Breeze-in QR dropout with DT Swiss Thru Bolt QR?

Chirsbom
Chirsbom Posts: 17
edited September 2019 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I am in the market for a new bike, and have come across what might, or might not, be an issue that I hope somebody can help me out with.

The bike(s) in question are dropbar, but the tech comes from MTB so I thought this might be the best forum.

The bike will be primarily used as a daily commuter, but also loaded up with front and read panniers for gravel roads and rougher terrain.

The one bike that ticks "all" the boxes has Thru Axle, but the 1K dollar cheaper option of Breezer Radar Pro has Breeze-in QR dropout as its only "disadvantage".

Now, how much emphasis should I put on this one feature alone, both with regards to the strenght of the axle when fully loaded with gear, and the usability in the future?

I am not technically inclined enough to work out if I could further strenghten the Breeze-in QR with a DT Swiss Thru Bolt (or a similar product). How to I check this?

In advance thank you for all and any help in this matter!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A bolt through improves stiffness, not strength (as such), a 10mm axle is fine for what you describe.

Converting it will almost certainly be impossible unless the fork has swappable dropouts.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thank you for you reply!
    The Rookie wrote:
    Converting it will almost certainly be impossible unless the fork has swappable dropouts.

Seems I misunderstood the DT swiss tech, still learning about this :)
  • Having QR shouldn't be an issue for you.

I've run QR on my HT MTB for years and its been down plenty of Welsh mountains and trips to the Peaks.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Isn't the Breezer drop out a rear end thing, not a front fork thing?

A quick google suggests Mr Breeze invented the "Breeze-in" dropouts for MTB use, and the bike looks like it's deliberately specc'd for exactly what you are intending - so unless you're really planning on pushing it much harder than you suggest, you're not going to be testing the stiffness of front or rear QRs sufficiently to make the thru axel a distinguishing feature.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • Thank you for your replies.

I know I have been overthinking this, but once I started going down the rabbithole of reviews and forums I gir this idea that this was a feature that a bike should have. Much due to an article that literaly stated that you should not buy a gravel bike without thru axles.

I am getting the Breezer asap, and the money saved can go for both better tires, bikepacking bags and other stuff, and still there will be change left..

Again thanks!