Interested in buying an MTB for cross country rides and general riding

arbj
arbj Posts: 10
edited September 2019 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I am interested in buying an MTB for cross country rides, and a possibly mountain riding in the future. I was hoping you could give me an opinion on the two choices I have selected.

Terrain: Urban Roads (bad with pot holes), some mountain riding (urban roads)
Distances: 60 Km per day, I hope to increase in future.

Now I am using this basic entry level MTB hardtail, with following specs.
    Firefox Tornado 27.5
Sizes: 17" (43 Cms) & 18.5" (46 Cms)
Frame: Alloy Hardtail MTB
Front Suspension: ZOOM Front Suspension, 60mm (6 Cms)
Rear Suspension: N/A

Shifters: SHIMANO ALTUS EF500, 3 x 8 speed
Crankset: SHIMANO TOURNEY TY301, 24x34x42T, 170mm (17 Cms)
BB Set: KENLI Sealed Cartridge
Pedals: FP 922
Cassette: SHIMANO TOURNEY HG200. 12-32T, 8 speed
Front Derailleur: SHIMANO TOURNEY TY700
Rear Derailleur: SHIMANO TOURNEY TX800

Wheels: Alloy 32H Double Wall Rims
Tires: KENDA K1027 27.5" X 2.10" (69X5 Cms)

Seat Post: ZOOM Alloy 30.4mm X 300mm (3X30 Cms)
Handlebar: ZOOM Alloy 680mm (68 Cms), 31.8mm (3 Cms)
Stem: ZOOM Alloy 28.6mm (2.86 Cms)
Headset: KENLI KL-B441
Brakeset: Front & Rear JAK 7 Mechanical disc brakes with SHIMANO levers

I am quite happy with the bike performance, however I would like to upgrade to another bike.

For this I have identified two models based on my budget and requirements, these are

1. Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/mens-rockhopper-comp/p/154446?color=239573-154446

2. Trek Marlin 7
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/mountain-bikes/cross-country-mountain-bikes/marlin/marlin-7/p/28789/?colorCode=greendark

Researching on the internet I found that the Specialized Rockhopper Comp scores slightly better due to its frame geometry and design, although components are more or less the same.

I do realize that compared to the current bike I have there may not be much difference component wise, however I believe a suitable frame geometry and bike fit are much more important.

Could you please give some suggestions as to which of these bikes would be better?

My height is approx 5' 9" (175 cm) +/- 1", which size would be suitable for my height ?? Does height matter in selection of bike size ??

thank
nm

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Neither of those bikes are good value for money, for what you are riding I'd be looking at a gravel bike not an MTB.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • arbj
    arbj Posts: 10
    Could you suggest some bikes ??

thanks
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As some who has done a fair bit of riding in India I understand your requirements.

While a rigid bike is undoubtedly faster they do give you a bit of a beating unless your riding on the much better roads, but instead of going MTB I'd be looking at a decent Hybrid with suspension forks such as a Giant Roam or similar. I've done a couple of 200Km plus rides as well as a lot of 100k plus on Roams in India. (Pune region).

If you want an MTB look at the new Firfox Soulfly or Mountrail or for a little more the Rockrider XC 100 29 RR from Decathlon is excellent value for sub 1 lakh.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.