Who buys a Ti Bike these days?

13»

Comments

• amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    If I had the money I wouldn't hesitate to get a Seven,a Moots or a Curve. Enigmas top end bikes are still made in the UK but for me those US produced Ti bikes just have it esp the Seven SLX. The devil is in the details just as it is with Carbon
  • My wife's Dura-Ace Ti Merlin is a "forever" bike. I bought it for her as a 30th birthday present a while ago (ahem), and pre-children, but it still makes both of us smile. It's light, fast, and comfortable. I would love to have an extra 10k to build up a top shelf Super Record Ti frame but sadly that's unlikely to happen.

That said, ride quality is affected much more by touch points (seat/post/stem/bars) and wheels/tires, I think, and you can tune carbon and alu, as well as steel. Ti to me is a luxe material, with all that implies.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,036
    Shortfall wrote:
    From your second link:

At the moment you can’t buy a bike made from Super Magnesium but when or if bike brands utilise it the company is confident the price will be comparable with aluminium but cheaper than carbon fibre. But the real test will be how the new alloy rides, and for that, we’ll have to wait a while.

I'm holding out for a Gorilla glass frame, that will be cool.

however realistically I'd probably go for stainless steel today rather than Ti.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    davidof wrote:
    Shortfall wrote:
    From your second link:

At the moment you can’t buy a bike made from Super Magnesium but when or if bike brands utilise it the company is confident the price will be comparable with aluminium but cheaper than carbon fibre. But the real test will be how the new alloy rides, and for that, we’ll have to wait a while.

I'm holding out for a Gorilla glass frame, that will be cool.

Cinelli XCR? It keeps calling me, my wallet cry's, a lot...
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,294
    Step83 wrote:
    davidof wrote:
    Cinelli XCR? It keeps calling me, my wallet cry's, a lot...
    I think SG's shiny bike is an XCR, possibly in my size too. It's a lovely thing of loveliness.
  • Sadly my 2005 incarnation of the Somec Ti frame has been superseded by a 'full' Ti version (mine is the Titano which has a Columbus Muscle 12k carbon fibre seat/chain stay section epoxy bonded into the seat tube/bottom bracket shell) but I'd replace it with the current rim brake iteration of their Magnus frameset if anything were to happen to my frame.

31465002357_920bc6d276_k.jpg
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,617
    The carbon stays are completely unnecessary... but damn its a nice looking frame. Puts me in mind of one of those Sevens with the equally pointless carbon seat tube, from around 2000.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,036
    The carbon stays are completely unnecessary...

nonsense, they hold the rear wheel in place !
    :D
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    looks the the first gen Boardman Pro (which is in itself, a brilliant bike) but without the funky tube shapes or full Dura Ace and Ritchey WCS for £600......

#retrochainstays
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Shortfall wrote:
    From your second link:

Crunching the numbers on Super Magnesium
    With any material that's supposed to be the Next Big Thing for bike applications, the devil is always in the detail. Allite's initial announcement of Super Magnesium is light on detail — and that's being kind.. It would be great if they could bring it to the mass market though.
    An update. Super Magnesium bikes exist and to be available in Europe soon;

https://road.cc/content/tech-news/26631 ... aast-bikes

https://www.vaastbikes.com/
  • One thing about titanium it gets finger prints and marks easy enough after a wash - I’ve a van Nicholas and although it’s beautifully detailed and rides well , they put silly cheap decals that wear off ridiculously easy.

Planet X spitfire looks tasty and cheap enough at the mo by the way
  • boblo
    boblo Posts: 360
    One thing about titanium it gets finger prints and marks easy enough after a wash - I’ve a van Nicholas and although it’s beautifully detailed and rides well , they put silly cheap decals that wear off ridiculously easy.

A wipe down with a bit of WD40 on a rag has it looking like new again.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    One thing about titanium it gets finger prints and marks easy enough after a wash - I’ve a van Nicholas and although it’s beautifully detailed and rides well , they put silly cheap decals that wear off ridiculously easy.

Think that's certainly true of the ones with a polished finish. Mine has a plain "brushed" finish (if that's the right description) and doesn't seem to suffer from finger marks much. A wipe down with a baby wipe once in a while seems to keep mine looking like new with the occasional wd40 on a clean rag once a year or so.
  • gary_sparrow
    gary_sparrow Posts: 181
    edited September 2019
    Good tip, Isn’t it amazing what wd40 can do . Is there literally anything it can’t do !
  • Oh it works too just tried it .
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    Good tip, Isn’t it amazing what wd40 can do . Is there literally anything it can’t do !
    WD40 can't make a roast dinner!