Rear specific tyre

RagnarL
RagnarL Posts: 63
edited September 2019 in MTB buying advice
Hi, currently looking for advice I have searched on the forum and can't find any answers to help my exact needs.

On my Sonder Evol (which is a beast still for the price) I have a WTB Trail Boss 2.4, Tough Fast Rolling 27.5 on the rear and recently after the weather changes and few of my local trails and bike park I have noticed the back tyre loosing some grip on few occasions especially on a few sloppy conditions

Did more research and like I thought trail boss not the best in mud/wet conditions.

Can anyone recommend a rear tyre that would be suitable for sloppy/mud conditions ??? that still rolls fast aswell. I prefer a larger size so in the range of 2.4 to 2.6 due to personal preference

I intend to keep my front tyre as is at present as don't seem to any major probs in any mud yet.

Currently still riding a few bike parks but getting out on the Moors still and starting to get a little boggy.

I have researched a lot but would like some non magazine type answers.

Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    a 2.4 to 2.6 will never be great in sloppy conditions, too much width and it sits on top and doesn't dig through the mud to the surface below, consider dropping to something like a 2.25 (Nobby Nic Pace compound is my favoured winter tyre)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    a 2.4 to 2.6 will never be great in sloppy conditions, too much width and it sits on top and doesn't dig through the mud to the surface below, consider dropping to something like a 2.25 (Nobby Nic Pace compound is my favoured winter tyre)

Okay many thanks it is something I have thought about going narrower but but local trails is very rooty just like having that extra bit of width at the back.

Well am gonna start looking at narrower at the back. Thanks
  • Continental Trail King 2.2" with the black chilli compound. It MUST have the bcc! If it doesn't say bcc then it's not! If it has a wire bead then its not bcc. The TK tyre is astonishing. For a grippy tyre, it is more fast rolling than it has a right to be, and has good life as long as you don't regularly ride on solid rock or tarmac. I got over 3000 miles on a set (and my grandson is using them still); my mate got 1000 in Wales. I bought them as a 3-season tyre but never found a reason to remove them for the Winter. So they stayed on all year round. :)

PS: They will never be as good in the mud as a proper mud tyre. But a mud tyre will never be as good as the TK wherever there isn't deep claggy mud. Ask yourself, how much of your riding is deep claggy mud?
  • Continental Trail King 2.2" with the black chilli compound. It MUST have the bcc! If it doesn't say bcc then it's not! If it has a wire bead then its not bcc. The TK tyre is astonishing. For a grippy tyre, it is more fast rolling than it has a right to be, and has good life as long as you don't regularly ride on solid rock or tarmac. I got over 3000 miles on a set (and my grandson is using them still); my mate got 1000 in Wales. I bought them as a 3-season tyre but never found a reason to remove them for the Winter. So they stayed on all year round. :)

PS: They will never be as good in the mud as a proper mud tyre. But a mud tyre will never be as good as the TK wherever there isn't deep claggy mud. Ask yourself, how much of your riding is deep claggy mud?

Again thanks very much will defo look into this one then aswell
  • RagnarL wrote:
    Continental Trail King 2.2" with the black chilli compound. It MUST have the bcc! If it doesn't say bcc then it's not! If it has a wire bead then its not bcc. The TK tyre is astonishing. For a grippy tyre, it is more fast rolling than it has a right to be, and has good life as long as you don't regularly ride on solid rock or tarmac. I got over 3000 miles on a set (and my grandson is using them still); my mate got 1000 in Wales. I bought them as a 3-season tyre but never found a reason to remove them for the Winter. So they stayed on all year round. :)

Again thanks very much will defo look into this one then aswell

I run the same tyres as Steve has suggested. They are a very good all-round tyre, great grip, pretty fast rolling and wear very well. Can't advise whether they are comparable to a 2.3/2.4 but they have a fairly wide profile.

Ultimately, no tyre works great in the real muddy slop, unless it is mud specific.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • Cheers for reply. Thing is my rims are 29mm inner isn't 2.2 a bit to close for comfort on the rims??
  • RagnarL wrote:
    Cheers for reply. Thing is my rims are 29mm inner isn't 2.2 a bit to close for comfort on the rims??

Conti do a 2.4" width, exact same spec.
    This from Schwalbe is useful for the rim width/tyre width discussion.

https://www.schwalbe.com/en/reifenmasse.html

According to the chart either will fit, but the 2.4 is more in the middle of the zone, the 2.2 is near the edge but acceptable.