Can a BBright BB that now houses a 24 mm Shimano crankset be changed to 30 mm in order to house a Qu

t0tte
t0tte Posts: 5
edited September 2019 in Workshop
Hi,

Recently bought a Cervélo S3 2019 Disc Ultegra Di2.

Read that BB30 was compatible with BBright, but didn't do my homework properly.

The Shimano spindle is 24 mm in diameter, while the BB30 is, well, 30...

Can the BBright BB be changed to one that'll accommodate my Quarq power meter crankset?

Cheers, /Martin

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    No. BB30 uses a shorter axle than is required for BBRight. You may be able to swap the crank arms for a GXP set and swap the spider part of the Quarq over though, and then change the BBRight to Shimano adaptor for a GXP one.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Yes. The preload adjuster on the Quarq BB30 powermeter is removable. Without it, the chainset fits BBRight with a wavy washer and the bearing dustcover on the left, and the dustcover and 11mm spacer on the right. You do, of course, need a BB30 BB in place of your 24mm Shimano BB, unless that was installed using push-in shims. Assuming the 2019 S3 still uses PF30, a replacement BB is about £35.

I have two BBRight Cervelos with Quarq powermeters hanging on the wall behind me, so I know whereof I speak.
  • 964Cup wrote:
    Yes. The preload adjuster on the Quarq BB30 powermeter is removable. Without it, the chainset fits BBRight with a wavy washer and the bearing dustcover on the left, and the dustcover and 11mm spacer on the right. You do, of course, need a BB30 BB in place of your 24mm Shimano BB, unless that was installed using push-in shims. Assuming the 2019 S3 still uses PF30, a replacement BB is about £35.

I have two BBRight Cervelos with Quarq powermeters hanging on the wall behind me, so I know whereof I speak.

Quality answer
  • 964Cup wrote:

Thanks a million. However, I don't know if the 24mm Shimano BB was installed using push-in shims, nor if the 2019 S3 still uses PF30.

Would pictures of my current BB help?

What BBs do you use on your Cervélos, and what models are they?
  • Post a pic. Its one of those things that is obvious when you know.
  • pauly69
    pauly69 Posts: 101
    I know from experience that Cervelo (2018) bikes had BBB botom brackets on their bikes when equipping with Shimano cranksets. That BBB bottom bracket is a press fit, screw together in the middle BB only suitable for Shimano cranksets (and possibly GXP with a shim on the 22mm side).

Personally, I chose to remove that BB entirely, and bought new wheels mfg one's which are also press fit / screw together in the middle - they do both BBRight/BB30 or BBRight/GXP version so you can use either the Quarq GXP or BB30 PM's.

Don't confuse the BB shell standard (BBRight) with the installed BB dimensions - essentially you can fit almost any crankset into a BBRight shell with the correct BB installed. Nominally, SRAM Red BB30 crankset doesn't have a long enough spindle for BBRight (but SRAM Force22 BB30 is long enough) - but as noted above, the Quarq BB30 has a longer spindle which will fit.

GXP is arguably more flexible as that can be fitted to more BB shell standards - you don't have to buy the Quarq BB30 for BBRight, either will work with the correct BB installed.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    T0TTE wrote:
    964Cup wrote:

Thanks a million. However, I don't know if the 24mm Shimano BB was installed using push-in shims, nor if the 2019 S3 still uses PF30.

Would pictures of my current BB help?

What BBs do you use on your Cervélos, and what models are they?

Yes, a pic would help.

I have a 2017 S3, with an FSA-badged ceramic PF30 BB, and a 2011 R5Ca which takes BB30 bearings directly; I'm using Enduro hybrid ceramics in that one. It might be worth adding that I have two other Cervelos (a 2012 S5 Team and a 2012 R5 VWD) both of which use boggo Sram PF30 BBs, currently about £35 from the usual web retailers; I can't say I've noticed any impact from the ceramic bearings apart from a smaller bank balance.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    964Cup wrote:

You learn something new every day.
  • Been in contact with C-Bear and ordered a new BB from them. I'll let you know how it goes.