Handlebar Extensions

ContendSL2
ContendSL2 Posts: 5
edited September 2019 in Workshop
I have a 2108 Giant Contend SL2 Disc w/Hydraulic brakes. I am wanting to put handlebar extensions on it. But due to the unit on the handlebar for the hydraulic brakes and with the cables are tight fit, I was told by my local Giant dealer it cannot be done. And I have also contact another Giant dealer in another city close to me, and no answer back ( been a week as of this post). And I have not seen ANYTHING online about trying this. Thanks .

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Do you mean Tri bars ?
  • The problem you have is the hydraulic lines going into the converter unit.

48733239112_c876e86d55_z.jpg

I think Giant are being cautious but unless you can get some clip on tri bars with very thin clamps I think they are right.
  • cougie wrote:
    Do you mean Tri bars ?
    Yes,,
  • Sandyballs wrote:
    The problem you have is the hydraulic lines going into the converter unit.

48733239112_c876e86d55_z.jpg

I think Giant are being cautious but unless you can get some clip on tri bars with very thin clamps I think they are right.
    Yes the tubes coming from the unit is the problem, Never seen anything about 'clip on' . I will look into them.
  • To be clear, clip on are actually bolt on, I don’t know why they call them that.
  • Sandyballs wrote:
    To be clear, clip on are actually bolt on, I don’t know why they call them that.
    OK, Thanks
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    The things you see going into the side of the unit are not hydraulic, they are standard brake outer and cable. The hydraulics exit from the bottom of the unit.

They are supplied with compressionless outer for that part of the run, with a conventional spiral outer for the bit by the levers to ease installation - this stuff is very hard to bend, so it will be struggle to fit bolt on bars without replacing it for standard brake outer, which might slightly diminish the braking quality (although over such a short run shouldn't be much different!)

Obviously you will also need to have your tri bars placed fairly wide apart due to the width of the unit - taking the example of these bars at decathlon - https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triathlon-l ... 15713.html - you will want to mount them so that the clamps are on the outside of the bars instead of the inside as pictured.

This then creates another problem as it is likely your handlebars taper from the 31.8mm clamp diameter to a smaller diameter at around the point that you will need to clamp the tri bars, so you might also need to replace them for bars that don't have this taper, or have it further out, such as the Pro Vibe handlebars - https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Pro/Vi ... lebar/HC71

In short, it's not really an ideal platform for tri bars, it's probably possible but is going to be quite a lot of work!