strava routes

staituk
staituk Posts: 37
hi i am wanting to download some routes to upload to my elemnt bolt to try out on my trainer. is there a way to search for routes on strava, or can i only see the ones for people i am following,

thanks

Comments

• figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    Despite being able to make a route 'private' or 'public', they are not searchable. The best way around it is to use the segment explorer, find a segment in the area you're interested, click on it then look at the various athletes who have ridden it and follow back to the activity that they covered that segment in. You should be able to grab their route as a GPX.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • You should be able to grab their route as a GPX.
    Think that option is only available to those who are on Summit. Non payers (like tight fisted me!) have to be "creative" to download a .gpx.
  • Try one of the alternatives. I used to like GPSIES a lot before I bought my BOLT, it has a very easy to use interface for discovering other peoples routes, and it is easy to download them too. I have now gone over to using Ride with GPS and Komoot because of the integration with ELEMNT, but I still use GPSIES now and again. You can search for routes in Komoot, but I only found it by following a link from a Google search, the route search facility doesn't seem to be linked from the home page once you've logged in. The advantage of the routes in Komoot is that you should get turn-by-turn directions (I've not tested this), the downside is that there doesn't seem to be a vast choice of routes. RWGPS doesn't seem to have a route search facility.

You won't get turn-by-turn if you upload a .gpx file from GPSIES (or wherever) directly into the ELEMNT app, but if you upload it into Komoot and save it then you will get the turn-by-turn directions once it has synced to the ELEMNT app - provided the route is in your "home" region, unless you've paid to unlock more regions.
  • thats helpful. thanks everyone
  • rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    You can search for routes in Komoot, but I only found it by following a link from a Google search, the route search facility doesn't seem to be linked from the home page once you've logged in.

While logged into Komoot, click on Discover (top left) which shows the search page and allows you to specify the Activity type (eg. Road Bike). But as you say, not much in there in my experience, as people (riding from home) generally keep their routes private I imagine...

You won't get turn-by-turn if you upload a .gpx file from GPSIES (or wherever) directly into the ELEMNT app, but if you upload it into Komoot and save it then you will get the turn-by-turn directions once it has synced to the ELEMNT app - provided the route is in your "home" region, unless you've paid to unlock more regions.

In my view, if you own a Wahoo GPS, want turn by turn, and ride in more than one 'compact' location, then paying for the Komoot All Regions Package can be well worth it: a £30 one off payment for worldwide mapping. Which means, as you suggest, you can upload any GPX file into Komoot and get turn-by-turn on your Wahoo for anywhere in the world. I've made good use of this.

Initially I found Komoot a bit odd to use, UI-wise, in terms of how you enter a route, but once used to it I find it simple and quick to use and build routes frequently. The only obvious missing feature that comes to mind is you can't to my knowledge add manual waymarks to flag a point of interest. Other than that, I've found it to be excellent. In an era of recurring subscriptions for many services, a one off £30 seems a relative 'old skool' bargain.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    staituk wrote:
    hi i am wanting to download some routes to upload to my elemnt bolt to try out on my trainer. is there a way to search for routes on strava, or can i only see the ones for people i am following,

thanks

Hope your using a Wahoo trainer then, as the Wahoo ELEMNT devices don't play with other manufacturers very well. My Direto would have me doing 200+mph and the Neo locks up. If you want to do real routes on your trainer and it isn't a Wahoo, I suggest Rouvy.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.