Seemingly trivial things that cheer you up

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,459
    Andy9964 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    It might cheer you up to think he'll probably end up doing jobs for his wife for no pay :)
    You could have given me a couple of days grace, before the reality check :(
    Sorry Andy, but to be fair you probably should have thought of that before you jacked in the job. Retire in haste, repent at leisure? :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • cowsham
    cowsham Posts: 1,399
    orraloon wrote:
    Being passed by a vehicle with the name John Lydon on it. Nah, not that one, was the van of a painter decorator. At least, I think so...

:lol: for a completely different reason. ( Someone I know )
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674
    Cowsham wrote:
    orraloon wrote:
    Being passed by a vehicle with the name John Lydon on it. Nah, not that one, was the van of a painter decorator. At least, I think so...

Ooh ooh, ICMFP. You are Sid. Oh no hang on... You are Malcolm McLaren. Oh no hang on... You are Glenn Matlock. That's the one.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,321
    Andy9964 wrote:
    ...retiring at the grand old age of 55.

Nice one.

I could retire today (and i'm 49).
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • cowsham
    edited September 2019
    orraloon wrote:
    Cowsham wrote:
    orraloon wrote:

Ooh ooh, ICMFP. You are Sid. Oh no hang on... You are Malcolm McLaren. Oh no hang on... You are Glenn Matlock. That's the one.

Not that John no just a tw@t I know.
  • Not trivial but has definitely cheered me up - I'm off to Greece next week for a weeks sailing on a mates 51' yacht. Get some proper sailing in as on family holidays have to take it easy.
  • pinno
    Phil Gil. winning yet another stage at this years superb Vuelta and today's incredulous stage, That cheered me up.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738
    Pinno wrote:
    Phil Gil. winning yet another stage at this years superb Vuelta and today's incredulous stage, That cheered me up.
    + Valverde helping Roglic to chase down Quintana. :lol: :?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Being overtaken by a white van on the way home. Passenger stuck his head out of the window and called out "You're a really good cyclist......I'll give you that!"

I have no idea why I deserved that and the "I'll give you that" concerns me a bit; sort of implies a missing sentence at the start eg "You are a complete knob but....." but it was a seemingly trivial thing that cheered me up!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,628
    Rolf F wrote:
    Being overtaken by a white van on the way home. Passenger stuck his head out of the window and called out "You're a really good cyclist......I'll give you that!"

I have no idea why I deserved that and the "I'll give you that" concerns me a bit; sort of implies a missing sentence at the start eg "You are a complete knob but....." but it was a seemingly trivial thing that cheered me up!

Does sort of suggest that he knows you.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pinno
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    + Valverde helping Roglic to chase down Quintana. :lol: :?

I would love to have been a fly on the wall on their team bus.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    Jim Maxwell's enthusiasm for "THE SHIPPING FORECAST" on TMS
  • cowsham
    rjsterry wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

It's cos you avoided getting napped on the back of your head and ending up in the back of my van. Lucky THIS TIME!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Cowsham wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

It's cos you avoided getting napped on the back of your head and ending up in the back of my van. Lucky THIS TIME!

You could be right there! I did wave at him and he waved back. And he looked too hipstery to be your normal, run of the mill white van psycho.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Tashman wrote:

Ah, a fellow TMS listener. Well done that man!
  • Tashman
    Tashman wrote:

Need to drown out the tedium of office life with something
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    Tashman wrote:
    Tashman wrote:

Gets depressing at times though!
  • Kaotic.com. Brilliant - even better than Holby City if that is possible. :D
  • Tashman
    Pross wrote:
    Tashman wrote:
    Tashman wrote:

You've been to my office then!
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I too confess to loving TMS. Even the never ending chats about pigeons and getting cake envy. I never get free cake.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674
    Lovely ride over to catch ToB at Sun Rising Hill KoM, free coffee and cake, friendly people chatting away, sunshine, unfamiliar roads there and back giving some prompts for alternative ride routes in future. Capped by seeing myself on the live recording at roadside encouraging van Baarle and the Mitchelton guy as they toil up that wicked hill. Boxes ticked today.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Pross wrote:
    Tashman wrote:
    Tashman wrote:

what TMS :lol: yes its not quite as good as it used to be for sure imo, more commentating, less banter would be my changes to it
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    For the first time ever I triggered one of those "watch your speed" signs yesterday morning. I'd always assumed they didn't register bikes, but there were no cars anywhere near this time.
    But it was on a slight uphill, so disappointed with a green light and a thankyou for doing 18mph.
    But then on the way home there was another one and this time I managed to get a red light at 32. Very satisfying.
  • cowsham
    bompington wrote:
    For the first time ever I triggered one of those "watch your speed" signs yesterday morning. I'd always assumed they didn't register bikes, but there were no cars anywhere near this time.
    But it was on a slight uphill, so disappointed with a green light and a thankyou for doing 18mph.
    But then on the way home there was another one and this time I managed to get a red light at 32. Very satisfying.

Well done -- I've never been able to trigger one.
  • cowsham
    elbowloh wrote:
    I too confess to loving TMS. Even the never ending chats about pigeons and getting cake envy. I never get free cake.

I thought Transcranial Magnetic Simulation was banned now. A good slap and a run round a field is what you need.
  • Well I hope you're all listening to TMS at the moment, England going great guns!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    Well I hope you're all listening to TMS at the moment, England going great guns!

Must have been you that cursed them and led to 3 quick wickets! Still going well though and will be fun seeing what Buttler can do now they've got a healthy lead.
  • Pross wrote:
    Well I hope you're all listening to TMS at the moment, England going great guns!

Must have been you that cursed them and led to 3 quick wickets! Still going well though and will be fun seeing what Buttler can do now they've got a healthy lead.

Ha! Yes, I've just cut the grass and had headphones on listening and that exact thought did occur! Sorry...
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    Just strayed into the Last Night of the Proms on tv and they were playing Land of Hope and Glory and amongst the Union Flags and the flags of St George were quite a few EU flags and it makes me smile that there will be loads of gammons going absolutely apeshit about it.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,459
    crispybug2 wrote:
    Just strayed into the Last Night of the Proms on tv and they were playing Land of Hope and Glory and amongst the Union Flags and the flags of St George were quite a few EU flags and it makes me smile that there will be loads of gammons going absolutely apeshit about it.
    I would imagine that the waving of union jacks raises the blood pressure of quite few other people. I mean, those flag wavers must be nationalists/leave voters? And as for anyone waving a flag of St. George....
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]