Kids Christmas Presents

slowbike
slowbike Posts: 8,498
edited September 2019 in The cake stop
Yes - not long now ... sorry ..

anyway - after some suggestions - my 4yo wants a Robot with "lots of buttons that does everything" - apparently that includes turning into a boat and being a rocket ... now, I could make a cardboard robot and paint lots of buttons on it - but just wondering if there's anything vaguely remote control/programmable that would be suitable ... without costing an arm and a leg (or the price of a cheap wheelset for the commuter ;) )

Comments

• robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Slowbike wrote:

anyway - after some suggestions - my 4yo wants a Robot with "lots of buttons that does everything" - apparently that includes turning into a boat and being a rocket ... now, I could make a cardboard robot and paint lots of buttons on it - but just wondering if there's anything vaguely remote control/programmable that would be suitable ... without costing an arm and a leg (or the price of a cheap wheelset for the commuter ;) )

You need Elon Musk for that. Don't ask James Dyson, it will cost you an arm and a leg and break before the end of Boxing Day.
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    Anything here?
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • Robert88 wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

You need Elon Musk for that. Don't ask James Dyson, it will cost you an arm and a leg and break before the end of Boxing Day and the dude that owns the factory will bang on and on a leaving the EU and how great it will be and the benefit everyone and everything and then move everything he owns to Singapore therefore leaving everyone else screwed but he's alright Jack

ftfy - hope thats ok
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Slowbike wrote:

Getting into the habit of doing dreadful things and then apologising for it! Could you please just not do the dreadful things to start with?! :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • slowbike
    Rolf F wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

Getting into the habit of doing dreadful things and then apologising for it! Could you please just not do the dreadful things to start with?! :wink:

Well - unfortunately, this one comes around once a year .... without fail ... and as he's getting older he's got his own ideas ... it was much easier when he was under 4!
  • rolf_f
    Slowbike wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

Well - unfortunately, this one comes around once a year .... without fail ... and as he's getting older he's got his own ideas ... it was much easier when he was under 4!

Just give him an Amazon voucher - is 4 old enough for knives yet? (I don't have children!).
  • slowbike
    Rolf F wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

Just give him an Amazon voucher - is 4 old enough for knives yet? (I don't have children!).

Don't - he sits there during TV adverts in the morning saying "I need that, I need that, Can I have that" .... and he can already use a phone - enough to play his games - I have to put mine on aeroplane mode if I lend it to him - that should stop him ordering off Amazon ... I hope!!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    Rolf F wrote:

Can't give knives as a present. It's bad luck.
  • Let's face it, it's going to have to be Lego.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49563758
  • slowbike
    Rolf F wrote:

Ok - we won't buy him a knife - although if we taped a coin to the knife and he gave it to us when he opened the present it'd break the bad luck bit ..

(it's amazing what some people believe)
  • Wooden brio train set. Every time.
  • slowbike
    Wooden brio train set. Every time.

what - more?!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    Slowbike wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

Ok - we won't buy him a knife - although if we taped a coin to the knife and he gave it to us when he opened the present it'd break the bad luck bit ..

Pfft just don't buy knives as presents.
  • slowbike
    Slowbike wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

bolx to that - when he's old enough he can have a pocket knife/multi-tool knife as a present - just like I've received ...
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Let's face it, it's going to have to be Lego.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49563758

To be honest, makes perfect sense as he can make it into what ever he wants
  • slowbike
    Ah - sorry GSM - missed your suggestion due to the incursion of stupid ideas ...

I used to make him robots out of Duplo lego - but I was specifically after something along the robotic theme - quite happy with other toy ideas - didn't know if there was a robot kit we could build together - one that actually does something rather than just looks good then beeps twice before running out of ideas ....
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    Possibly not quite old enough but what about a Raspberry Pi robot kit of some type? Not something I know much about but seems a lot of choice plus a chance to learn how to learn some programming as he gets older.

https://www.lucarobotics.com/blog/raspberry-pi-robot-kits
  • slowbike
    Ah - thanks - yes, possibly isn't old enough just yet .... cardboard, sticky backed plastic and some paint may be in order for this year ... ;)
  • Slowbike wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

Don't - he sits there during TV adverts in the morning saying "I need that, I need that, Can I have that" .... and he can already use a phone - enough to play his games - I have to put mine on aeroplane mode if I lend it to him - that should stop him ordering off Amazon ... I hope!!

You do realise that you can still use wifi on aeroplane mode?
  • rolf_f
    Slowbike wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

bolx to that - when he's old enough he can have a pocket knife/multi-tool knife as a present - just like I've received ...

I have always cherished the Swiss Army knife I was given by a family friend even though it was far from mint at the time. But that was back in the 70s so I never stabbed anyone with it. But then neither did I remove stones from horses hooves. I probably just appreciated it.
  • Rolf F wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

I have always cherished the Swiss Army knife I was given by a family friend even though it was far from mint at the time. But that was back in the 70s so I never stabbed anyone with it. But then neither did I remove stones from horses hooves. I probably just appreciated it.

Love that.
  • slowbike
    Slowbike wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

You do realise that you can still use wifi on aeroplane mode?
    only if you turn it back on ... he hasn't worked that bit out yet - not that he'd know what it was for anyway.

When he was a little younger we gave him our phones with Guided Access turned on - because he'd frequently get himself out of the application or into settings or similar - haven't had to do that recently - although finding him looking at the screen of Apps saved for work (remote access, excel, network diagnosis) just acts as a reminder that we still need to closely monitor his use of our devices!
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Robert88 wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

You need Elon Musk for that. Don't ask James Dyson, it will cost you an arm and a leg and break before the end of Boxing Day and the dude that owns the factory will bang on and on a leaving the EU and how great it will be and the benefit everyone and everything and then move everything he owns to Singapore therefore leaving everyone else screwed but he's alright Jack

ftfy - hope thats ok

It's not strictly accurate because he has bought huge swathes of prime agricultural land in the UK. I can't think why.
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    Slowbike wrote:
    just acts as a reminder that we still need to closely monitor his use of our devices!

Why is a 4 year old using a phone anyway?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,570
    Slowbike wrote:

what - more?!

If he is fan, there are quite a few extra Brio bits that are fun. The transport museum even sells a tower of London one.

What about a transformer? That does something as you have to convert it from one thing to another. I have been considering a transforming Blaze.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    joe2008 wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    just acts as a reminder that we still need to closely monitor his use of our devices!

Slowbike said previously that he plays games on it, why not?
  • slowbike
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

what - more?!

If he is fan, there are quite a few extra Brio bits that are fun. The transport museum even sells a tower of London one.

What about a transformer? That does something as you have to convert it from one thing to another. I have been considering a transforming Blaze.
    hmm - transforming blaze - could be ...

might get a few bits for his train set - but it already takes up his whole play table when he has it out - but you can never have enough junctions - or buffers as it is at the moment...

Perhaps a modified loco with a remote control .... ?
  • slowbike
    joe2008 wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

Because there are games that are designed for the age group which benefit them without them realising it. Teachmonster is one - the one he likes playing is teaching them the sound and shape of letters... He also like Thomas Minis - which allows them to build a virtual train track - sounds undeducational? well - they have to work out how to put the track together in ways that make a sensible track for them to drive the engines around on - so a bit of problem solving.

It's not just space invaders, watching videos on youtube or social media and the like ... infant, for him - it's none of that....

add to that, he spends less time on his phone in a week than you do (most likely) in a morning - so when he asked to play games yesterday morning, he couldn't because the phone was flat .... but that was ok, because he's got other toys to play with.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,570
    Slowbike wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

what - more?!

hmm - transforming blaze - could be ...

might get a few bits for his train set - but it already takes up his whole play table when he has it out - but you can never have enough junctions - or buffers as it is at the moment...

Perhaps a modified loco with a remote control .... ?

Should you ever have the misfortune of being in Ikea, this is an excellent value junction which works well. Plus, ditch the table and just use the floor.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/lillabo-tu ... -10343856/

I'd like this one, but not at the price

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BRIO-33736-Wor ... B00J6SEGK2

And this is tower bridge. Again, pricey

https://www.ltmuseumshop.co.uk/toys/woo ... -train-set
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    Slowbike wrote:
    joe2008 wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

Because there are games that are designed for the age group which benefit them without them realising it. Teachmonster is one - the one he likes playing is teaching them the sound and shape of letters... He also like Thomas Minis - which allows them to build a virtual train track - sounds undeducational? well - they have to work out how to put the track together in ways that make a sensible track for them to drive the engines around on - so a bit of problem solving.

It's not just space invaders, watching videos on youtube or social media and the like ... infant, for him - it's none of that....

add to that, he spends less time on his phone in a week than you do (most likely) in a morning - so when he asked to play games yesterday morning, he couldn't because the phone was flat .... but that was ok, because he's got other toys to play with.

Well, you're wrong there because I don't own a mobile phone, in fact I've never touched one in my life.

There are plenty of ways to educate a child.