Cleat wear indicator popped off - still safe to ride?

Gouldy-89
Gouldy-89 Posts: 49
edited September 2019 in Road general
Hi all,

Came into work today and noticed one of the wear indicators has just popped off. Not worn down or anything as all the other have plenty of material left. Only done maybe 300 miles on them as well. Just wondering if it is still safe to use till a new set arrives (to get me home mainly!)

Shimano spd sl yellow is the cleat BTW.
Thanks

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Just take it easy - no full on sprints. Still safer than not being clipped in I reckon.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    yes - no prob - mine have been like that for the whole year - got some new ones to put on .... when I get a round toit ...
  • jlloyd
    jlloyd Posts: 131
    As long as the contact points aren't overly damagaed and they clip in and out ok. They'll be fine for many more miles
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    From my experience they are always the first part of the cleat to fail (on shimano cleats) but have never caused an issue when clipped in.
  • Thanks all, will take it easy to get home and order a replacement.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    the blue/ yellow/ red bits, when they wear still mean you have a reasonable amount of life left in them. its when ( with me) the front secion wears at the top and you get more movement than normal. though that also accelerates pedal wear.