Tyre life

darrell1967
darrell1967 Posts: 470
edited October 2019 in Road general
I’ve got a pair of Vitoria Corsa clinchers on my Boardman 9.6 and they are looking a bit sorry for themselves.
I’ve done 4-5000 miles on them since mid March. A mixture of commuting and weekend sportives, so are they past their best?

Comments

• You’ve had your money’s worth out of them. Usually I know my tyres are gone when they start to puncture easily.
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    Sounds like you've done well !
    I've done 2k on 5000gp and the rear not got long left.
  • samiam
    samiam Posts: 227
    You only got 2k miles out of your 5000 GP tyre?
  • david7m
    samiam wrote:
    You only got 2k miles out of your 5000 GP tyre?

So far, yes. Just brought a TL version to replace it.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    The gp5000 is designed for speed and racing rather than longevity. 2000 miles is a pretty good return for them.
  • I’ve only had 1 puncture but on closer inspection it’s as though the black section which is the tread is starting to come away from the main body of the tyre in certain places. Delamination for want of a better word.
  • david7m
    redvision wrote:
    The gp5000 is designed for speed and racing rather than longevity. 2000 miles is a pretty good return for them.

Yeah, I'm pleased with them.
  • redvision wrote:

And the clincher version of the tubular Corsa as used by a large proportion of the Pro teams isn’t designed for racing?

I think the OP has proved that a good race tyre can get some solid miles in before retiring.
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    2500 miles on my Pirelli P Zero, front is fine, back is starting to go a bit thin, had a couple of punctures, it’ll see the autumn out and get replaced in the spring
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738
    I usually get somewhere between 3 & 5k miles out of Vittoria Paves. Pure guesswork, but certainly more than a year and I do swap wheels during the winter for even wear over the next summer.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • The people who get high mileage from these race tyres are either very light or dont ride to fast/corner fast. Being light helps alot.

2500km from a conti gp5000tl tyre and 1500km from vittoria corsa from me.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738
    Long time since I was called light. A very long time.
    Must be slow then. :wink:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    The people who get high mileage from these race tyres are either very light or dont ride to fast/corner fast. Being light helps alot.

2500km from a conti gp5000tl tyre and 1500km from vittoria corsa from me.

Less than 1000 miles from Corsa? What are you riding on - very rough chip-seal?? Even if so this is extremely low mileage Malcolm, are you sure they are properly worn out when you replace them?
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Chip seal everywhere in suffolk. Yes they were worn out. I generally race tyres when they start puncturing frequently. It's a sign that the tread has got thin. Some time I got 1500 miles from.them
    Used them for about two years and went through alot of tyres. That however is more miles than conti gp4 seasons gave me
    They simply got holes.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Can we see some photos of the boardman please. I have a real soft spot for them.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    The GP 5000 have Tyre Wear Indicators on them (TWI written on the sidewall)
  • parmos
    parmos Posts: 100
    at 17st my rear tyres don't last that long
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Can we see some photos of the boardman please. I have a real soft spot for them.
    It's only soft on the bottom - and you need to pump it up .... ;)
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I think i have over 6000 miles from my Schwalbe Marathons. Still a lot of life on them. Just bombproof.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Fenix wrote:
    I think i have over 6000 miles from my Schwalbe Marathons. Still a lot of life on them. Just bombproof.

upto a point, and it wasnt till I finally punctured after prob 5000miles on some Specialized espoirs, that still looked in decent life on the tread, taking the tyre off I realised how badly stretched and worn the sidewalls and loose the tyre bead had become as the tyre came off with no effort at all, so it may look like some tyres are doing really well but they could be alot nearer the end of the tyre life than the wear indicator hints at.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    80-82kg here, done 4500 miles on some 5000s with only 1 puncture between the 2 tyres. still look decent. ive always worn vittorias quicker than contis though. one set were stupidly fast but lasted less than 1500miles.

must be the compound.