Best bike for the South Downs - titanium hard tail?

davep1
davep1 Posts: 836
edited September 2019 in MTB general
So, I live bang in the middle of the South Downs at Steyning. I have had a couple of steel 26 er hard tails for years, ridden them over the SDW and the trails that come off it, never had a problem; I am lucky to live where I do. I ride at the weekends with mates, and solo to and from work a couple of times a week, via the SDW.

I have never bought a new mountain bike, and for a long time thought that when I did it would be a full suspension mtb; even though most people say a full suss is overkill most of the time on the SDW. There are parts of my regular routes, mainly the descents off the Downs, that are very bumpy and you have to have the brakes on to maintain some kind of control and to give yourself options when the unexpected happens. They also batter the life out of you! I am not really looking to go faster, I want a bit more comfort and control.

Recently had a conversation with a well known titanium bike maker who is developing an mtb frame, a hard tail. This got me thinking this could be the perfect compromise between a heavy full suss and a lighter hardtail that doesn't take some of the bumps and bangs out of the terrain.
I don't do bike parks, I don't do jumps. I do ride through the winter though, so a hardtail made of titanium would be less maintenance/less to go wrong than a full sus.
I don't know anyone with a titanium mtb, so am looking for thoughts and opinions on them. I don't really want to spend £2-3k, which I expect is what a titanium mtb will cost, but am interested to hear what others think.
And if I went full suss, what's the best model for South Downs type riding?

Comments

• You're right that you can go with a HT or FS bike.

If you want something a bit `comfier` then a FS would be a good option.

I've ridden HT's for 25+ years and I'd usually say a HT is fine for the SDW. BUT - like you say, it's more a comfort rather than performance issue.

I have a HT and FS. Still a big fan of my HT (just bought a new frame and longer forks to make is more `modern`). I live in a hilly area and ride roads, farms tracks and paths etc. My HT is ideally suited for that - but - my FS is more comfy on the bumpy bits and it doesn't get bucked around so much. I enjoy riding both but the FS is certainly more forgiving. The HT will still be used a bit more as a winter hack when some of the off-road sections are unrideable and I spend proportionately more time on tarmac.

I would have said get a 29" HT but you could easily go for a 29" (or 27.5") FS. I'd suggest something around 120-130mm travel, as this is kind of XC territory (from what you've said, you aren't doing anything too knarly).

I have no idea about titanium bikes/frames.

For me - I'd want something quite light that can get up the hills. Maybe in the 12-13kg bracket (lighter if you can get it) - maybe a carbon frame? Bikes more geared towards 140+mm Enduro type riding can be nearer 14-15kg and you do notice the difference.

I can't say `buy this bike`, as we all have our preferences and it needs to be right for you.

Both my bikes are 26" and work perfectly well but is obviously an older format. 29" might be good as they are real mile muchers for the SDW.

Now is a good time to buy as 2019 bikes are being heavily discounted. Go have a look and see what's out there.
    "Ride, crash, replace"