Di2 Possible Bad Battery

abtrumpet
abtrumpet Posts: 16
edited September 2019 in Workshop
I'm having a Di2 issue, maybe someone else has come across this before. It started with my Di2 running out of juice during a ride. Then, it wouldn't charge. I always plug my Di2 in at night, so it seems strange it wouldn't even last for 2 hours during a ride. The battery is internal (SM-BTR2)

The other day, I plugged it into the charger and noticed the charger would go from "charging" to "blinking red" warning light. The charger is brand new as of June. I plugged the system into E-Tube project and everything is detected properly and firmware is up-to-date. I took the system apart and plugged just the battery into the A junction (SM-EW90-B). The box blinks both lights, indicating it has detected the battery. Then, I plug it into the charger and the charger again goes to blinking red. I plug just the junction and battery into the computer and run E-Tube. They are correctly detected. I have tried several different USB wall plugs, all of which are rated for 1.0A 5V output. Still does not work. Could the battery be bad?

Comments

• I don't have the battery manual to hand, so don't know the voltages/amps, however I did charge a new battery with a phone charger and the high output killed it. Confirmed with the bike shop too. I got a replacement battery through the good will of the shop but very much my own fault. Only every charge it now through USB port on a laptop, never directly into the wall.
  • stobear wrote:
    I don't have the battery manual to hand, so don't know the voltages/amps, however I did charge a new battery with a phone charger and the high output killed it. Confirmed with the bike shop too. I got a replacement battery through the good will of the shop but very much my own fault. Only every charge it now through USB port on a laptop, never directly into the wall.

Really? Been charging mine with 1A usb wall charger for years as I don't own a laptop or PC.

Anything above 1A can cause an issue but the charger should show the warning light.

I think the OP battery is knackered.
  • I think you are probably right about the battery being dead. I checked the voltage of the battery with a multimeter and it rendered 6.13V ~ 5.8V, depending on its mood. That seems awfully low to me, but I may be wrong.