COMPUTER WOES

freddiegrubb
freddiegrubb Posts: 448
edited September 2019 in The cake stop
Hello, I have a problem with my H/packard L/top, I struggle to get a clear screen during use & tap prod move the screen/lid to various angles. It is always clear when the lid is open about 50mm. as I type this the lid is fully open & it,s a struggle (heaps of squiggly lines as in the early days of tv.) then all of a sudden the screen is perfect. I suspect it may be the screen interface to the k.board connecting somehow through the lid hinges. My comp. knowledge is zero & I wonder is it worth a shop repair as it may cheaply made by robots/ repaired expensively by humans, it,s 5 yr. old & a point to ponder.Anybody out there experienced/solved this,all sensible comments welcome.

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    MF will be along in a moment to tell you what to do with it.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • zeee
    zeee Posts: 103
    Could be a loose connector to the lcd. If you are competent and not heavy handed you can try removing the bezel from around the screen and then may have to remove a few small screws to enable you to pull the display away from the lid. There should be a connector somewhere behind that. Maybe try removing/reseating that in the first instance. If that doesn't fix it then you can usually get a replacement screen on ebay for around 25 quid. Easy job to replace especially if you have already done the above. Depends how much time/money/effort you are willing to invest.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    It sounds like it could be the cable between the graphics output and the screen is fractured. Chances of being able to fix it depend on which model it is.
    If you post the model number of the laptop it should be easy enough to find out if the cable is replaceable. That is - if it's the cable at fault.
    As a work around - I'd plug in an external monitor and disable the internal screen - at least you get to use the laptop as a desktop....

Of course, before you do all that - it'd be worth checking that all your drivers are up to date and the vent ports aren't full of fluff causing overheating ...
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    From memory on HP the connector runs through the left hinge, its not prone to snapping but can come loose and the insulation can break up.
    Look up on youtube on how to take it apart (mini screwdrivers and a guitar pic or similar usually) the actual connector is usually a thin beige snap connection similar to inside a mobile phone so just go slow on it.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Because it's dependent on how far you open the lid |I suspect it's the connecting wires which pass through the hinge. You can usually find online somebody somewhere will have done a strip down and rebuild with photos or video. I took our old Samsung laptop to bits to clean out the cooling fan and replace the screen which had failed due to being grabbed while trying not to drop it...

You might be lucky and find the ribbon connector is available as a separate part
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    if it is old and a bit broken might be time for a new laptop.

there are a few good deals on here:
    http://www.ebaystores.co.uk/argos?aspec ... tegory=177

and if you use the app and are quick (the offer ends soon) you get a further 10% off
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Tried upgrading a Windows 7 compaq. It simply wasn't worth the effort. Its replacement was a fantastic improvement.
  • Thanks for the replies,I never thought about y/tube & have watched a few screen strip downs (seems easy enough) as in a previous life I,ve stripped down everything from 3.3kv.motors to delicate thryristor drives . Ive an old flatscreen monitor which I,ll try & if it,s okay open the l/top up & check the conn. cable. Hope it,s serviceable because a new P/C will be money away from proposed new bike.