New Wahoo Kickr?

tmg
tmg Posts: 651
Am going to be purchasing a new direct drive smart trainer, think I have decided on the Wahoo Kickr, the only thing stopping me from pressing the buy button is that the last version was released in mid 2018 so surely there should be something new coming soon?

Comments

• chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    It is eurobike at the moment - don't buy any trainer until that has finished!

that'll be when all new trainers are released for the winter - after then buy whatever you like :)
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • chris_bass
    iHaUZpKCWwMQrwB4Gk8BT9-650-80.jpg

this also suggests waiting until tomorrow might be a good idea!
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    tmg wrote:
    Am going to be purchasing a new direct drive smart trainer, think I have decided on the Wahoo Kickr, the only thing stopping me from pressing the buy button is that the last version was released in mid 2018 so surely there should be something new coming soon?

What made you choose the Kickr over the Neo 2? £99 difference.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    From what wahoo have teased, and DCR and Shane Miller have hinted, Wahoo are likely to announce a new gadget and possibly a new model of wheel on trainer. Not long to wait now until we find out.

OP fwiw, i have the kickr 3 (silent one released last September) and love it. However, it still annoys me that it does require a calibration 10mins or so in to rides (or every few rides if you don't move it). It works great with the Wahoo Bolt, but there is no reason it wouldn't work just as well with other gps computers. So, if i was buying again, i would probably buy the Neo purely for the no calibration, and the downhill sim - this is assuming Garmin don't make a mess of things now they own Tacx.
  • Right. It's September 4th here now, what's the story? :wink:
    redvision wrote:
    So, if i was buying again, i would probably buy the Neo purely for the no calibration, and the downhill sim - this is assuming Garmin don't make a mess of things now they own Tacx.
    The KICKR is a rock solid trainer for sure. I bought a first gen NEO for the no calibration and (at the time) it was the quietest by far. The downhill simulation is alright, but it's certainly not something I think about much.
  • chris_bass
    I don't really see the benefit of smart bikes for the home user - seem good for gyms but not for home in my opinion
  • redvision
    edited September 2019
    Chris Bass wrote:
    I don't really see the benefit of smart bikes for the home user - seem good for gyms but not for home in my opinion

I have mixed feelings. Takes away the faff of setting everything up and in theory saves space. But then you can't take it outside on the road. And they are crazy prices.

The kickr bike fit system (app) looks brilliant though!

Looks like eurobike 2019 will be dominated by complete smart bike trainers.
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    Chris Bass wrote:

I'd go one further and say it's actually worse. Unless all you do is indoor training why not train on the bike you race/do events/ride outside on and get used to the position, saddle, hoods etc..

redvision wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:

I have mixed feelings. Takes away the faff of setting everything up and in theory saves space. But then you can't take it outside on the road. And they are crazy prices.

How does an indoor bike that can't be dismantled/stored save space?

Also curious as to what DCR says about "an entirely new KICKR design, one that far more closely resembles that of the electromagnetic unit that is the Tacx NEO series" but then goes on to say it has a 13kg flywheel. The Neo is so good because it doesn't have a physical flywheel, allowing it to be far more realistic in the inertia it produces.
  • redvision
    joey54321 wrote:

The kickr bike combines a bike, a kickr and a kickr climb into one pretty tidy unit. You don't have back wheels lying about the room, you don't have 3 pieces of equipment. You might not think it would save space but it really does. Just ask anyone who bought a watt bike.
  • joey54321
    redvision wrote:
    joey54321 wrote:

The kickr bike combines a bike, a kickr and a kickr climb into one pretty tidy unit. You don't have back wheels lying about the room, you don't have 3 pieces of equipment. You might not think it would save space but it really does. Just ask anyone who bought a watt bike.

But if you are using an indoor bike those wheels (attached to your bike) are taking space up elsewhere?

Maybe it's just my set up, but I turbo train in our spare room, it's nice that all I need to do to make it ready for a guest is to wheel the bike out.
  • redvision
    joey54321 wrote:

But if you are using an indoor bike those wheels (attached to your bike) are taking space up elsewhere?

Maybe it's just my set up, but I turbo train in our spare room, it's nice that all I need to do to make it ready for a guest is to wheel the bike out.

Yeah but you still have the turbo to move and have to put the bike somewhere right?

I used to think exactly the same but when I saw a mate's pain cave which was set up in a spare room and had a wattbike atom, I appreciated how much less space it actually takes than my set up with a kickr.

Best way to see this is look at the images of a bike on a kickr on a wahoo training mat. Now look at the images of their smart bike announced today on the same training mats. You will see the difference in size (and therefore, space).

Still totally agree though that unless you do all riding indoor then these bikes are not worth it.
  • StillGoing
    I don't get smart bikes either. If you're struggling for space, I fail to see how a smart bike takes up less space. You'll still have your real bike/s standing around. My set up is in part of the garage where I can still get 2 cars in. I've got my winter trainer on the Neo, my young daughters Frog 58 on her turbo, 4 bikes hanging on the wall, plus workshop tools and equipment and weight kit. The winter Trainers rear wheel is hung up out of the way too. If I need more floor space for something, I can with easily hang the winter bike up, fold the Neo away to one side, or my daughters Frog and her turbo. With a smart bike, I wouldn't be able to do that.

I'd also not be willing to pay £3500 for it.
  • redvision
    I think the smart bikes are targeted mainly at the growing market of enthusiasts who cycle indoors only.

That said, whilst my kickr is great, it would be nice to not have to set it all up everytime I use it. Granted it only takes 10 minutes or so but still....

The price tag of these bikes is crazy though.
    I thought the atom was expensive but this is more than double that price!
  • cgfw201
    cgfw201 Posts: 674
    Seems bonkers money.

I've got a Tacx Flux. Sits in the corner of the room out the way when not in use. Bikes hang from the ceiling out the way when not in use, takes up zero room or floorspace. Takes 30 secs to set up bike on it.

Nice bike can go on trainer and outdoors.

Get a smartbike and unless you can write off an entire room to accommodate it, it seeems like a colossal waste of space and money.

Sure, if I had an empty room and £3500 to spend and a desire to do loads of indoor training and inexcplicably forgot how to remove my rear wheel, I might consider one.
  • StillGoing
    Seems to me its aimed at gyms or those fortunate enough to have deep pockets and big houses with plenty of room, with no or little intention of venturing outdoors on a bike.
  • I train indoors probably on average 3-4 days per week throughout the year (more in winter, less in summer of course). I have a dedicated space, TV and turbo bike permanently set up. Maybe if I were starting from scratch and had deeper pockets I *might* be tempted to look into a smart bike setup, or maybe not.

It sure does look the goods!
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    Sounds like a recipe for more complication to me.

Those who don't want the setup time, simply buy a cheap second hand bike to attach permanently to your trainer, and you have the same functionality for a fraction of the price.

What happens when you get reliability issues, or something akin to the bottom bracket failing, will you have to speak to the lbs\manufacturer, or will you be able to use your own tools to change these items - plus how much will a Bottom bracket even cost for one of these, will it be generic or propiatary I wonder?
    Same goes for crankset \ chainrings.

On a cheap turbo bike, as long as you have the tools and knowledge, changing a BB, cassette, chainrings are all cheap (If you stick to low to mid range components) and easy.

If the frame ever cracks, I simply buy a new 2nd hand frame for circa £100 or less.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • joey54321
    https://www.bikeradar.com/news/srm-smar ... ning-bike/

Seems like companies really believe there is a market for these things.
  • redvision
    joey54321 wrote:

Seems like companies really believe there is a market for these things.

There is clearly a market. As I said above, these bikes are targeting those who choose not to ride outside. This year British cycling conducted a survey which showed how big indoor training had become. And it does seem that there is a growing number of cyclists who would rather spend thousands on one of these smart trainer bikes than a road bike.
  • daniel_b
    I imagine the main market will be hotels and gyms etc.

I predominantly ride indoors, 3-4 times a week currently, but would never give up riding outdoors.
    In 6 months time I will be commuting by bike on average 100 miles a week though, so turbo usage will reduce.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • They are obviously very expensive but one of the things being missed here to their advantage is

1. They can be used by multiple people in the household which is not really the case with a real bike.

I was training a lot on an old turbo and then my wife was doing a triathlon so was having to swap bikes all the time in a dining room where the risk of oil etc on the carpet was ever present and just the general hassle of getting bikes in and out of a shed.

I would be interested in one if the price was potentially lower. I have currently have my first bike on a NEO with an old imac as screen as we have moved house and have a dedicated room
  • joey54321
    They are obviously very expensive but one of the things being missed here to their advantage is

1. They can be used by multiple people in the household which is not really the case with a real bike.

I was training a lot on an old turbo and then my wife was doing a triathlon so was having to swap bikes all the time in a dining room where the risk of oil etc on the carpet was ever present and just the general hassle of getting bikes in and out of a shed.

I would be interested in one if the price was potentially lower. I have currently have my first bike on a NEO with an old imac as screen as we have moved house and have a dedicated room

That is true, though at the price you can have a fleet of Tacx Neos to support the whole family with the advantage of all being able to train at the same time.
  • daniel_b
    joey54321 wrote:
    They are obviously very expensive but one of the things being missed here to their advantage is

That is true, though at the price you can have a fleet of Tacx Neos to support the whole family with the advantage of all being able to train at the same time.

This is very true.

Now if you had one (Perhaps the Kickr has the functionality) where you could alter the fit of the bike, ie program in that for rider A, the stem is 110mm long, the seatpost is setback X far, and the seat height is X mm from the BB, and these user profiles could be selected at the press of a button, or via an App, then that would be a genuine advantage, ad step forward, and a useful exercise tool for the whole family potentially.

I am fortunate enough, or at least I chose a house with a garage, so have both a Neo setup in there for myself, with fans, a cheapo monitor, and a laptop I run with it, and my previous Vortex is also setup in there for my GF, with her winter bike currently bolted onto it.
    Cost of both turbos combined is circa £1100.

Granted, the above relies on you having the space, so not denying that is not always possible.
    Having said that, if you mesh them together intelligently, they don't have to take up that much space in the scheme of things.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • tmg
    tmg Posts: 651
    I am only looking for something that gets me through winter weeks, I will cycle weekends but want to keep active during the week, not a fan of cycling at night due to too many near misses.

Will do some more research on whether to go with Wahoo (I have a Bolt which will link seamlessly) or Tacx