La Vuelta 2019, Stage 18: Comunidad de Madrid. Colmenar Viejo > Becerril de la Sierra 12/09/2019

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
edited September 2019 in Pro race
La Vuelta 2019, Stage 18: Comunidad de Madrid. Colmenar Viejo > Becerril de la Sierra 12/09/2019 - 177,5 km

At 177.5 kilometres, the 18th stage of the Vuelta a España travels over four intermediate climbs from Colmenar Viejo to Becerril de la Sierra. The race route takes in several loops in a condensed area just north of Madrid and is played out in the middle mountains.

The 18th stage of La Vuelta ventures into the mountains of the Sierra de Guadarrama and Cuenca Alta del Manzanares. Following 20 kilometres on the flat, the uphill-party starts. The route includes four intermediate ascents before the race ends with a descent.

0d244

First up is the Puerto Navacerrada. The 11.8 kilometres ascent at 6.3% runs to the peak at 1,860 metres. After a few kilometres at that altitude the route plunges down to the foot of Puerto de la Morcuera.

The Morcuera is tackled twice, the first time on the easier northern side: 13.2 kilometres at 5% and very steady. On descent the riders move through Miraflores de la Sierra, only to return to the village some 23 kilometres later after a local lap.

aceaf

They go back up the same roads that they just descended. Again, the Morcuera is a very steady climb, although somewhat steeper on this side: 10.4 kilometres at 6.7%.

486fd

The route continues to the Puerto de Cotos. At 13.9 kilometres, the climb is marked by an average gradient of 4.8%. The first four kilometres go up at 2 to 3% and the rest of the slope is hovering around 6%. In fact, the Cotos is familiar terrain, as it is the descent of the Navacerrada, which was the first ascent of the day.

963eb

Just like before, the route stays at altitude for a while before descending on the side that the riders climbed before.
Instead of returning all the way to Colmenar Viejo, the route turns right for a false flat (3%) run-in of 4 kilometres into Becerril de la Sierra.

c38fb

Favourites 18th stage 2019 Vuelta a España
Attackers are treated in Spain, and this could be another lucky shot for the breakaway.However, while this may not be the hardest route, but that does not necessarily mean that no harm can be done. Four years ago, Tom Dumoulin lost La Vuelta on these very roads.

*** Thomas De Gendt, Jakob Fuglsang, Tao Geoghegan Hart
** Lawson Craddock, Ruben Guerreiro, Gianluca Brambilla
* Primoz Roglic, Miguel Ángel López, Alejandro Valverde, Tadej Pogacar

Colmenar Viejo
1 stage of La Vuelta have departed from Colmenar Viejo

48,614 inhabitants.
It is now forty years since La Vuelta last had a start in Colmenar Viejo (1979). It is a city devoted to sport in everyday life, hosting numerous cycling events for young and amateur cyclists, such as the challenge involving the mountain passes in the Guadarrama range -Desafío de los Puertos de Guadarrama-, organised jointly by Unipublic and the Madrid Cycling Federation. Colmenar will hold the start for the final act of La Vuelta 19, where the main contenders will vie for victory along the roads running through the mountain ranges in central Spain - the Sistema Central.

OgoTnZMaUXPbdaV-800x450-noPad.jpg?1492863044

Castillo_de_los_Mendoza_-_Manzanares_el_Real_-_Madrid_-_Espa%C3%B1a.jpg

Becerril de la Sierra
Unprecedented Vuelta finale

5,457 inhabitants.
Becerril de la Sierra shares its history with numerous other towns in the Community of Madrid. It is a cattle and sheep farming area that has evolved in recent decades to become more diverse and home to many more people. The town is surrounded by peaks within the mountain range Sierra de Guadarrama, and an obligatory mountain pass for cycling enthusiasts in Madrid.

5005995Master.jpg

club-todovertical.jpg
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• So it turns out Steve Morabito is still riding.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    Now, if only Valverde had sat on Roglic's wheel out of the wind and been nicely rested for today instead of the other way round...
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Anyone know what flag Wout Poels has on his kit? Doesn’t look like the Dutch flag although haven’t seen a clear shot of it.
  • Lots of animation but the prospects for a second dramatic stage not high at this point.
    Ineos have their big two in the break, but Astana and Movistar have only Fraile and Olivera, marked by Powless for Jumbo Roglic.

Both teams allowing Jumbo to set the pace behind.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Anyone know what flag Wout Poels has on his kit? Doesn’t look like the Dutch flag although haven’t seen a clear shot of it.
    The Dutch region of Limburg

250px-Limburg_in_the_Netherlands.svg.png

250px-Flag_of_Limburg_%28Netherlands%29.svg.png

Team-INEOS.jpg
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    RichN95 wrote:
    Anyone know what flag Wout Poels has on his kit? Doesn’t look like the Dutch flag although haven’t seen a clear shot of it.

Team-INEOS.jpg

Curious... guess this follows the Welsh flags etc and so wonder why doesn't Moscon get the Sudtirol flag?
  • As soon as Roglic loses Kuss, Pogacar decides to pull on the front.
    Go figure. :roll:

Free Vino. :P
  • RichN95.
    dish_dash wrote:

Curious... guess this follows the Welsh flags etc and so wonder why doesn't Moscon get the Sudtirol flag?
    Rider's choice I believe
  • To think that folks used to complain about riding to protect their GC spots in the Tour. Everybody desperately trying to hold on to what they've got and risking nothing.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    To think that folks used to complain about riding to protect their GC spots in the Tour. Everybody desperately trying to hold on to what they've got and risking nothing.
    What exactly should anyone be doing differently?
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    Another Colombian win with Higuita
    Quintana losing out about a minute to Valverde and swap GC podium places
    Superman claiming back white jersey time out of Pogacar
  • Sergio Higuita deservedly holds on for the win after going solo for so many kms.
    Pogacar finally runs out of gas as Lopez regains the white jersey.
    Roglic takes 2 seconds out of Valverde.

Please bring back the crosswinds.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    There aren't many flat stages left for quintana to gain back any time...
    Half man, Half bike
  • RichN95 wrote:

Team-INEOS.jpg

Cheers - Swift should swap the union flag for the white rose...
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Daft question - why was Quintana in green? Bennett was second in the points classification, so surely he’d take it with Roglic wearing red (and leading the points)? What have I missed?
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • larkim wrote:
    Daft question - why was Quintana in green? Bennett was second in the points classification, so surely he’d take it with Roglic wearing red (and leading the points)? What have I missed?

Brian Smith expkained it on twitter - something like the nat champs jersey takes priority over babysitting a jersey if the rider wants.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • RichN95.

Cheers - Swift should swap the union flag for the white rose...
    In other Ineos flag news, Diego Rosa favours the flag of Piedmont

51BE9GBw4ML._SX466_.jpg

If I rode for Ineos I'd try and have a different flag each year

Also 90 Grand Tour stages since Ineos won one.
  • ridgerider
    Ineos are finished
    Half man, Half bike
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    That are not Finnish.
    They are a British team. :lol:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ridgerider
    Monaconese surely?

So how many wins have they had since Cav's last victory?
    Half man, Half bike
  • EF energy a more winning team than Ineos. Budgetsuperiority
  • RichN95.
    Ridgerider wrote:
    Froome 12, Thomas 3, Kiryienka 2, Uran, Viviani, Landa, Roche, Nieve one each
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Has anyone mentioned VdB yet?
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Ridgerider wrote:
    Monaconese surely?
    Monégasque.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • RichN95.
    Daniel Freibe on twitter inevitably. That boy loves his 90s dopers.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    RichN95 wrote:
    Daniel Freibe on twitter inevitably. That boy loves his 90s dopers.

When you learn to love cycling in the '90s, it's hard not to.
  • ridgerider
    RichN95 wrote:
    Ridgerider wrote:
    Why do you have to go and spoil it all by quoting facts! :D
    Half man, Half bike
  • RichN95.
    Ridgerider wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Ridgerider wrote:
    It's only an average of 1.00 per GT. Froome averages 0.93 on his own (while at Sky/Ineos), 1.17 for GTs he finished.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Ridgerider wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Ridgerider wrote:
    It's only an average of 1.00 per GT. Froome averages 0.93 on his own (while at Sky/Ineos), 1.17 for GTs he finished.

If you judge teams by something that isn't their aim, how many GT GC wins have Quickstep had? Failures.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:
    Ridgerider wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Ridgerider wrote:

If you judge teams by something that isn't their aim, how many GT GC wins have Quickstep had? Failures.
    As I have mentioned before, my point in tracking how long Ineos have gone without a stage win isn't to point at their failure, but to point to the absurdity of the idea that Ineos 'dominate' cycling and it's bad for the sport. Instead it might be the over emphasis on the yellow jersey that is bad for the sport.