Getting There

essex-commuter
essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
edited October 2019 in Commuting chat
Lost my Father 2 years ago and 6 months prior to that I was visiting him every other day in his Care Home that I chose as it was nice and also just round the corner to my office. Due to this I was driving in more than ever, and after he passed away...well I just couldn't be bothered for a while. The more I didn't cycle the more depressed I felt, it started effecting my family life.

My weight crept up without me really noticing (like it does!) until last May when I really had to take a reality check. Cue cutting out the crap food & drink and ramping back the bike commuting malarkey.

Fast forward 4 months and I'm 2 stone lighter. Feel much better on the bike (don't mind looking at the shop window reflections now!) and all my work clothes fit me nicely again, I no longer look like a sack of sh1t tied in the middle. I haven't driven to my office for the past 2 months.

Maybe half a stone to go but I'm feeling good again. All thanks to the bike.

Have a good day all.

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    :)

Good - I find cycling & sailing both therapeutic - although I haven't had to go through losing a parent yet ....

I could still do with dropping 1/2 stone though ... :(
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Glad that you're managing to deal with it and getting back to where you want to be.

My mum passed away last year and I thought I was dealing with it until I had a meltdown in the O2 carpark one day. She passed just a few weeks before we got the news that my wife was pregnant after over 2 years of trying and I every now and again feel a little sad that she never got to meet Ben and that Ben will never meet his nan.

I don't think it had a massive effect on my cycling, but I do seem so go through periods where, for whatever reason I stop commuting for a couple of months, pile on a few kilos (more like 10) and then decide I really need to start again. The last break was probably due to the birth of Ben and often the lack of sleep meant I haven't had the energy to cycle commute and haven't had the time to cycle at weekends.

It normally doesn't take long to get those additional kilos off, but I have never been able to get down to the weight I was at back in 2014 when I was probably at the peak of my cycling time.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • I lost my Mother 20 years ago, she was in her early 60's. It was quick, one week she didn't feel well, the next week she passed away.

With Dad it was much more drawn out. When he could no longer cope 100% I moved him from his house he'd lived in all his life to a warden controlled flat just down the road from where I live. 6 months later he needed to go into a care home.

Losing my Dad was a lot harder, it had a much bigger effect on me. I was lucky though, he was a great man, always said to me do what you think is best for me (I'm an only child so I was the only person he really saw). We were very close. He made 86 years old so nothing to grumble at.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Sorry for your loss, and well done on shedding the weight.

I'm hoping that my impending redundancy and easing into a part time job means I can finally commute by bike and drop a bit of blubber...
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I lost my Mother 20 years ago, she was in her early 60's. It was quick, one week she didn't feel well, the next week she passed away.

With Dad it was much more drawn out. When he could no longer cope 100% I moved him from his house he'd lived in all his life to a warden controlled flat just down the road from where I live. 6 months later he needed to go into a care home.

Losing my Dad was a lot harder, it had a much bigger effect on me. I was lucky though, he was a great man, always said to me do what you think is best for me (I'm an only child so I was the only person he really saw). We were very close. He made 86 years old so nothing to grumble at.

Yes, 86 is not a bad "innings" as they say. I wonder if i'll make it that long. It's great that you had such a good relationship with you and I'm sure he loved very much your visits every other day.

We moved my nan (my mum's mum) into a warden controlled flat when she didn't seem to be able to cope and 20 years later she's still there, their longest-serving tenant and a surprise to us all as she's pretty much been ill and at death's door (according to her anyway) for pretty much my entire adult life.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh wrote:
    and I'm sure he loved very much your visits every other day.

Oh he did, especially Friday's when I'd take a couple of beers in and we'd sit chatting! The staff always turned a blind eye :D

I used to scour the internet for old photographs of the town he was brought up in and show him a different set every Friday. It was good, gave me something to talk about to him, and gave him something to get his mind working!
  • Well done on the weight loss and commuting etc. I lost my Dad 22 years ago to a heart condition, He was only 54. Its still a difficult one but you learn to deal with it. Cycling has helped me deal with many things, mental health etc and keeping the weight down, I'm probably fitter now at 48 than I've ever been in my life!

Keep it up mate!
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    Missed this previously as I was away.

The initial situation is of course very saddening but it's great that you can enjoy getting back on the bike and feeling/noticing the benefits.

It really is more than just a form of transport, it's a form of therapy too.
    FCN = 4