Carrera sulcata

Devotion
Devotion Posts: 6
edited September 2019 in MTB buying advice
Hi people new to the forum. I've brought a carrera sulcata it has a few issues it currently has sram x4 and mechanical disc breaks I wanted to swap the sram out for shimano parts may be decore and want hydraulic breaks better forks than the sun tour ones on there was wondering if you guys could help me with sizes etc so I can order some bits. Also last thing is it possible that i can have a 27.5 tyre on the rear and 29 on the front thanks

Comments

• That's a word salad.. I'll attempt to dissect it.

Firstly sram x4 shifters and dérailleurs ain't great, but they are functional if set up well and maintained. to swap it all out for a better sram or shimano group set will be expensive.

Mechanical disk brakes are also fine when set up properly, but are a general pain in the arse as you have to keep adjusting them as the pads wear.

Clarks hydraulic brakes might be a good replacement if you're on a tight budjet, above that sram Level or shimano deore.

As for forks, what does it currently have? I'm guessing an xct pogo stick.
    A suntour air fork such as a Raidon or epixon will be a good upgrade but again that's another expensive upgrade.
  • Tbh I would just ride that as it is, and save up to buy a better whole bike when you can, as all the upgrades you want to do will cost a fair bit more than you’ve paid for the bike, and you won’t get any of it back if you do move it on. If stuff breaks, replace it with an upgrade, but I wouldn’t start changing stuff for the sake of it.
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • Yeah I've got a few spares laying around aswell as a vengeance that's why i was asking just wanted something different from the norm. Can you have a 27.5 on the back of sulcata
  • Not on a tight budget either
  • Assuming you have the same axle in the rear hub, then yes it will go in and you could ride it, wether it would be any good, that’s another question.
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
  • Ok mate thanks
  • Looked in my work shop I've got these bits laying around would they work together shimano fc mt 100 crankset shimano Altus m370 shifters shimano Altus rear derailleur and deore front derailleur.
  • Should do. What size chainrings and cassette do you have, and what length rear mech cage? It’s unlikely they won’t fit tbf. Not sure you’ll see much improvement though.
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Altus are no better than X4, I wouldn't bother.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • It does seem like a side grade rather than an upgrade, doesn't seem any point to swap from sram to shimano in this case
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    If you feel the need to make that many changes I’d suggest you have bought the wrong bike.
    Sell it and buy a bike better suited to your needs/wants.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009