Join the Labour Party and save your country!

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,486
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Hearing Corbyn speaking today about the possibility of an election really is depressing. He's said and done nothing of note on Brexit or any other policy since the last GE and suddenly he's back in man of the people campaign mode. How did we end up with this choice as our nation's leader?

"Grandad Jeremy - what did you do during Brexit". "Errrrrrrrr, I gave a couple of speeches and nearly expressed an opinion".

I don't know why people are so scared of him as a PM. He wouldn't actually do anything. We'd have five years of dithering and he'd be gone.

This tw@t at No11 would be more scary.

1_JS188331936-1.jpg
    Remember, this is the bloke who was sacked by Ken Livingstone while at the GLC for being too left wing. That has to take some doing :D

Better make sure the bunker is stocked up the way things are going.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Mr Goo wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Hearing Corbyn speaking today about the possibility of an election really is depressing. He's said and done nothing of note on Brexit or any other policy since the last GE and suddenly he's back in man of the people campaign mode. How did we end up with this choice as our nation's leader?

"Grandad Jeremy - what did you do during Brexit". "Errrrrrrrr, I gave a couple of speeches and nearly expressed an opinion".

I don't know why people are so scared of him as a PM. He wouldn't actually do anything. We'd have five years of dithering and he'd be gone.

Diane Abbott as Home Secretary!!!! Just as frightening as JMac in No11.

so scared enough to pack up and leave the country but not scared enough to learn how to spell his name
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    I cant wait for abbot to be wheeled out at the next election to show us how she has recovered from her last alzheimers display. I am sure she has recovered well. Anyone know what she has got on corbyn to still be on the cabinet?
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Pross wrote:

1_JS188331936-1.jpg
    Remember, this is the bloke who was sacked by Ken Livingstone while at the GLC for being too left wing. That has to take some doing :D
    Remember, this is the bloke that the Tory No-Dealers have managed to make look almost reasonable.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,166
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Pross wrote:

1_JS188331936-1.jpg
    Remember, this is the bloke that the Tory No-Dealers have managed to make look almost reasonable.
    Only from the point of view of lefties.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Pross wrote:

1_JS188331936-1.jpg
    Excellent argument.
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Pross wrote:

1_JS188331936-1.jpg

I am definitely not a leftie and definitely feel that Boris has made the prospect of JC less scary
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Pross wrote:

1_JS188331936-1.jpg

I am definitely not a leftie and definitely feel that Boris has made the prospect of JC less scary
    It would be a close-run thing as to whether Johnson or Corbyn is more incompetent. At least we've found out about Johnson's incompetence as Prime Minister very quickly, though it wouldn't have taken a fortune teller to predict that.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    The thing to remember is that in 100 years time, a Corbyn Govt will probably be long forgotten. Bojos few weeks in charge and the preceding catastrophe of May and Cameron won't be.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Rolf F wrote:
    The thing to remember is that in 100 years time, a Corbyn Govt will probably be long forgotten. Bojos few weeks in charge and the preceding catastrophe of May and Cameron won't be.

Ah good ol collective memory.

I bet Churchill didn’t reckon on being discussed and referenced more often in the 2010s than in the entirety of his ‘51-55 PM stint.
  • I think May will be pretty much forgotten, much like Brown. No election win, and nothing actually happened.
  • rick_chasey
    List of 82 economists write to the FT, saying that the FT's criticism of labour's economic plans are wide of the mark.

Here's the letter

https://www.ft.com/content/6da72060-cfd ... ded7a7fe3f
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Pross wrote:

1_JS188331936-1.jpg

Ah, the lefties at Citibank and Deutsche Bank are of the same opinion, it seems... as reported in The Telegraph:
    Jeremy Corbyn, the scourge of bankers and avowed opponent of capitalism, is winning support from unexpected new quarters: two of the biggest global banks operating in the City of London are warming to the Labour leader.

Unlikely as it may seem, he is now seen as the lesser of two evils by analysts at Citibank and Deutsche Bank, respectively American and German titans of the financial system.

“Is Corbyn as bad as no-deal? Perhaps no longer,” said Christian Schulz at Citi.

It is not that the financiers favour the opposition leader’s plans for “higher taxes, tighter labour laws, spending increases and the nationalisation of network industries”, but that this may cause less harm than leaving the EU without a deal.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/20 ... apitalist/
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah they might change their mind when they read the lunch with the FT with John McDonnell.

Wants to ban all city bonuses.

(Which in reality of course just means really big base salaries but anyway).
  • Stevo_666
    :lol:

DkqLfzqXsAEunic?format=jpg&name=medium
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Pross wrote:

1_JS188331936-1.jpg

He's a danger though as he comes across far more professionally than either Boris or Corbyn. He was very calm on Marr this morning and even answered the questions he was asked. If he became Labour leader I think it would be a big danger to the Tories and we could end up in the clutches of a hard left Government.
  • Stevo_666
    Pross wrote:
    He's a danger though as he comes across far more professionally than either Boris or Corbyn. He was very calm on Marr this morning and even answered the questions he was asked. If he became Labour leader I think it would be a big danger to the UK as we could end up in the clutches of a hard left Government.
    FTFY.
  • Stevo 666 wrote:

Take me home Jeremy Corbyn tree road

Do I win a prize?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Take me home Jeremy Corbyn tree road

Do I win a prize?
    Close, but no cigar.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Not really worth that degree of hilarity smiley face simply because you can just substitute any face in there and for all anyone knows it might already be a substitution. Do find insulting the Corbster funny but try to do so via images that are actually witty.

SC did better than me. I thought it was "Take me summer house Jezza ash lane" which makes no sense to me at all.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rick_chasey
    I have no idea what the song is.

But I guess it took attention away from me highlighting McDonnell’s desire to ban City bonuses so whatever.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,486

But I guess it took attention away from me highlighting McDonnell’s desire to ban City bonuses so whatever.

Presumably this will just push the money back to salaries as you suggested. I don't see this making much of a dent in levels of inequality. The numbers of people on that kind of money are too small.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • I have no idea what the song is.

Absolutely impossible to achieve.
  • Stevo_666

Not done deliberately Rick, although as you and RJS have already mentioned, it is likely to just pump up base pay to compensate, which then makes it harder for the banks to manage their payroll cost base going forward.
  • Stevo_666
    edited September 2019
    Rolf F wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Not really worth that degree of hilarity smiley face simply because you can just substitute any face in there and for all anyone knows it might already be a substitution. Do find insulting the Corbster funny but try to do so via images that are actually witty.

SC did better than me. I thought it was "Take me summer house Jezza ash lane" which makes no sense to me at all.
    Some might take that (at least partially) as a subtle defence of Jezza Rolf.

If you don't get it, never mind...
    [Edit: here's the answer :) ]
    https://youtu.be/1vrEljMfXYo
  • rick_chasey
    Sure, though the suggestion was also to limit pay as multiplies of certain salaries within the firm too.

And it's not just banks Stevo.

The rules around bonuses as a max multiple of the base have definitely put a dampener on pay on the continent. Not massive, but material.

After all, base salary euros are worth more than bonus euros.
  • Stevo_666
    Sure, though the suggestion was also to limit pay as multiplies of certain salaries within the firm too.

The rules around bonuses as a max multiple of the base have definitely put a dampener on pay on the continent. Not massive, but material.

Take your point although I thought you were coming at it from the point of view of your sector, as in your post above you referred specifically to 'City bonuses'.

Agree that a base pay Euro is worth more than a bonus Euro - the former is pensionable for a start.

The multiple of salary point is something I may have to look at among other things as part of the planning I mentioned recently. The other fun one is the Labour idea of giving 10% of the equity of certain companies to 'the workers'.
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Take your point although I thought you were coming at it from the point of view of your sector, as in your post above you referred specifically to 'City bonuses'.

Agree that a base pay Euro is worth more than a bonus Euro - the former is pensionable for a start.

The multiple of salary point is something I may have to look at among other things as part of the planning I mentioned recently. The other fun one is the Labour idea of giving 10% of the equity of certain companies to 'the workers'.
    I take less issue with the final proposal; what's your criticism of it?

And to be clear, when I mean the City I guess I mean all of FS, not just banking.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:

And to be clear, when I mean the City I guess I mean all of FS, not just banking.
    For starters:
    - Giving equity to employees should be a matter for companies, not the government.
    - Likely unenforceable on overseas owned Groups, partnerships etc. Could be tricky for small private companies and those where the shareholding/balance of control is critical. So inherently unfair for UK listed companies and even Labour privately recognise there is major execution risk involved.
    - Probably avoidable for many and likely to drive dysfunctional behaviour such as de-listing or putting an overseas parent company in place etc.
    - Unlikely to make workers better off as there can be compensating adjustments elsewhere.
    - It's a tax in disguise as any dividends over a certain threshold goes to the government.
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

For starters:
    - Giving equity to employees should be a matter for companies, not the government.
    - Likely unenforceable on overseas owned Groups, partnerships etc. Could be tricky for small private companies and those where the shareholding/balance of control is critical. So inherently unfair for UK listed companies and even Labour privately recognise there is major execution risk involved.
    - Probably avoidable for many and likely to drive dysfunctional behaviour such as de-listing or putting an overseas parent company in place etc.
    - Unlikely to make workers better off as there can be compensating adjustments elsewhere.
    - It's a tax in disguise as any dividends over a certain threshold goes to the government.

OK so point 1) - meh.
    point 2) is that not a question of how well the law is constructed?
    point 3) yes could be trickier for smaller companies but again, is its effectiveness not in how it's drafted rather than the principle itself?
    point 4) again, depends on execution but yes I see your point
    point 5) I don't get this; someone somewhere is paying the dividend. Surely spreading it out over the workforce merely reduces the tax bill means less dividend is hitting the threshold?

I think having some kind of representation from the workers on how firms are run is in principle, a good thing. I also see no issue with workers being able to have a say in how the profits of the firm are distributed.