Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Purchased an item for camping couple of months ago ... off a facebook advert - not inexpensive, but (would've been) good value.
    Got the item and it wasn't as described - so contacted the seller (ltd co) and arranged a return - ok, it was going to cost me £15 for their pickup fee - pita, but I can live with that ...
    First they didn't arrange the pickup, ignored my emails - so I "disputed" the paypal transaction.
    Eventually picked up and they ignored my emails & paypal communications - then finally, offered me even less refund - so I would've paid £20 to return the item - again, they ignored emails and phone calls - so elevated the dispute to the Paypal resolution team - after uploading the docs to prove the item had been returned, paypal refunded me the whole lot ...

Stupid retailer - you just cost yourself double shipping - if you'd actually bothered communicating with me you'd probably have broken even on it (assuming you're charging me more than it cost you)
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Mickey Mouse.

No, not another Brexit incompetence thread hijack: I'm talking about the mouse himself.

He's the ubiquitous Disney figurehead.

But when did you last actually watch a Mickey Mouse cartoon?

I'm not sure I ever have.
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    Post code lottery winners - has anyone opened the door to the red heroes in PJs with half their breakfast down the front :lol:
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Slowbike wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Why is it that I can do a warm up for a race (running) at a really gentle pace and my legs feel tired and really not up to anything but as soon as the gun goes I can run at a pace 2 minutes per mile faster and everything feels relatively easy (for the first 2/3rds of the race anyway)?
    Similar on the bike - you feel completely knackered, get on the bike & start pedaling - still feeling crap - then get a plethora of PBs* on the way home ...

*well - not any more, because generally I'm slower than I was a few years ago - but, YPBs anyway (yearly PBs ... )

tail winds are great aren't they :D
    yer - right ....

my summer time commute tends to be into the wind both ways - north wind on the way in, then (due to the proximity of the coast) - sea breeze on the way back .... I need to change jobs!

yeah mine goes largely East/West, but same deal headwind in, going home seabreeze affected headwind home. plus I think in areas without valleys/mountains the wind is pretty constant in every direction anyway, its just it tends to be slightly stronger on the prevailing wind direction.

I do get that sometimes though when it takes a good 10-15mins of feeling knackered pedalling away thinking its going to be a rotten ride I must be really slow on this bit that felt awful, before it starts to synch up feeling not so crap anymore on rides, and then you look back at the stats and actually the feeling awful bit was a PB :)
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Must admit I ditched the computer and any form of measuring years ago. I have a pretty good idea what speed I am doing and how long my ride will take. For headwinds I just gear down and pedal faster. The only problem I have is with magic bikes that sail effortlessly past or burn me off at the lights when ridden by an old granny. I guess we have to learn to live with e-bikes.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    What is it exactly the latest moron shouting in the background of all the news reports from Westminster is actually saying? I think the first word is stop but how do you expect to get your message across when you appear to be doing an impression of Rocky?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    david7m wrote:
    Post code lottery winners - has anyone opened the door to the red heroes in PJs with half their breakfast down the front :lol:

I'd pay a good sum of money not to have those idiots knocking on my door "someones knocking on your door, someones getting kicked in the face" etc etc.

I might be exaggerating but no, just no........
    Faster than a tent.......
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Pross wrote:
    What is it exactly the latest moron shouting in the background of all the news reports from Westminster is actually saying? I think the first word is stop but how do you expect to get your message across when you appear to be doing an impression of Rocky?

That guys been there for a very long time yelling something. Quite what he is yelling I have no idea I occasionally make out the odd word but still no idea. He is there a lot so either doesn't work or works nights.
  • robert88
    Step83 wrote:
    Pross wrote:

That guys been there for a very long time yelling something. Quite what he is yelling I have no idea I occasionally make out the odd word but still no idea. He is there a lot so either doesn't work or works nights.

Is he washed or unwashed?
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Robert88 wrote:
    Step83 wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Is he washed or unwashed?

I've only ever heard him, not seen so until as such time arises he shall remain both washed and unwashed, similar to Schrodinger's cat, just more along the lines of hygiene than death. His shouting likely means he is at least breathing.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    731 pages of the seemingly trivial things that annoy you thread and
    191 pages of the seemingly trivial things that cheer you up thread.

Are we cyclists just generally grumpy?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Pross
    Pinno wrote:

The annoying thread started quite a bit earlier. I think it's less that cyclists are grumpy and more that people in general who are relatively privileged like to have a good moan about trivial matters.
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    Pinno wrote:

Few call customer services to say well done :lol:
  • pinno
    Pross wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

The annoying thread started quite a bit earlier.

2 days?!

[you're off to have a look, aren't you?]
  • Step83 wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Originally they were shouting " Stop Brexit", now I believe it's "Stop the coup". Whatever, it's bleeding irritating. I watched the lunchtime news and the BBC reporters outside had mouth microphones or whatever they are called, the ones on a wire with little ball on end attached which wrap around jaw. Done I assume to minimise pick up from assholes shouting in background.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,612
    Talking yesterday with the Russian wife of a Belgian guy who is in UK on a 3 year posting. They are looking to buy a property in UK as they don't want to return to Belgium at the end of his contract. Swop you! Not paying attention to UK politics methinks.
  • Is it possible to fart in your sleep?

I realise that this might be disqualified from this thread, as maybe it's not trivial...
  • Pross
    Is it possible to fart in your sleep?

I realise that this might be disqualified from this thread, as maybe it's not trivial...

Apparently so according to my wife. They can wake you up too.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,487
    Pross wrote:

I concur.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry wrote:
    Pross wrote:

I concur.
    Hmm, I wonder if it's a skill one can learn, or are you two just naturals? I've certainly got aptitude when awake...
  • pinno
    rjsterry wrote:
    Pross wrote:

I concur.
    Hmm, I wonder if it's a skill one can learn, or are you two just naturals? I've certainly got aptitude when awake...

My eight year old daughter does. Her room stinks.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    I wonder how rich the person who lives below me (i live in a flat - i don't just look down on people!) would be if they didn't smoke.

I like having my windows open and the frequency in which i can smell cigarette smoke (one for the annoying thread there!) is incredible! I often work from home so may keep a tally one day and work out how many she smokes! It must be at least 40 a day easily.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • robert88
    rjsterry wrote:
    Pross wrote:

I concur.

Another illusion shattered. I honestly believed you were a musician.
  • pinno
    Robert88 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Pross wrote:

I concur.

Another illusion shattered. I honestly believed you were a musician.

He just might be able to fart pitch perfectly, you never know.
  • awavey
    how you make cheddar cheese, and Id accept its the quality or rather lack of it, that doesnt melt properly and ends up as some weird plasticised crunchy devoid of moisture version
  • Pross
    awavey wrote:
    how you make cheddar cheese, and Id accept its the quality or rather lack of it, that doesnt melt properly and ends up as some weird plasticised crunchy devoid of moisture version

Also, why does the ready grated stuff not melt as well as when you grate it yourself (even when it's the same make)?
  • awavey
    Pross wrote:
    awavey wrote:

Also, why does the ready grated stuff not melt as well as when you grate it yourself (even when it's the same make)?

I used to think that was because I was always using it to put on lasagne that I hadnt properly prepared for cooking so it was sucking all the moisture out to rehydrate and thats why it went a bit weird...now I think its just because I buy rubbish quality cheese :lol: but this is the first time Ive ever bought a block of cheese that behaved like that
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,612
    Ready grated? Wossa matter wid u? Do you buy prepped mashed potato as well? Jeez. Or. Cheese.
  • awavey
    orraloon wrote:
    Ready grated? Wossa matter wid u? Do you buy prepped mashed potato as well? Jeez. Or. Cheese.

I used to feel the same way, would religiously end up always scraping some flesh off my knuckles grating a bit of cheese block thinking how better I was for not buying grated cheese for doing it :)

and then one day, my resistance just crumbled like a good bit of proper cheddar does, maybe I was in rush or Id run out of cheese blocks,or it was on offer and slightly cheaper by weight, I cant remember, but when I used it it was one of those wtf have I been wasting all my time grating cheese before moments, it does the same job but actually better...you just have to remember to avoid the cheap cheese versions else its not so good :lol:
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    Raised an intriguing point.
    If you grated your own cheese, how long would you keep it for?
    How long does pre grated cheese keep for? I'd guess much longer. Why?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.