World Champs build up

ShutupJens
ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
edited September 2019 in Pro race
Well the road signs are all springing up around Yorkshire now so I thought I'd get this started.

Who's excited? I live on the route of the elite mens race which is class - I can pop out to see them go by and then watch the remainder on telly

Comments

• Looking forward to it . Have the teams been finalised?
  • Just ridden the course on zwift....

7 laps of lumpiness with an uphill finish... my cash is on Sagan being in rainbows again
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    ShutupJens wrote:
    Well the road signs are all springing up around Yorkshire now so I thought I'd get this started.

Who's excited? I live on the route of the elite mens race which is class - I can pop out to see them go by and then watch the remainder on telly
    Get me a gritty pic of MVDP please! :)
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245
    Men-Elite-Road-Race-1.jpg

It's hard to see past fast finishers who can also do short climbs; Matthews, VdP, Sagan.

Anyone else?

Gilbert is obviously in scintilating form and will have a great time with him but i don't think the run in is quite hard enough for him.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    BTW, after all the panic, it looks like they've rebuilt the bridge that got washed out...
  • gdf
    gdf Posts: 26
    Glad this thread popped up. Hoping one of the locals might be able to help. I'm there for the week to catch as much of the event as I can. I've been using Google maps, estimated timings and looking at the road closures on the Worlds website, but still haven't come to a solid answer. Is it possible to get from the start in Leeds (but leaving before the race starts), out to one of the climbs and back to the Harrogate circuit and catch the elite mens race? If I have to sacrifice one of them then I don't need to be at the start, but I am staying in Leeds. I'll be in a car.
    It doesn't seem impossible, but trying to think how many other people will be doing similar things and how busy the roads/parking spots will be, and road closures/diversions is making me doubt it can be done. If anyone has any suggestions or is doing something similar please let me know. Want to make the most of it as I'm there.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    gdf wrote:
    Glad this thread popped up. Hoping one of the locals might be able to help. I'm there for the week to catch as much of the event as I can. I've been using Google maps, estimated timings and looking at the road closures on the Worlds website, but still haven't come to a solid answer. Is it possible to get from the start in Leeds (but leaving before the race starts), out to one of the climbs and back to the Harrogate circuit and catch the elite mens race? If I have to sacrifice one of them then I don't need to be at the start, but I am staying in Leeds. I'll be in a car.
    It doesn't seem impossible, but trying to think how many other people will be doing similar things and how busy the roads/parking spots will be, and road closures/diversions is making me doubt it can be done. If anyone has any suggestions or is doing something similar please let me know. Want to make the most of it as I'm there.

I don't know any specifics. But my uncle saw the tdf in 2014 in 2 different places. There actually wasn't much traffic within the circle of the route because people stayed off the roads.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • rick_chasey
    I'm also making the journey up.

Very excited. World champs in my second home. My life keeps taking me back to Yorkshire time after time and I'm very very excited that the World's are gonna be there.

I am hoping to nab a spot on the final loop, but i may have a little one in tow which could prove too challenging for anything so ambitious. I may try and work on the family to let me go solo or without the little one, but will have to see.

I just want a hardman's race, but not the hardman's weather, obviously.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    The Belgians have selected Evenepoel (along with Gilbert, Naesen, Teuns, van Avermaet + 3 TBA)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Men-Elite-Road-Race-1.jpg

It's hard to see past fast finishers who can also do short climbs; Matthews, VdP, Sagan.

Anyone else?

Gilbert is obviously in scintilating form and will have a great time with him but i don't think the run in is quite hard enough for him.

Allaphillipe?
  • rick_chasey
    Fair.

It'd be a beut for Boonen, but alas.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Fair.

haha, you need to let go... :D (you are right btw).
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    MvdP is going to take some beating. Trentin is also looking in good form as is Mike Theunissen. Ben Swift wouldn't be a bad outside bet though, proven form over long races and showing in today's ToB that the sort of terrain suits him.
  • gsk82
    philbar72 wrote:
    Fair.

haha, you need to let go... :D (you are right btw).

I assume you mean before he became a liability
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Pross wrote:
    MvdP is going to take some beating. Trentin is also looking in good form as is Mike Theunissen. Ben Swift wouldn't be a bad outside bet though, proven form over long races and showing in today's ToB that the sort of terrain suits him.
    swift is strong enough, but would probably have to get away solo. tactically, he's lacking as well. would like to see Gilbert win again but if it comes to a reduced bunch kick (which it should) then it probably would be a fast finisher like Trentin or VDP.
  • rick_chasey
    VdP will have a decent team too.

And at least one incredibly noisy roadside fan.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Dutch;
    Van der Poel, Mollema, Niki Terpstra, Mike Teunissen, Pieter Weening, Sebastian Langeveld, Jos van Emden, Dylan van Baarle

Strong
  • rick_chasey
    Woof.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    philbar72 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    swift is strong enough, but would probably have to get away solo. tactically, he's lacking as well. would like to see Gilbert win again but if it comes to a reduced bunch kick (which it should) then it probably would be a fast finisher like Trentin or VDP.
    Hard to see past VdP surely, he looks irresistible here https://video.eurosport.com/cycling/tou ... ideo.shtml

I know the competition will be tougher at the Worlds, but Trentin was one of the riders VdP absolutely destroyed here.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    im heading up Friday... going to catch the start in Leeds.. then train to finish and find somewhere to watch from there. Not sure where yet though, will check out the finish on Sat for the womens race.

Im supporting Sagan and will be taking all my Slovak tops to wear to show my colours
  • gsk82
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    philbar72 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Hard to see past VdP surely, he looks irresistible here https://video.eurosport.com/cycling/tou ... ideo.shtml

I know the competition will be tougher at the Worlds, but Trentin was one of the riders VdP absolutely destroyed here.

He won't be riding away from alaphilippe, gilbert and sagan like he did trentin, simon clarke and been swift.
  • gsk82 wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    philbar72 wrote:
    Pross wrote:

He won't be riding away from alaphilippe, gilbert and sagan like he did trentin, simon clarke and been swift.

He doesn't have to, just has to beat them.
  • rick_chasey
    gsk82 wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    philbar72 wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Mmmm he did something pretty close in Amstel Gold, which is just as long and arguably a tougher parcours.
  • gsk82 wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    philbar72 wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Mmmm he did something pretty close in Amstel Gold, which is just as long and arguably a tougher parcours.

And rode back to and finished in front of Sagan in RVV.
  • gsk82 wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    philbar72 wrote:
    Pross wrote:

And rode back to and finished in front of Sagan in RVV.

That must be a source of encouragement and motivation but certainly not a done deal
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    gsk82 wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    philbar72 wrote:
    Pross wrote:

...Where Simon Clarke came second. And Fuglsang held on for third from the break.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    gsk82 wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    philbar72 wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Yeah, except the above post specifically named Trentin! VdP made him look pedestrian there.

Anyway as per the other posts he has done other similar stuff. I agree that nothing's a done deal in cycling but he is looking really, really good.
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    Brabanste Pijl was the more impressive win for van der Poel. Absolutely slapped Matthews and Alaphillipe in a sprint having led out, after dealing with everything that was thrown at him
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    ShutupJens wrote:
    Brabanste Pijl was the more impressive win for van der Poel. Absolutely slapped Matthews and Alaphillipe in a sprint having led out, after dealing with everything that was thrown at him

Ahead of Amstel? :shock:
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    andyp wrote:
    ShutupJens wrote:

Ahead of Amstel? :shock:

I still can't believe that actually happened.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.