Di2 Chain replacement

kingrollo
kingrollo Posts: 3,198
edited September 2019 in Workshop
Need to replace the chain on my ultegra di2 bike. Not done it before whats the procedure ? - Im guessing get the chain on will be the same - but I do I need to plug my laptop in and tweak it using e tube

Also what chain to buy - Been told that Kmc are good - would this be the one ?

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/kmc-x11-11-speed-chain/

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    What do you mean - tweak the chain?
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Imposter wrote:

Well with cable shifting you need to make adjustments after fitting a new chain - If I need to do this - would it be done in the etube project software.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Not sure about that. I've never had to adjust shifting (assuming that's what you meant) after fitting a new chain. Fitting a new chain should not result in any adjustments being required.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    kingrollo wrote:
    Well with cable shifting you need to make adjustments after fitting a new chain - If I need to do this - would it be done in the etube project software.

No you don't. There is absolutely no need to make any adjustments.

All you need to do is buy the appropriate speed chain, remove old one from bike, take out however many links from new chain to get it to the same number of links as old chain. Fit it. Ride.
    Simples.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    kingrollo wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

I've never made adjustments with cable shifters after changing a chain. I have never needed to.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Changing a chain should not affect the indexing, whether di2 or mechanical. If however you do need to adjust your indexing it is done by fine tuning in adjustment mode (by pressing the button on your Junction A box and fine tuning the indexing with the shift buttons). I suggest reading the Dealer Manual before playing with it if you don’t know what you are doing.

PP