Gear problems

thebluevoice
thebluevoice Posts: 31
edited September 2019 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi!

My 3x10 2015 canyon nerve 8.9 has just developed a problem whereby the chain will jump down from big to middle ring when under hard load.

It was ok the previous ride, had no offs and nothing was "banged".

Back peddling causes the chain to drop from big to middle and also middle to small, depending on the rear cog selected. It seems super senstive to cross chaining.

I've swapped over the rear derailleur from a spare bike and have the same problems.

Could this be chain wear? Its all original since 2015 - chain, cassette and chain rings?

Can't find my chain checker tool but was fine when I checked it earlier this year...

Edit: Put new chain on (must be using the chain checker tool incorrectly as the old chain had stretched quite a bit!) which has cured back peddling causing the chain to drop from big to middle and also middle to small.

However chain still jumping off in big ring under heavy load.

So far swapped derailleur and also chain..

Comments

• avalanche_expert
    avalanche_expert Posts: 177
    edited September 2019
    How many miles has the bike covered?

To still be on all of the original drivetrain after this long means it’s either been heavily neglected, or hardly ever ridden. Highly likely that it’s time to replace the cassette and chain rings. How often is the bike serviced?
  • Chain jumping off the front rings under load is a sure sign of a worn ring.
  • Thanks chaps, think you are correct!

Yes it's done quite a lot of miles, wouldn't say it's been been neglected in that it's cleaned and lubed regulary but agree it must be worn through normal use.

I suspected as much but thought it would have gradually started "playing up" rather working one ride then not the next type failure. Also, wouldn't have thought the big ring would have worn as quickly as the more used mid ring.

Anyways, swapped the crank over from the wifes bike and the jumping off when peddling hard didn't happen durring testing. Swapped back to mine and it did it again.

Found a big ring replacement on amazon so have that ordered (also ordered new jockey wheels for the original derailleur as they are worn too!).

Have noticed that the 3x10 xt stuff seemed out of stock at most places or expensive compared to more recent 11 speed?!
  • Thanks chaps, think you are correct!

Yes it's done quite a lot of miles, wouldn't say it's been been neglected in that it's cleaned and lubed regulary but agree it must be worn through normal use.

I suspected as much but thought it would have gradually started "playing up" rather working one ride then not the next type failure. Also, wouldn't have thought the big ring would have worn as quickly as the more used mid ring.

Anyways, swapped the crank over from the wifes bike and the jumping off when peddling hard didn't happen durring testing. Swapped back to mine and it did it again.

Found a big ring replacement on amazon so have that ordered (also ordered new jockey wheels for the original derailleur as they are worn too!).

Have noticed that the 3x10 xt stuff seemed out of stock at most places or expensive compared to more recent 11 speed?!

LOL! Sorry - but you did make me chuckle reading that. :D

Cleaning stuff is great, but it still wears out.

The advice offered is spot on and you seem to have come to the same conclusion.

Checking your chain for wear (correctly :lol: ) is advisable. If your chainring is that worn and you fit a new chain, you can actually wreck the chain quite quickly. That is why it is advisable to change chainring, cassette and chain at much the same time.

3x stuff is hard to source now as 1x is the new fad and made in much larger quantities. I still run 3x9 on my HT as it suits the riding that bike is used for. It's almost retro! I can still find replacement chainrings and got a brand new SLX 3x9 front mech from a `retro` eBay shop for £30.

You should notice a nice difference when you've got everything sorted (you'll also notice how worn your chainring is compared to your new one).
    "Ride, crash, replace"