Bottle Cages that won’t rattle

bmxboy10
bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
edited September 2019 in Road buying advice
I think that I’ve concluded the rattles from my bike are coming from the cages. I’ve got Specialzed Rib Cages at the moment so would like to try something else. The rib cages do flex quite a bit so would like recommendations for a more ridged cage please.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    There's no particular reason why Spec rib cages should rattle - mine don't. Rattling suggests either that they are loose, or the cage is broken..
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I have Lezyne Flow cages with Camelbak Podium bottles. Utterly silent and grip like a gorilla.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    I use Supacaz fly carbon cages (Not cheap), with camelbak podium bottles, and the grip level is just right.

I still have some of the standard fare Elite cages, but the grip level for podium bottles is somewhat excessive imho.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • I've always had alu bottle cages like these:

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Specia ... lsrc=aw.ds

Never had any issues with them. Not sure why your cages are rattling - AFAIK it's not a common problem. Are your cage bolts secure in the frame (daft question I know). Or is it the bottles themselves that are rattling in the cages?
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    I've always had alu bottle cages like these:

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Specia ... lsrc=aw.ds

Never had any issues with them. Not sure why your cages are rattling - AFAIK it's not a common problem. Are your cage bolts secure in the frame (daft question I know). Or is it the bottles themselves that are rattling in the cages?

I’ve used those Specialized cages for the past 30 years on my tourer. They are brilliant. Being aluminium, they can be bent slightly to accommodate smaller or bigger bottles without rattling.

I think part of the problem may be bottle size. I’ve found they vary quite a bit between makes. That’s why a bendable cage is so useful. The worst cages I’ve used for rattling were Planet X carbon. I had to glue bits of rubber inside the arms to make them hold my bottles more securely. My best bike has Arundel Mandible carbon cages which provide a really secure grip and no rattles at all. They are now very expensive and hard to find in the UK because, I think, of distributor issues. Condor are advertising them and Canyon.
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    I really like the Tacx deva -great design, the best I've tried. Cheap, light, strong. It grips really well but not hard to insert bottles back in. Also takes every make of bottle I've used (including camelback podium which can be too tight in Elite cages).
  • I use Cube HPP Bottle Cages with my Camel Baks, no issues what so ever, and they match my bike!
  • I wrap a small amount of insulating tape at the top of any bottle cages if there is a bit of a rattle. Just takes up the slack.
  • Chinese Arundel manidbles. No rattle grip like a vice
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Take the cages off to check that it is them causing the rattles ? Before you splash out ?

Won't take more than a few minutes.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    might be the bottles. wrap a bit of tape around the top of the holder, that should help.