Geometry - buying without trying for dummies aka new

Chirsbom
Chirsbom Posts: 17
edited September 2019 in Road buying advice
Hi,

You might have seen my first post on what kind of commuter / gravel / tourer I could get that I put up some time ago.

I have sort of settled on one of three bikes that fit my specifications. Two that I have tried, and one that I only can get via the net.

As I am new to this I am trying to make sense of their respective geomotry, using sites like Geometrygeeks and Bikeinsight. I see the diffence, but cant really translate the data myself as to what matters.

The bikes in question that I have tried is the Merida Silex size L (53), Breezer Radar size L (54), both ok bikes. But the one that tick all the boxes and I would like but cant try before ordering is the Kona Sutra LTD.

Being 189 cm / 6,2" Kona site recommends a 56 or 58 cm frame. But given what I have tried mentioned above I am a bit of loss as to judging them up against each other,

Breezer 54 cm
Stack 627mm, reach 397mm, TT effective 595mm, BB drop 75mm, BB height 281mm, trail 71,7mm, stand over 792,4mm

Silex 53 cm
Stack 644mm, reach 451mm, TT effective 599,7mm, BB drop 75mm, BB height and trail only for Carbon so not sure if appaliable to AL frame, stand over 797mm

Kona 56 cm
Stack 618mm, reach 390, TT effective 585mm, BB drop 72mm, BB height 293mm, trail 71,4mm, stand over 840mm.

Kona 58 cm
Stack 640mm, reach 395mm, TT effective 603mm, BB drop 72mm, BB height 289mm, trail 71,4mm, stand over 860mm.

Now, as this is my first drop bar I dont really know what feel I should want from the bike. What I can tell is that the Silex 53 feelt nice to be in the drop, while the Breezer felt a bit cramped, I wanted to push my ass backwards on the seat.

I have tried measuring my groin and get varied results, so not that realiable. Seems to be 84 cm ( 31,5 inches. Which seems about right as I have a 50/50 or even shorter leg to back ratio. I am worried about stand over on the Kona as bikepackng and even touring with front and rear panniers is a planed usage for the bike.

Any advice on which size Kona to try order, if any?

And how I can expect that bike to ride compared to the other mentioned?

Also, how much can I reasonably adjust a bike with steam and seat without it negatively affect the ride compared to how the bikes is meant to ride?

In advance thank you for all and any input :)

Comments

• Try this site: https://99spokes.com/
    You can overlay different frames and see exactly where the differences are. It may be that the exact year isn't there but if you can find a previous year chances are unless it's had a major redesign it'll be close enough to give you an idea
  • Try this site: https://99spokes.com/
    You can overlay different frames and see exactly where the differences are. It may be that the exact year isn't there but if you can find a previous year chances are unless it's had a major redesign it'll be close enough to give you an idea

Thank you Paul! This is an excellent site :)