La Vuelta 2019, Stage 14:San Vicente de la Barquera > Oviedo - 07/09/2019 - 188kms *Spoilers*

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
edited September 2019 in Pro race
La Vuelta 2019, Stage 14:San Vicente de la Barquera > Oviedo - 07/09/2019 - 188kms

At 188 kilometres, the 14th stage of the Vuelta a España travels from San Vicente de la Barquera to Oviedo, along Spain's Northern coast. A bunch sprint is the most likely scenario.

2452f

The Vuelta last visited Oviedo in 2016, but unlike today, not for a finish in the city streets. Instead, the riders tackled the nearby Alto del Naranco to finish atop. Early attacker David de la Cruz took the spoils. A bunch sprint is more likely this time, as the finish is flat. So is most of the route, for that matter. The last climb is crested 22.6 kilometres from the line. It is the Alto La Madera, which is certainly not the hardest uphill in the world. The Madera ascent goes up for 8 kilometres at 3.5%, very steady. The last part of the race is flat.

66fad

The riders descend the Alto de la Madera to continue onto a pan-flat finale, or so it seems........

bd7e0

In reality, it looks like this.

ztCOGpT.png

Favourites 14th stage 2019 Vuelta a España
Sprinters who have some energy left in the tank after two tough mountain stages should grab the opportunity on La Vuelta's 14th stage.
So look to see Bora and Deceuninck - Quick-Step controlling the breakaway.

*** Sam Bennett
** Fabio Jakobsen, Fernando Gaviria
*** Marc Sarreau, Max Walscheid, Edward Theuns, Luka Mezgec

San Vicente de la Barquera
2 stages of La Vuelta have departed from San Vicente de la Barquera

4,173 inhabitants.
San Vicente de la Barquera boasts some of the finest scenery on Spain’s northern coastline. This town in Cantabria lies within the Oyambre Nature Park, and its natural landscape is stunning, combining river estuaries, cliffs, beaches and dunes with extensive meadows and forests. This means the area has an exceptional array of flora and fauna. Following the successful starts held in 2008 and 2013; 2019 will again constitute a sporting milestone in the town’s history.

San-Vicente-de-la-Barquera-y-los-Picos-de-Europa-nevados-Alfredo-Rodriguez-01.jpg

Local restaurants are renowned, often for their seafood.

Certamen-de-Marisco-750x500.jpg

But the Bar Javi also serves these babies.

getlstd-property-photo.jpg

Oviedo
11 stages of La Vuelta have had finale in Oviedo

220,301 inhabitants.
The city of Oviedo is used to seeing the Vuelta pass through its streets: but for the last 30 years all the stages in the area have finished at the Alto del Naranco mountain pass. The last event leaders to cross the finish line in the city itself were ‘Lucho’ Herrera, Robert Millar and Miguel Induráin. In 2019 a new name will be added to the list of Vuelta stage winners on these streets.

f83bf

Local cuisine tends to be simple, meat based and hearty.

local-food-asturias-spain-7.jpg.optimal.jpg

el-fondin-oviedo-spain-11.jpg.optimal.jpg
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    Time for the winner to get the Asturian hat so expect a fierce competition for the line.

Hopefully they don't have to eat the fabada stew pictured above.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    Been to Oviedo, it has a very attractive old town around the cathedral.
    Half man, Half bike
  • Lord that's a fair old breakfast bun.
    Isn't it odd to schedule a flat and potentially v boring stage on a Saturday?
    Though I suppose the klaxon could be blown at some point.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,924
    I see they pass through Ribadesella which brings back good memories of when I did (twice) Descensco Internacional del Sella kayak race (20km).... great race, but manic and finished at the bridge in Ribadesella.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • GC boys wiped out in a huge crash!
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    Huge chute!
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • DeadCalm
    Watching on my phone with no commentary. Pretty sure I saw Pogacar go down pretty hard. Looked like Roglic and Valverde hit the deck also. Anyone with a better view see who was affected?
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Waiting on horrible news on peloton getting minced by disc brakes
  • DeadCalm
    According to Jumbo Twitter, looks like Roglic didn't hit the deck.
    Team My Man 2022:

• More importantly, does everyone still have working thumbs? ;)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Watched the slo mo of the crash in super slo mo.
    Worst off of the GC boys was Pogacar who went piling in a right over his bars. Landed on his shoulder and rolled.
    Lopez dead lucky to avoid him completely. Valverde had a bit of a tumble but looked minor. Roglic managed to pull up right behind the sprawled Pogacar.

Mezgec looked bad, off in the ambulance to hospital.

Oh and somewhere on the run in, Quintana seems to have lost almost 2 minutes.
    I'm sure I saw him moving up inside the final kms. :?
  • UAE just posted a tweet. Pogacar is fine (he says). He looked OK from the podium pic too.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    Lord that's a fair old breakfast bun.
    Isn't it odd to schedule a flat and potentially v boring stage on a Saturday?
    Though I suppose the klaxon could be blown at some point.

It's difficult to finish in a city during the week due to traffic
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    edited September 2019
    86 Grand Tour stages since Ineos last won one
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,315
    Hahaha <3:lol:
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Um. Who won then?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Um. Who won then?
    Bennett. Sam Bennett. By quite some margin.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    RichN95 wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Um. Who won then?
    Bennett. Sam Bennett. By quite some margin.
    Ok good as he was my PTP.

Thanks!

Back in the real world from Monday so I might figure out what is actually happening.
  • DeadCalm
    Watched the slo mo of the crash in super slo mo.
    Worst off of the GC boys was Pogacar who went piling in a right over his bars. Landed on his shoulder and rolled.
    Lopez dead lucky to avoid him completely. Valverde had a bit of a tumble but looked minor. Roglic managed to pull up right behind the sprawled Pogacar.

Mezgec looked bad, off in the ambulance to hospital.

Oh and somewhere on the run in, Quintana seems to have lost almost 2 minutes.
    I'm sure I saw him moving up inside the final kms. :?
    Thank you.
    Team My Man 2022:

• Quintana's time gap has now been removed, so none of the GC lost time.