World Champs build up

Comments

• Does anyone have the link to the route through Harrogate? My brother in law's brother has a bar in town so I want to know the ease with which I can make a base there and head out to watch them come past each lap
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    Does anyone have the link to the route through Harrogate? My brother in law's brother has a bar in town so I want to know the ease with which I can make a base there and head out to watch them come past each lap

If you're not stood continuously in the same place you'll lose it.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Gah well that will be a pain as, like Rick, I will have a small child in tow who, despite my best efforts to dissuade him, seems intent on coming with me.

Nonetheless, I am super excited for this. The World Championships in the county of my birth.
  • I’ve only been to Harrogate once, seems nice but not a great of bars/ restaurants etc. Is it going to be absolutely rammed everywhere on the Sunday of the men’s race and therefore not actually much fun going? Just asking cos I’ll be taking the wife and a couple of her friends and they have no interest in cycling (but live vaguely close).

Alternative is that we see them another weekend and I go somewhere else on the route on my own?
  • Anyone heading to watch the start of the Men’s TT on the Wednesday in Northallerton? I grew up there so it’s slightly mad that this is happening. Can imagine some of the locals aren’t happy that the weekly market is cancelled...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,218
    I'll chuck Sam Bennett into the mix. He's far more than a typical sprinter but is likely to suffer from a lack of team support.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    Today's Vuelta stage winner Cavagna part of a French squad picked with a view to supporting Alaphilippe 100 per cent. No Bardet, Pinot or Barguil in the team. It's probably not hard enough for him, but rule my man out at your peril.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Today's Vuelta stage winner Cavagna part of a French squad picked with a view to supporting Alaphilippe 100 per cent. No Bardet, Pinot or Barguil in the team. It's probably not hard enough for him, but rule my man out at your peril.

Should be fun.

Worlds are always fun in build up and rarely live up to it.

But it’s the worlds, so it matters!
  • gsk82 wrote:
    Does anyone have the link to the route through Harrogate? My brother in law's brother has a bar in town so I want to know the ease with which I can make a base there and head out to watch them come past each lap

You just need a hosepipe from your brother in law's bar to your spot.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    gsk82 wrote:

You just need a hosepipe from your brother in law's bar to your spot.

last time there was a hosepipe involved in a pro cycling course it didnt end well... #justsaying https://video.eurosport.com/cycling/vuelta-a-espana/2019/la-vuelta-a-espana-2019-oh-no-this-is-a-disaster-crash-wipes-out-jumbo-visma_vid1231648/video.shtml
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    I've decided what the hell, it won't happen again and I'm coming up to Leeds

And I've bought a rainbow jersey. Lets see who I can get to sign it.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • DeadCalm
    inseine wrote:
    Dutch;
    Van der Poel, Mollema, Niki Terpstra, Mike Teunissen, Pieter Weening, Sebastian Langeveld, Jos van Emden, Dylan van Baarle

Strong
    History not on the Dutch side in this race.

Without looking at google or PCS, can anyone name the last Dutch rider to podium in the men's WC road race? I couldn't.

Also, who can name the 14 nations to have had at least one champion since a Dutchman last won it? Most are obvious.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    DeadCalm wrote:
    inseine wrote:
    Dutch;
    Van der Poel, Mollema, Niki Terpstra, Mike Teunissen, Pieter Weening, Sebastian Langeveld, Jos van Emden, Dylan van Baarle

Strong

Without looking at google or PCS, can anyone name the last Dutch rider to podium in the men's WC road race? I couldn't.

Also, who can name the 14 nations to have had at least one champion since a Dutchman last won it? Most are obvious.

Initially I was going to go for Rooks in 1991, but then I recalled that Leon van Bon was in the group that contested the win in that weird Worlds in, I think, 97, when Brochard won.

On the other one; Spain, Slovakia, Italy, France, UK, Norway, Australia, USA, Latvia, Belgium, Switzerland, Portugal, Ireland and Poland.
  • DeadCalm
    andyp wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    inseine wrote:
    Dutch;

Strong

Initially I was going to go for Rooks in 1991, but then I recalled that Leon van Bon was in the group that contested the win in that weird Worlds in, I think, 97, when Brochard won.

On the other one; Spain, Slovakia, Italy, France, UK, Norway, Australia, USA, Latvia, Belgium, Switzerland, Portugal, Ireland and Poland.
    Top marks.
    Team My Man 2022:

• rick_chasey
    Dumoulin wasn’t far off last year...
  • RichN95.
    Delete
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    Are the riders from the vuelta are going to be to knackered? Super brutal slog.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,579
    Geraint Thomas saying he may not contest the TT. Rohan Dennis yet to confirm too. Gamesmanship? Or up for grabs to an outside bet this year?
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • RichN95.
    CarbonClem wrote:
    Geraint Thomas saying he may not contest the TT. Rohan Dennis yet to confirm too. Gamesmanship? Or up for grabs to an outside bet this year?
    Someone needs to explain to Thomas that unless GB get a rider in the top ten they will only have one TT slot at the Olympics. And, if fit, Froome will get it not him. So he needs to get a second slot.
  • thefog
    thefog Posts: 197
    I’ve only been to Harrogate once, seems nice but not a great of bars/ restaurants etc. Is it going to be absolutely rammed everywhere on the Sunday of the men’s race and therefore not actually much fun going? Just asking cos I’ll be taking the wife and a couple of her friends and they have no interest in cycling (but live vaguely close).

Alternative is that we see them another weekend and I go somewhere else on the route on my own?

https://images.app.goo.gl/Jmx7YiKEgF7FAbBd7

https://images.app.goo.gl/bZjoCRfr9jsg3Tma9

https://images.app.goo.gl/mC2ugwqyEX4269WP6

Given the volume of people for the tour, a more restricted fan park (which looks like the following )
    https://images.app.goo.gl/xBE8oorSBQftDtWc9

You will get a spot to view but you may need to move around.

Those planning on viewing in 2-3 places could be disappointed about accessing their desired viewing point.
  • thefog
    thefog Posts: 197

Which bar?
  • Popped out for the first ride in ages yesterday due to knee-knack and laziness. Turns out I'm still lazy and knee is still knackered.

The route I'd chosen more or less at random took me along part of the U23 and para-cycling courses, and saw someone out on the para course on a handcycle. I have no idea if they were a competitor having a look at the route or just someone out for a ride, but I did like the sudden realisation that adding the para-cycling to the Worlds has given another group of people the opportunity to go out and ride the same roads as the pros.

Looking forward to this now.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Interested on getting the locals opinions here.

My plan had been to camp somewhere outside Harrogate (looked like there are plenty around), cycle to one of the early climbs then cycle into Harrogate to get a spot on the finishing circuit. Does that sound workable?

We're only in Manchester so we could just drive over for the day, but I had wanted to make more of a weekend of it.

Cheers :)
  • RichN95.
    Another question for locals. Due to making an error in my hotel booking I'm going to be in Yorkshire a day longer than planned. I'll be in Leeds - any recommendations on things to do? Don't say get on a train to York - I'm doing that anyway.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Leeds is lovely for a day wondering round the shops if that’s your thing, especially the corn exchange, kirkgate market and Victorian arcade.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    In York you have to go to the railway museum
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:
    Another question for locals. Due to making an error in my hotel booking I'm going to be in Yorkshire a day longer than planned. I'll be in Leeds - any recommendations on things to do? Don't say get on a train to York - I'm doing that anyway.

Royal armouries if you’re into that.
  • I’ll be coming from the Lakes to catch the Elite mens race. Not really knowing the route that well I was thinking of catching them go through Aysgarth and then cycling along to Leyburn to catch them a second time. Does that sound doable? Any better options? We want to get back to watch the end of the race on TV so don’t want to head as far as Harrogate.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,579
    Bernal, Kwia and Nibs all no shows thus far ...
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • TheFog wrote:

Which bar?

It's called the Disappearing Chin on Beulah Street. I've found it's a short walk from there to the fan zone, so I will organise my day around there, and hopefully walk up on to the higher part of the course during the middle of the race