won't get caught doing it by the police. :D
  • Just admitted on a public forum that you've driven with an unsafe load! At least you won't get caught doing it by the police. :D

Full disclosure here, I can't see how it wasn't my mistake so it seems right to own up to it. Luckily, no harm done to anything other than my own property and for that I'm equal parts lucky, grateful, and sorry.
  • Poptart242 wrote:
    Just admitted on a public forum that you've driven with an unsafe load! At least you won't get caught doing it by the police. :D

Full disclosure here, I can't see how it wasn't my mistake so it seems right to own up to it. Luckily, no harm done to anything other than my own property and for that I'm equal parts lucky, grateful, and sorry.
    It happens. A mate from my canoeing days had to collect a roof rack carrying 4 kayaks from the middle lane of a motorway after it came flying off. It was a Paddy Hobkirks rack which everyone else knew was totally unsafe.

They had a rep for flying off car roofs among canoeists so most avoided them and halfords own brand racks which were made by paddy hobkirks back then.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    How hard it is getting QueasyJet to reimburse hotel expenses after they cancelled our flight back from Italy. O.K. it was French Air Traffic Control which broke, so no automatic compensation, but they are still required to assist with food, drink and accommodation. We were meant to fly on Sunday but couldn't get back till Wednesday, so I'm out of pocket for 3 extra days hotel and food for a party of 6.

They tell you to use the online tool / form which gives you no chance to explain anything, then you get a rejection from a no reply email address. Doubly infuriating since it alleges they've carefully considered the claim but they've got the hotel and excess parking charges @rse about face, and they sign off with a cheery 'we hope to welcome you on board again soon'

Now moving on to a strongly worded letter reminding them of their obligations under E.U. law, and sending it Signed For so they can't deny receiving it...
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    david7m wrote:
    Also CIMA and didn't know that.

Yes me too - it's not something I was ever taught or thought about.
  • Allegedly the numbers or markers on toasters are minutes, not 'browness'.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Chess Grandmasters burn around 6000 calories a day when in tournaments, and on average, lose around half a kilo per day in weight as a result.
  • twelve plus one is an anagram of eleven plus two.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Allegedly the numbers or markers on toasters are minutes, not 'browness'.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

This is dynamite stuff. Can it be though? I have it somewhere between 4 and 5 on a 10 point scale. The missus will use a 7 for crumpets. Does anyone use 10?
  • twelve plus one is an anagram of eleven plus two.

Nice. Thanks.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • chris_bass

is it not effectively the same thing? more minutes = more brownness (browness?!)

although whether the brownness (i'm going with that one!) is a linear scale is another matter altogether!
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Chris Bass wrote:

is it not effectively the same thing? more minutes = more brownness (browness?!)

although whether the brownness (i'm going with that one!) is a linear scale is another matter altogether!

Peak brownness attained in X Minutes. Works for me
  • Step83 wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:

Peak brownness attained in X Minutes. Works for me

What it isn't though, is a control on the heat of the element, which is what a lot of people think.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Is that the same for every brand?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • chris_bass
    I think i might invent a kind of pendulum toaster, the bread could swing between the elements and appear out of one end, when it is brown enough you grab the bread and enjoy! I could make it into some sort of design master piece and charge a fortune for it like that expensive lemon juicer thing that looks like a space ship
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'm thinking with your pendulum idea the bread might not ever get hot enough to toast?

I thought I'd invented the see-through toaster till I actually spotted one. Or did I just imagine that??

Must get a toasting fork and do some with the log-burner door open this winter.

I'm guessing the tripod space ship lemon squeezer things look better than they actually work...
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,487
    keef66 wrote:
    I'm guessing the tripod space ship lemon squeezer things look better than they actually work...

It's famous for not working. Just a pretty objet to have on your worktop.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • keef66 wrote:
    I'm thinking with your pendulum idea the bread might not ever get hot enough to toast?

I thought I'd invented the see-through toaster till I actually spotted one. Or did I just imagine that??

yeah, if you twist while pressing hard the legs suddenly slide, it topples, and your citric acid soaked hand crashes into the glass below. The glass breaks, cutting the knuckles and palm of the hand. The pain of the citric acid makes the user black out and they bleed to death on the kitchen floor. FACT!
  • chris_bass
    they definitely exist i'm afraid.

back to my idea - i'd just need a long enough toaster to make sure it did - or the worlds hottest toasting elements so the time it spends between them needs to be minimal - it'll all be sorted by the time i make it to Dragon's Den

Actually - maybe if the bread was still and the toaster was on the pendulum that'd be more exciting a spectacle?
  • chris_bass
    rjsterry wrote:
    keef66 wrote:

That's exactly how i'll pitch my Toaster to the Dragons
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    keef66 wrote:

yeah, if you twist while pressing hard the legs suddenly slide, it topples, and your citric acid soaked hand crashes into the glass below. The glass breaks, cutting the knuckles and palm of the hand. The pain of the citric acid makes the user black out and they bleed to death on the kitchen floor. FACT!

Very true, it happened to me.
  • Chris Bass wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    keef66 wrote:

That's exactly how i'll pitch my Toaster to the Dragons
    Well dragons are one way to toast your bread but I'd rather not have one just for toast. The Welsh can keep them as far as I'm concerned.
  • Chris Bass wrote:
    they definitely exist i'm afraid.

back to my idea - i'd just need a long enough toaster to make sure it did - or the worlds hottest toasting elements so the time it spends between them needs to be minimal - it'll all be sorted by the time i make it to Dragon's Den

Actually - maybe if the bread was still and the toaster was on the pendulum that'd be more exciting a spectacle?

Alternatively it could be like the hotel breakfast toasters that move the bread through on a conveyor, but instead of falling out at the back (for someone else to steal), they carry on round on the conveyor belt, and get picked up again automatically if you don't grab them because they aren't done enough. Set the conveyor to go fast enough and you've got a perfect product. And when it fails, burns the toast and sets off the smoke alarm, you feel like you're on holiday.