Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• People who put cheddar on lasagne
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    orraloon wrote:
    Ready grated? Wossa matter wid u? Do you buy prepped mashed potato as well? Jeez. Or. Cheese.

It's sometimes on offer at a cheaper price per 100g than non-grated so why pay more and then spend time grating it?
  • Pross
    What is the point of a roof tent? I guess they make sense if you're touring around and staying in car parks overnight but I saw a car leaving a proper campsite earlier. The only times I've seen them they've been in campsites with large pitches including one that was pitched up on the same site as me for at least a week last year.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Pross wrote:
    orraloon wrote:
    Ready grated? Wossa matter wid u? Do you buy prepped mashed potato as well? Jeez. Or. Cheese.

It's sometimes on offer at a cheaper price per 100g than non-grated so why pay more and then spend time grating it?

currently 250g of grated cheese 2 for £3 - 220g non-grated is £1.55 no offer.

I would suggest buying grated and melting it back into a block.
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Raised an intriguing point.
    If you grated your own cheese, how long would you keep it for?
    How long does pre grated cheese keep for? I'd guess much longer. Why?

why would there be any difference? unless you are comparing unopened grated cheese with cheese you have grated yourself which is exactly the same as opening a block of cheese and wondering why the unopened one lasts longer.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Pross
    Chris Bass wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    orraloon wrote:

PBlakeney wrote:

why would there be any difference? unless you are comparing unopened grated cheese with cheese you have grated yourself which is exactly the same as opening a block of cheese and wondering why the unopened one lasts longer.

I took a look at a packet of grated cheese and apparently it contains potato starch. Might explain why it melts differently and could possibly change how long it keeps for.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Pre packed grated cheese has potato starch added, I presume to stop it sticking together in the bag.
  • chris_bass
    when i was younger i knew the pinnacle of my saturday afternoons/evenings would becoming discussing cheese, grated cheese and it's additives!
  • Chris Bass wrote:
    when i was younger i knew the pinnacle of my saturday afternoons/evenings would becoming discussing cheese, grated cheese and it's additives!

Grate Expectations.

I’ll get my coat......
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    Pross wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    orraloon wrote:

PBlakeney wrote:

I took a look at a packet of grated cheese and apparently it contains potato starch. Might explain why it melts differently and could possibly change how long it keeps for.
    My wife (inexplicably) bought some grated Parmesan.
    Contents - Dried cheese and preservatives.
    Storage - Out of date February 2020. Once opened store in a cool dark place. Do NOT refrigerate. (No note of use within x days once opened).
    I am sceptical.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    PBlakeney wrote:
    I am sceptical.

That has long been established.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Pross
    Why has Katie Dereham decided to present Last Night of the Proms in her pyjamas?
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    How much of poundland is £1, 50%?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    Pross wrote:
    orraloon wrote:

Have you changed your mind? From the other thread.
    Pross wrote:

On a related theme, packets of grated cheese. How hard is it to grate a block of cheese for yourself?
  • pblakeney
    Pinno wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    I am sceptical.

And self declared, cynical too.. :wink: It is possible to be a skeptical cynic about others and also a happy optimist about themself. I think.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Bondurant wrote:
    People who put cheddar on lasagne

ok what would you recommend instead then...
  • pblakeney
    awavey wrote:
    Bondurant wrote:
    People who put cheddar on lasagne

ok what would you recommend instead then...
    To be truly traditional, none.
    Bechemal sauce.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Yes but on top of the top layer of bechemal?

I use cheddar as the flavour is not as strong so you can layer it more thickly
  • chris_bass
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    I am sceptical.

And self declared, cynical too.. :wink: It is possible to be a skeptical cynic about others and also a happy optimist about themself. I think.

I thought the difference was skeptical was not believing something until you had good reason to and cynical was not believing something even when you had reason to so can you be a skeptical cynic?
  • pblakeney
    Chris Bass wrote:
    I thought the difference was skeptical was not believing something until you had good reason to and cynical was not believing something even when you had reason to so can you be a skeptical cynic?
    In my case the cynicism is usually about people's motives rather than facts, so yes. :wink:
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Why a certain kind of people are always serious and take other people as always being serious too.

Life is supposed to be fun. If it isn't, adopting a miserably serious demeanour is hardly going to help.

(Oh, this is NOT in reply to anything on this thread).
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,485
    mfin wrote:
    Life is supposed to be fun.
    What ever gave you that idea?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,164
    rjsterry wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    Maybe he's been spending some time outside of Cake Stop?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    rjsterry wrote:
    mfin wrote:

Used to work with a chap who'd always tell people 'Life's hard, then you die' I suspect for millions around the world that's about it.

Life might be fun for a privileged few, but for most people, most of the time, it isn't.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    keef66 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    mfin wrote:

Used to work with a chap who'd always tell people 'Life's hard, then you die' I suspect for millions around the world that's about it.

Life might be fun for a privileged few, but for most people, most of the time, it isn't.

Simple lesson for most of us on here at least ...

Don't Live to Work, Work to Live.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    Slowbike wrote:
    keef66 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    mfin wrote:

Complicated by family.

"Work so my family can live".

We're just meat being shovelled into a grave and don't you forget it.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Slowbike wrote:
    keef66 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    mfin wrote:

Complicated by family.

"Work so my family can live".

We're just meat being shovelled into a grave and don't you forget it.

Exactly - if we're just meat being shovelled into a grave (although I have no intention of being buried - you can burn me ...) then what we do to live becomes irrelevant - living is more important.

You've got a little sprog - do you think they'll thank you later on in life for earning more money or for spending more time with them?
    Of course, there is a balance - but the one thing you cannot buy is more time.... so spend that time wisely.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    Slowbike wrote:

You've got a little sprog - do you think they'll thank you later on in life for earning more money or for spending more time with them?
    Of course, there is a balance - but the one thing you cannot buy is more time.... so spend that time wisely.

Ah, the naivety of suggesting it's about more money.

How about, I do a long commute and don't see her in the week so her mother brings her up and not some random in a nursery?
  • keef66 wrote:

GOOD!!! :D
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Lagrange wrote:
    keef66 wrote:

GOOD!!! :D

Do you work for HMRC??
  • chris_bass
    keef66 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    mfin wrote:

How do you know if something is fun unless there is stuff that isn't fun?

you could argue that the less fun a person has the more fun that fun is for that person. Like the opposite to being a drug addict - the more drugs you take the less effect they have so you need more drugs to get the same effect - it is why rock stars often die at 27 - it is the "sweet spot" for having taken drugs for long enough that you need a fair amount to get the high you want but still young and foolish enough to not no when to stop and so you overdose!

sorry for the tangent! having a weird day - and weird for me is very weird!