Comments

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    edited September 2019
    Cavagna doing a good pain face there.

Bennett in 2nd
  • Great ride - Cavagna takes it, by 5 seconds from the bunch
  • Bennett second
  • DQS with yet another incredibly strong performance.
    Unbelievably consistent across the board.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Did Carlton just quip about a fire in a block of flats?
  • Timeable gap after Valverde?

Edit: yep, 3 secs
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    Did Carlton just quip about a fire in a block of flats?

Yes. Whether or not it was a fire I don't know but there was certainly enough smoke to suggest it might have been.
  • Pross
    Excellent win that and Bennett looking very good on a difficult uphill sprint. Could do well at the Worlds but will struggle for team support.
  • Pross wrote:
    Did Carlton just quip about a fire in a block of flats?

Yes. Whether or not it was a fire I don't know but there was certainly enough smoke to suggest it might have been.
    Definitely a fire, as opposed to a "barbecue":

https://twitter.com/nyvelocity/status/1 ... 76384?s=20

Was obvious when it came on screen what was happening. Well, to everyone apart from Carlton... :roll:
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,873
    That was pretty bad from Movistar.
    One day they will get really shafted by the rest of the peloton.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    I thought they had...and today was just another chapter in the story?
    Half man, Half bike
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,549
    No class that team.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Dorset Boy wrote:

Movistar already have a rep for this. It will definitely come back to bite them. It could also follow individual Movistar riders when they move teams.

Forget all that unwritten rule etiquette böllöcks, the peloton makes the rules, the peloton enforces them. And the peleton has a long memory.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Watching the highlights now, and it looks like typical Movistar shithousery to me.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Lopez not impressed at all by Movistar attacking immediately after the crash. He knows they have form, and show no respect!
  • Dorset Boy wrote:
    Lopez not impressed at all by Movistar attacking immediately after the crash. He knows they have form, and show no respect!

Astana have a track record for doing exactly the same.
  • Pross
    Orla, Wiggins and Smith were unanimous in saying Movistar were already racing at the time which is why they were up front away from the crash and that Valverde eventually slowed things up when he didn't need to.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Pross wrote:
    Orla, Wiggins and Smith were unanimous in saying Movistar were already racing at the time which is why they were up front away from the crash and that Valverde eventually slowed things up when he didn't need to.
    Here's a fan's video of the crash. I don't see any Movistar riders at the front.

https://twitter.com/39x28web/status/1172557385900199936

And as for Millar suggesting Valverde can't do anything, he's got instructions from the DS. Please. Valverde could have that DS fired just for mocking his hair plugs.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Dorset_Boy
    Owain Doull not impressed either. "Not a classy thing to do"
  • Pross
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Here's a fan's video of the crash. I don't see any Movistar riders at the front.

And as for Millar suggesting Valverde can't do anything, he's got instructions from the DS. Please. Valverde could have that DS fired just for mocking his hair plugs.

I'm just reporting what was said, all three agreed the racing was on at the time and Orla in particular was quite vocal about the criticism.
  • Looked a bit naughty but if Wiggins and Smith think it was just about acceptable ...? I suppose bottom line is they did pull the plug voluntarily so it'll probably not have teams looking to pay back down the line.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Pretty horrible to watch, that.

I mean, shooting in portrait, FFS...
  • RichN95.
    All said, I'm always disappointed when a team feels they have to issue an apology

https://twitter.com/Movistar_Team/statu ... 2577193986

I remember when Contador was forced to apologise for Schleck's lousy gear shifting.
  • Also presumably Movistar have the excuse that they were trying to put some time into Quintana?
  • Pross wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pross wrote:

I'm just reporting what was said, all three agreed the racing was on at the time and Orla in particular was quite vocal about the criticism.

Magnus Backstedt on International had quite the opposite view. He said pretty much what Rich said about them having to have passed by the crash. It was the second guy into the bend after all, who was the first on the deck.
    In trying to defend the team's action Arrieta contradicts himself.

Not sure why Orla's view should carry any more weight than anybody on the average cycling forum, tbh.

Another view of the crash that shows that everybody must have what had happened.

https://twitter.com/TrainerwebCoach/sta ... 5892326401
  • cq20
    cq20 Posts: 207
    I think Orla was making a more general point about unwritten rules wrt crashes rather than just this particular incident. Wiggins and Smith did support Movistar’s action but during live commentary Kelly took the apparently more prevalent view that Movistar saw their chance to capitalise on rivals misfortunes and drilled it. (IIRC, Vacansoleil did the same to Movistar a few years ago as payback for a previous “unethical “ Movistar attack)
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    Also presumably Movistar have the excuse that they were trying to put some time into Quintana?
    Hahaha hat! :lol:
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • Whatever you think about Movistar, tours would be duller without them :D
  • RichN95.
    Whatever you think about Movistar, tours would be duller without them :D
    I've said in the past that people who want to ban radios and powermeters actually want to ban sensible tactics. I think Movistar are showing this.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    "There’s always a lot of confusion straight after a fall and it takes time to know who’s been affected, and who’s been held up behind. Before we knew he was down we were already 50 seconds in front and we had to keep chasing the break before the last climb of the day.

"It’s really unfortunate that it was the race leader who was caught up, but we didn’t have any choice but to keep going by the time we found out because there were other teams riding hard as well."

No not a Movistar DS speaking about yesterday but Team Sky Sports Director Marcus Ljungqvist defending their decision not to wait for Valverde on stage 4 of the 2012 Vuelta. At the time of Valverde's crash Sky were massing on the front but hadn't yet created any splits. Valverde claims it was the Sky riders pushing their way to the front that caused the crash. Sky did not wait for Valverde. Valverde lost the race lead.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet