2020 transfers

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,577
    RichN95 wrote:
    r0bh wrote:
    Jon Dibben to Lotto-Soudal
    Oh, good. He's too good to be riding out of the World Tour/Pro Conti level.

In other bigger rumours, Roglic to UAE is the talk of the Vuelta. Just a rumour for now.

Agreed, but this was only in May non?

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/former-team-sky-rider-jon-dibben-joins-madison-genesis-423677

EDIT: Did not realise MG were folding too :-(
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,149
    Daniel B wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    r0bh wrote:

In other bigger rumours, Roglic to UAE is the talk of the Vuelta. Just a rumour for now.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/former-team-sky-rider-jon-dibben-joins-madison-genesis-423677

Madison Genesis are Continental level though.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,103
    Joe Dombrowski to UAE for two years.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    andyp wrote:
    Carlos Barbero moves from Movistar to NTT (Dimension Data as was) for next season.

Am I the only one who feels pity when I see "x moves to DiData / NTT next year'"?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,577
    RichN95 wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    r0bh wrote:

Madison Genesis are Continental level though.

True, but I was under potentially the wrong impression that he had chosen to go that route - wondered if all the travel did not suit him.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:

Well this turned out to be nonsense. He's signed for another four years at Jumbo
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,558
    RichN95 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Well this turned out to be nonsense. He's signed for another four years at Jumbo

Curious, but good. I'm pleased with that!

I'd be more worried about riders heading to UAE than to NTT given the former's inability to feed their riders...
  • RichN95.
    I see that Ethan Hayter's younger brother Leo has joined the Sunweb development team. I wonder if that's a clue as to where Ethan is heading.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,558
    Not a transfer per se, but apparently while Dennis is going to stay at Bahrain-Merida he's going to be riding an unbranded bike at the Worlds.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,585
    dish_dash wrote:
    Not a transfer per se, but apparently while Dennis is going to stay at Bahrain-Merida he's going to be riding an unbranded bike at the Worlds.

Real trend that testers are re-becoming picky about their TT kit.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    dish_dash wrote:
    he'd probably be equally concerned about his skinsuit, which was the cause of the last hissy fit.

you'd be wanting the best kit possible surely. trek speed concept or Cervelo would be what I'd be betting he'd be astride, I'd bet.
  • rick_chasey
    philbar72 wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:
    he'd probably be equally concerned about his skinsuit, which was the cause of the last hissy fit.

you'd be wanting the best kit possible surely. trek speed concept or Cervelo would be what I'd be betting he'd be astride, I'd bet.

Mmm not Cervelos judging from what Cavendish said.

I though the consensus was in the pro-peloton the Canyons and Binachi TT bikes were fastest?
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,564
    The Shiv would be up there as well
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • rick_chasey
    Gweeds wrote:

mmmmstill?

Who's been winning on it?
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    philbar72 wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:

I seem to remember Ryan Mullen make a big fuss about his Cannondale before moving to Trek. Has this lead to any improvements?
  • Gweeds wrote:

mmmmstill?

Alaphillipe?
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Poptart242 wrote:
    Gweeds wrote:

mmmmstill?

Alaphillipe?

Yeah, they launched the new one at the Giro.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    philbar72 wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:

I though the consensus was in the pro-peloton the Canyons and Binachi TT bikes were fastest?
    Bearing in mind Cav was talking about their road bikes not their TT bikes, although it is still probably true.

I thought the Bianchi road aero bike (Oltre) wasn't meant to be that good from an aero perspective. Don't know anything about their TT bikes though.

Anyway I think the whole thing is quite personal - the biggest impact on aerodynamic performance is the riders' position, then that's coupled with how much power they can generate in that position*, so the geometry will be really really important as it has to combine good aerodynamics with good power generation.

*generally riders cannot put out as much power on a TT rig but this is more than compensated by the more aero position, and all the other stuff that goes with it.
  • RichN95.
    inseine wrote:
    philbar72 wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:

I seem to remember Ryan Mullen make a big fuss about his Cannondale before moving to Trek. Has this lead to any improvements?
    Vaughters added a chapter to his book about how it wasn't his fault?
  • Cav was talking about how the S5 couldn't cope with the new breed of aero bike. Then Cervelo launched their current range, so that's unlikely to be an issue (plus as the poster above mentioned, road not TT).
  • philbar72
    philbar72 wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:

for pure speed it is still the speed concept and the P5. both do their job very differently. that's according to the folk that aero lab them.

thinking about how a tour based TT is it isn't just an out and back tail/head. there are definitely other factors. being assigned certain kit for example. the pro 3 spoke and the campag disk would be the fastest wheel combo for example. :D
  • philbar72
    Poptart242 wrote:
    Cav was talking about how the S5 couldn't cope with the new breed of aero bike. Then Cervelo launched their current range, so that's unlikely to be an issue (plus as the poster above mentioned, road not TT).

that's lunacy. the disk brake based modern aerobikes are slower in certain areas because of their brakes. the S5 was always a quick bike. it hasn't changed much. Cav has though. that double kick is long gone.
  • philbar72
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    philbar72 wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:

Bearing in mind Cav was talking about their road bikes not their TT bikes, although it is still probably true.

I thought the Bianchi road aero bike (Oltre) wasn't meant to be that good from an aero perspective. Don't know anything about their TT bikes though.

Anyway I think the whole thing is quite personal - the biggest impact on aerodynamic performance is the riders' position, then that's coupled with how much power they can generate in that position*, so the geometry will be really really important as it has to combine good aerodynamics with good power generation.

*generally riders cannot put out as much power on a TT rig but this is more than compensated by the more aero position, and all the other stuff that goes with it.

I should have read what you said. nailed it.

the most obvious example of aero gains was wiggins in 2012. the pinarello tt rig was a barn door in comparison to others yet they sorted wiggins position out. lo and behold 2 tour stage wins and 2nd in the prologue. when he did the 2012 Olympic TT he had a British cycling prototype made for him with a custom aerobar that cost $$$. totally designed for the out and back nature of the 2012 Olympic course.

one of the forums old posters tarmac expert used to be very aero and use not loads of watts to achieve some great times. you'll probably find Roglic isn't stupidly powerful, but is very aero....
  • rick_chasey
    I'm going more on what pro-riders have done and said about their kit (reading inbetween the lines.)

Martin moved to Katusha for example, in part because he wanted to stay on Canyons. Another rumour that Dowsett made a play for Katusha too for the same reason, having enjoyed them so much at Movistar.

Jumbo in the meantime after their appalling TT in the 2014 Tour started to work closely with Bianchi to work on better and better TT bikes. They're good enough now that they persuaded Martin to come ride on them.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,339
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    philbar72 wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:

With Bianchi's I've always wondered how much you notice the Counterveil technology (vibration dampening) built into the carbon fibre layers of the frame as a rider. It is supposed to keep you fresher, but I wonder if that is just purely theoretical or has an actual impact at the end of races or for long prolonged efforts.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,103
    King Kenny Ellisonde confirmed to be leaving Ineos to join Trek-Segafredo.
  • Their collection of bang average riders continues to grow.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,193
    Wout Poels to Bahrain Merida
  • RichN95.
    r0bh wrote:
    Wout Poels to Bahrain Merida
    Bahrain is to Sky as West Ham is to Arsenal
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,339
    r0bh wrote: