Rouvy Ramp Test

supermurph09
supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
Is this designed to give an FTP estimation or what is the best way to interpret the result?

Awaiting my replacement Wahoo BOLT so used phone tonight with Rouvy, interested to understand.

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    A ramp test is not an estimation. Its been calculated to assess your FTP from a more comfortable testing method that allows you to be able to train almost straight afterwards if you wished and to do the test more frequently without the pain of the standard 45 min test or 2 x 8 min test. A ramp test takes less time and is only painful in the last few minutes. Although you might hit the higher wattage steps, the FTP isn't the last step you managed to complete.

I did one a few days ago after a period of training that upped my FTP by a big %. Doing workouts since I'm absolutely chinstrapped afterwards, so I'm confident its accurate enough.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    What he said ^^

It's also easier as you don't need to worry about pacing as well, it's just go as hard as you need to.

I did one on zwift and found it was quite close to my 20min power, rather than my FTP but it gives you a good estimation of what to aim for during a proper 20min test.
  • OK that's great and was what I understood, but taking Trainer Roads ramp test for example, you do the test and they take 70% of your best 1 minute power, this actually correlated very well with my FTP.

My question was more about after the Rouvy test what calculation do you apply to give you an FTP number? TO be honest none of this matters too much as I know where my FTP is, it's just I don't have my BOLT right now so hopped on the test last night to give it a try.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    FWIW I actually prefer to do a 60 minute test :)

You're a sadist. :lol:
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.