Headset minefield

pedalbasher
pedalbasher Posts: 215
edited September 2019 in Workshop
I recently bought a titanium road frameset. It came with an Enve CX fork which is tapered 1 1/8 to 1 1/2 and obviously the headset (140mm) is tapered the same to accommodate that fork.

I want to switch the fork out for an Enve road fork, and I snapped up a deal on ebay earlier. In my haste I did not twig that the road fork is tapered 1 1/8 to 1 1/4. Yeah, schoolboy.

Am I right in thinking I'll be ok to use the road fork in the frameset provided I swap the crown race out for one of these crown race reducer devices - e.g. https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Lauf-Crown-Rac ... 215155.htm

If so, could someone point me to a suitable headset that will fit please? This is a special build so I am going to be pretentious and look at Chris King headsets if they are workable. In black :)

Finally, what do I need to know about angles? The crown reducer I linked above says it has an angle of 36 degrees. I'm not sure what this means / what it needs to be matched to.

Thanks very much.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    36 sounds like the inner race angle, so the new lower bearing will need to match. So the road frame had a CX fork fitted? Must have handled like a chopper...
  • Thanks. Is my understanding correct though; the crown race reducer just replaces the normal crown race that comes as part of the headset?

Yeah, CX fork, weird. It's an Alchemy Eros frameset, semi-customised and obviously the buyer had this odd request. It's especially odd because the rear tyre clearance is limited to 28, so going for a CX fork wouldn't really allow for proper cross
    if that's what they were thinking 'cos they'd still be stuck with a 28 rear. I'm changing the fork because I don't want to compromise on geometry or aesthetics for that matter!
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Yes, it should replace the existing crown race - which is why it will need to be compatible with whatever the inner race angle is on the new headset..