La Vuelta 2019, Stage 17: Aranda de Duero > Guadalajara 11/09/2019 - 219,6 km *Spoilers*

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
edited September 2019 in Pro race
La Vuelta 2019, Stage 17: Aranda de Duero > Guadalajara 11/09/2019 - 219,6 km

Motivation for this one is hard, for both me and the riders. The 17th stage of the Vuelta a España is likely to see a sprint finish. The 219.6 kilometres race kicks off in Aranda de Duero and travels on rolling terrain to Guadalajara.

c09de

The route features just one proper climb. Once the flag is dropped the riders navigate the undulating plateau north of Madrid. At kilometres, the Vuelta reaches the highest point of the Alto de Carrascosa at an elevation of 1,380 metres, which is 560 metres higher than Aranda de Duero.

After the Carrascosa the route continues on rolling roads to a likely sprint finish in Guadalajara. The last 3 kilometres run false flat uphill.

3fe1c

Favourites 17th stage 2019 Vuelta a España
Sam Bennett is on stellar form. Normally, Gaviria would have been the Irish champion’s most difficult rival. Both the Colombian and the Irishmen know what it is to win Grand Tour stages, but Gaviria’s 2019 campaign has been injury-blighted. He never was in contention in the three Vuelta sprints. Young Fabio Jakobsen is the only sprinter to outgun Bennett in Spain.

*** Sam Bennett
** Fernando Gaviria, Fabio Jakobsen, Marc Sarreau
* Max Walscheid, Edward Theuns, Clément Venturini, Szymon Sajnok

Aranda de Duero
1 stage of La Vuelta have departed from Aranda de Duero

31,535 inhabitants.
La Vuelta returns to Aranda de Duero more than ten years after its last visit (2006). This town in the province of Burgos is famous for its numerous wineries, or bodegas, which reflect its privileged location and make it one of the maximum exponents of the designation of origin of Ribera del Duero. The streets of Aranda provide an excellent opportunity to savour its fine wines or admire the church of Santa María la Real, one of the best examples of the late Gothic style within the vast array of buildings in this architectural style in Castile.

tour-vinos-castillos-ribera-duero.jpg

ribera-duero-vinos.jpg

Guadalajara
3 stages of La Vuelta have had finale in Guadalajara

84,145 inhabitants.
Guadalajara has been one of the European City of Sports in 2018, which has meant EU recognition for the policies rolled out by the city’s Local Authority in its quest to foster sport among the population. This year, the city has held numerous domestic and international events in athletics, badminton and rhythmic gymnastics, to name just a few. A commitment to sport that will be compounded by the peloton’s arrival as La Vuelta passes through its streets 13 years after its last visit.

7d88c
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    Come on Blazing...dont do a Dennis on us and climb off the threads mid race. You have got a solid block of stages behind you now, so just treat today as an extra rest day, and then build for the next few hilly ones.
    Half man, Half bike
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    It's all good prep for the World's thread...
    Half man, Half bike
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    Looks like an already dull Vuelta is dying an early death. 2019 is going to be a year to forget as far as grand tours is concerned (or maybe remembered as a nadir).
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    I doubt if you're Slovenian you'd think that way. Or Columbian. Or Ecuadorian.

Or even French, up to a point in the Tour.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • Strong cross/tail winds forecast apparently. Could be over very quickly, and be a bit nervy.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,163
    hypster wrote:
    Looks like an already dull Vuelta is dying an early death. 2019 is going to be a year to forget as far as grand tours is concerned (or maybe remembered as a nadir).

Well that didn't take long, a few weeks ago this year's TdF was being touted as the best for years :lol:
  • hypster wrote:

I thought the Giro was pretty good this year. And the Tour got a solid 8/10 in the reviews on here.

This Vuelta is a weak field for both the GC and the sprinters.
  • Ridgerider wrote:
    It's all good prep for the World's thread...

Errr, I am afraid I am off on my travels again and won't be around to do a Yorkshire Pudding and Wensleydale thread.

Best I can to is point folks in the direction of a very comprehensive guide.
  • It's all happening in those tail/crosswinds. It's super fast and very hot. (35C)
    Massive break of 47 are 3 minutes clear of the bunch.
    DQS have 7 riders up there and Movistar have Quintana, Erviti and Olivera.
    Both Jumbo and Astana chasing.
  • I don't think this Vuelta has been too bad - still think the TT helped kill the GC interest - if opening up the time gaps gas encouraged attacking riding I haven't really noticed it. The parcours has been good and it's just been unfortunate that nobody has really been able to challenge Roglic.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Well, well
  • Gap after 75kms has increased to 4'-05".

The break:

Jose Joaquin Rojas, Imanol Erviti, Nelson Oliveira, Nairo Quintana (Movistar Team), Pierre Latour, Quentin Jauregui, Clément Venturini (AG2R La Mondiale), Gorka Izagirre, Luis Leon Sanchez (Astana), Heinrich Haussler, Dylan Teuns (Bahrain-Merida), Sam Bennett (Bora-Hansgrohe), Jonas Koch, Nathan Van Hooydonck (CCC Team), Philippe Gilbert, Eros Capecchi, Tim Declercq, Fabio Jakobsen, James Knox, Zdenek Stybar (Deceuninck-Quick Step), Lawson Craddock, Daniel Martinez (EF Education First), Tosh van der Sande (Lotto Soudal), Esteban Chaves, Sam Bewley, Damien Howson, Dion Smith (Mitchelton-Scott), Edvald Boasson Hagen, Ben King, Rasmus Tiler (Dimension Data), Owen Doull, Wout Poels, Tao Geoghegan Hart, Ian Stannard (Team Ineos), Wilco Kelderman, Nikias Arndt, Casper Pedersen, Rob Power, Max Walscheid (Sunweb), John Degenkolb, Alex Kirsch (Trek Segafredo), Marco Marcato, Juan Sebastian Molano, Oliviero Troia (UAE Team Emirates), Jetse Bol (Burgos-BH), Gonzalo Serrano (Caja Rural-Seguros RGA), Aritz Bagües (Euskadi-Murias).
  • It's all happening in those tail/crosswinds. It's super fast and very hot. (35C)
    Massive break of 47 are 3 minutes clear of the bunch.
    DQS have 7 riders up there and Movistar have Quintana, Erviti and Olivera.
    Both Jumbo and Astana chasing.

Only one from Bora hansgrohe - Sam Bennett.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,579
    Throwback to when Froome lost the Vuelta away by Sky letting a big break go! ... with Nairoman in it!
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • Pierre Latour, Quentin Jauregui, Clément Venturini (AG2R La Mondiale), Heinrich Haussler (Bahrain-Merida), Nathan Van Hooydonck (CCC Team), Daniel Martinez (EF Education First), Ben King (Dimension Data), John Degenkolb (Trek-Segafredo), Jetse Bol (Burgos-BH), Gonzalo Serrano (Caja Rural-Seguros RGA), Aritz Bagües (Euskadi-Murias) are dropped from the leading group.
    The gap is up to 4'20". 135km to go.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    When is it live?
  • When is it live?

13:45 damnit.
  • rick_chasey
    Might actually watch this.
  • rick_chasey
    Who knew Jetse Bol was still riding?

NOT ME
  • Quintana just virtual overtaken Valverde on GC.
  • Crazy day - PCS seem to be saying 32 riders left in group 1 (including Quintana), and only 30 riders left in the "peloton" at 4:46.
  • Vuelta wrote:
    With such hard racing, the TV broadcast will start 30 minutes ahead of what was planned, with images from the race going live around the world at 2:30 PM local time.

Here's hoping.
  • Crazy day - PCS seem to be saying 32 riders left in group 1 (including Quintana), and only 30 riders left in the "peloton" at 4:46.

The peloton is in 2 bits, over 5 minutes down now.
    All the GC boys are in the front section.
    106kms to go, 110kms done.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    edited September 2019
    Live pictures arrive with 92kms to go and the gap at 5 and a half minutes.

Average race speed, wait for it...............................49kph. :shock:
  • rick_chasey
    Who's on the eurosport call?
  • Who's on the eurosport call?

Kirby in UK with Kelly.
    Hatch and Backstedt for International.
  • rick_chasey
    Right time to dig around for a foreign feed
  • rick_chasey
    I'm up on Sporza, all is well with the world.
  • rick_chasey
    For shame the Dutch team get dinged in crosswinds.
  • 6 minutes and still increasing.