Anyone used Sram Force 1 groups for road riding?

vinnymarsden
vinnymarsden Posts: 560
edited September 2019 in Road buying advice
As the title suggests... Has anyone used the Sram Force 1 single crank groups for road riding?
I'm looking at a gravel bike to use on road/gravel mixture and wondered if anyone had used the groups for roadwork..and if so, their experience?
I know it was used in the UCI world Tour but the team folded after one season due to sponsorship issues so not much feedback there!
The one I've seen is 42 at front with an 11-42 at the back..some obvious compromises...but would be good to hear some real user feedback rather than opinions without any usage.
Cheers
Vinny

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    Yep, I have Force 1 (well, a mix of Force and Rival, not that it matters) on my winter bike. It has a 46 up front and an 11-42 cassette. The low gear is lower than the 36/32 I have on my summer bike, and while the highest gear is smaller, that doesn't really matter for what I use this bike for. I don't find the gaps too bad either, but I'm happy with a range of cadence, and use this bike for distance more than speed.
  • No major issues at all. I have Rival x1 44 with 11-40 for winter and Red ETap for summer. All I will say is that the x1 chain being a little thicker that a standard 11 speed "seems" to generate more resistance. Probably doesn't, just feels like it.
    Summer - Giant Defy Composite 2 (Force 22) (retd)
    Cannondale Synapse Sram Red ETap
    Winter - Boardman CX Team (Rival X1 Hyd)
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    I'm running a 42t Apex chainset with an 11-42t cassette on my gravel bike. I find it can spin out on the road reasonably early, but its ok. The clutch RD ensures silent running and the chain has yet to unship, so I'm happy with that. You can change out chainrings on the Rival and Force 1x chainset but, I am told, not the Apex version due to a specific bolt arm design.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • Personally I don't like it. I run a 42 with an 11-32 on my cross bike and used it as a winter road bike last year as a bit of an experiment. Always felt like I was stuck in between gears, the greater spread of a double just suits me better for road riding.
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    I’ve Apex 1 on my Planet X London Road SL. Can spin out on descent but TBF it’s not a huge issue, I tend to use it for commuting and touring. I find that on say a false flat into a headwind I can find it hard to get the right gear, more so with my work rucksack or luggage on. I think that’s a personal thing, especially since I’m not in the best fitness st the moment. Apart from that I like it, good shifting.
  • janwal
    janwal Posts: 489
    I have sram Rival 1x on two bikes. A Trek Domane disc 40 front and 11-42 rear,winter, bad weather bike. Also a Bianchi Infinito disc 42 front,11-42 rear summer bike. I have no problems at all using them on the roads. They perform the same as any other bike. Some say that the gear jumps are too big etc. Honestly you will hardly notice it after a few rides. Just spin a bit more or push a bit harder,it’s no big deal. Go for it,you won’t regret it.
  • I sold my 1x bike now but my experience was the gearing was fine for solo riding (unless sprinting or downhill when you will spin out) but for group riding...you are often between gears and have to adjust your cadence. My gravel bike was pretty heavy too which didnt help (many of them are unless you are spending a decent amount on one)