If this was a 2nd referendum, which way would you vote?

mfin
mfin Posts: 6,729
edited September 2019 in The cake stop
If this was a 2nd referendum, which way would you vote?

A fair amount of people are hanging around on Cake Stop talking about Brexit, it might be interesting to see.

Comments

• morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    If offered a vote, I would (again) vote remain.
    I am not actively campaigning for a 2nd referendum though. I would accept leaving with a (the) deal as that is what was campaigned for and won.
    That nobody was happy with the deal is the strongest argument for a 2nd ref.
    If there were to be a second, it would have to be preferential vote with the above 3 options.
    I think the deal would win on 2nd preference as there is no strong indication anything would win a clear majority.
    Any of those 3 options can be implemented pretty much immediately with no further nonsensical political manoeuvring.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,218
    Surely more interesting to ask if you'd vote the same or differently?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,508
    I think Cake Stop's position is known.
  • It'll be no suprise I voted Remain and would again

Had I been an MP I would have voted for May's deal
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,218
    TheBigBean wrote:
    I think Cake Stop's position is known.

Yours isn't though.
  • does it matter. We do referendums badly. Simple majority, not legally binding i.e the same mess will happen again.

Also queue all those who say a three choice preference vote is too complicated for everyone. Queue all those who say it will have to be a two part referendum on two dates (second date with lower turnout)...

We did it once and it dod not turn out so well. The deifniation of insanity is doing somethign again and again thinking it will somehow turn out better.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Surely more interesting to ask if you'd vote the same or differently?

agreed

and include did not vote last/this time as an option, also if you are now 18+ and if you are now dead.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    and if you are now dead.

I voted remain, would do so again, but unfortunately I've gone and snuffed it. I fully expect the mountebank Johnson and his shady mates to resurrect me on the electoral roll, and make me vote to leave with no deal.
  • mfin
    oxoman wrote:
    Same way I voted the first time, it's between me and the ballot box.

Ah you mean remain then, as that's the only option above that was on the 1st referendum. Now its between you and anyone reading :)
  • mfin
    I'm a bit surprised the first few have been over 90% remain. I thought there might be more of a cross section here.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Asking this question in Cake Stop is like asking Sun readers if they want the return of pictures of women with big t1ts in their paper.
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    ..The deifniation of insanity is doing somethign again and again thinking it will somehow turn out better.

In my case that's the definition of learning.

(Whatever you do don't go back and try to fix your spelling mistakes; they are kinda cute..)
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    oxoman wrote:
    Same way I voted the first time, it's between me and the ballot box.

don't forget the counter ;0
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • robert88
    Shortfall wrote:
    Asking this question in Cake Stop is like asking Sun readers if they want the return of pictures of women with big t1ts in their paper.

You mean they are not there any more? When did that happen?
  • Robert88 wrote:
    ..The deifniation of insanity is doing somethign again and again thinking it will somehow turn out better.

(Whatever you do don't go back and try to fix your spelling mistakes; they are kinda cute..)

serious point - he may be dyslexic
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,208
    If there was a 2nd referendum it would need to be two parts really, the first would be remain or leave and then if leave won again it would need a further question leave with a deal or leave with no deal. I suspect that the result would end up being a fairly comfortable win for leave with a deal after the initial vote went in the favour of leave. Before that ideally we would need a few different deal options based on differing red lines with the MPs voting to choose which gets offered to the people. In a perfect world this would have been going on in the background for 3 years.
  • Robert88 wrote:
    Shortfall wrote:

You mean they are not there any more? When did that happen?
    ahh "readers"
  • Pross wrote:
    If there was a 2nd referendum it would need to be two parts really, the first would be remain or leave and then if leave won again it would need a further question leave with a deal or leave with no deal. I suspect that the result would end up being a fairly comfortable win for leave with a deal after the initial vote went in the favour of leave. Before that ideally we would need a few different deal options based on differing red lines with the MPs voting to choose which gets offered to the people. In a perfect world this would have been going on in the background for 3 years.

as no deal will never win you may as well go straight in with a defined deal or remain
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Pross wrote:
    This was effectively the most sensible thing to be said on QT last night. The LBC presenter who is a leaver basically closed with the point that the time for compromise was 2016 when May should have sought cross house consensus rather than going it alone.
  • robert88
    Robert88 wrote:

serious point - he may be dyslexic

In which case he has difficulty in learning?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,208
    Pross wrote:

as no deal will never win you may as well go straight in with a defined deal or remain

Takes away the argument by those who say 'this isn't the Brexit people voted for' though.
  • I'd still vote remain and probably giving the absolute f*cking chaos of last couple years so would about 80% of population now. However, that being said what's done is done. Sort it out Westminster you bunch of dead skin.
  • mfin
    Pross wrote:
    If there was a 2nd referendum it would need to be two parts really, the first would be remain or leave and then if leave won again it would need a further question leave with a deal or leave with no deal.

Naa.
  • mfin
    Shortfall wrote:

Really? Why are people interested in cycling anti-brexit then? Doesn't make sense why there would be a correlation.

Maybe you mean it's full of people who like discussing things and thinking them through :)
  • mfin
    2 No deals, 0 Deals and 53 remains at the moment.

I'm genuinely surprised, I hadn't thought it would be that extreme for one minute.
  • Ian_d
    Ian_d Posts: 69
    "The millennium bug" who remembers that, so much crap spoke by so many, the world will end computers will cause havoc and what happened Nada zilch nothing. Remoaners speak so much crap, how do they know what will happen, they do not, they just speculate. It will hurt the EU the same if not more than the UK.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,607
    ^ got one. Of 2!
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,607
    Anyway, this 'remoaner' (aw bless your little cotton socks) made sh1t loads of dosh contracting in IT in the late 90s to fend off that baxtard millennium bug. So actually I didn't need to do that corporate sh1t any more after that. I theng yew.
  • mfin
    I don't think you can compare the millennium bug to brexit. The millennium bug was a news thing at the time but those in the know about tech knew what was going to be affected and what wasn't. The effects of how brexit may play out on the other hand is incredibly complex.

Why do people have to use immature terms like remoaner, it's not about generalisations and pigeon holing, it's a topic that is full of complexity and mechanics.

Emotional involvement in it is nothing but childish, resorting to insults like calling people remoaner is so silly it's embarrassing really. Talking about issues, compromise and ways forward is what's needed instead.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    mfin wrote:
    2 No deals, 0 Deals and 53 remains at the moment.

I'm genuinely surprised, I hadn't thought it would be that extreme for one minute.

Have you even read the Brexit threads :lol: I thought it was supposed to be Leavers who were full of bigotry and hatred, until I started reading that. :wink: