Euro Cyclist Panache

bradsbeard
bradsbeard Posts: 210
edited September 2019 in The cake stop
Thing struck me over the years cycling abroad is the panache most euro cyclists have.

Mainly I speak of the Italians, Spanish and French. Kit matching and en vouge, bike fits, pedaling style is perfect motion. The bike is a perfect match. Of course there are exceptions!

German's are a 50/50

Brits cycling abroad seem stick out like sore thumbs. Look awkward on the bike. Bandy knees. Ill fitting bikes. Kit just plain bloody awful. Mismatch of colours in helmet, glasses and shoes. Gaudy jerseys and socks to short or none at all.

In this age of cycling shouldn't we be doing better? :lol:

Comments

• slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    Your insight into Brit’s abroad covers much more than the cycling demographic you’ve mentioned
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Can't say this is something I've noticed, especially in France, not ridden in Italy.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    When I was in Tenerife last year I found it fairly easy to spot British riders before I heard them speak
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,162
    The main problem with Brit cyclists is those tired old sweeping generalisations they come out with :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,242
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    The main problem with Brit cyclists is those tired old sweeping generalisations they come out with :)

How would you know? You're not even a roadie.

I imagine you probably see more doggers on your trails than road cyclists.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,162
    Stevo 666 wrote:

How would you know? You're not even a roadie.

I imagine you probably see more doggers on your trails than road cyclists.
    I can read quite a few of them on here :)

Also I spend a few hours a week doing the London commute by bike.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Last time I rode abroad was Spain, can't say I felt like I was being upstaged in any way. Though my inability to tan and non shaven legs likely made me look rather odd among the highly tanned shaven riders likely pointed me out as a non local. :lol:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Time for a "Seemingly trivial stereotypes that annoy you" thread.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • When I'm riding in Italy I notice that the local riders wear heavily logo emblazoned kit, jersey & shorts. Not particularly team kits, and I don't know the names on them.

I try and ensure I'm relatively coordinated when I'm out, I just wear black.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,595
    Not sure if this belongs here, or in the things that cheer you up thread.
    Seen on Monday coming in the opposite direction round the Lake Annecy cycle path.
    What looked like a school mistress on a sit up and beg bike with full weather fairings going along at a fair old lick.
    #noneedforlycra

PS - It is fairly easy to decide who gets a “bonjour” and who gets a “hello”.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    bradsbeard wrote:
    Brits cycling abroad seem stick out like sore thumbs. Look awkward on the bike. Bandy knees. Ill fitting bikes. Kit just plain bloody awful. Mismatch of colours in helmet, glasses and shoes. Gaudy jerseys and socks to short or none at all.

Speak for yourself, lad.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • I drafted Sporting Tavira for all of a hundred yards this morning when they were out on a training run.

It was not their kit that stood out (unless you follow Celtic) more their ability in comparison to an old fart like myself!!

They always give a Bom Dia though to be fair to them.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Must have met different French cyclists to me, the ones I've seen are the scruffiest cyclists I've seen outside of an Audax. Also, absolutely no-one looks good in cycling kit to anyone other than another cyclist so posing outside a cafe in your matching Rapha next to your £10k bike whilst sipping an espresso and showing of your tan lines just make you look like a tool to virtually everyone passing.
  • Pross wrote:
    Must have met different French cyclists to me, the ones I've seen are the scruffiest cyclists I've seen outside of an Audax. Also, absolutely no-one looks good in cycling kit to anyone other than another cyclist so posing outside a cafe in your matching Rapha next to your £10k bike whilst sipping an espresso and showing of your tan lines just make you look like a tool to virtually everyone passing.

yeah but so long as you look good in your reflected glow from the shop window opposite, who cares.

Even the pros are guilty of it.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Pross wrote:
    I believe I look good in my cycling kit of Norfolk jacket and plus fours in a nice Donegal tweed especially when posing.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    Saw loads of overweight French cyclists with ill-fitting team kit when I was in Annecy recently. I don’t normally take any note of what other people wear or ride, but I couldn’t miss the stand-out hideousness of many of the get ups on show.
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    To be honest, it's something I haven't really thought about. I did a touristy run over the mountains - there were eleven of us. One guy was riding a heap with a rusty chain which I thought was a breakdown waiting to happen, but no, and he was faster than most of us. Can't remember his kit at all.