Things That Make You Feel Old

Pross
Pross Posts: 40,217
edited September 2019 in The cake stop
Something I was thinking yesterday when my youngest was starting college - at the same age I was starting work and in an office with people who seemed really old yet in reality most of them were probably a similar age or younger than I am now. I then went into the office and realised I'm the oldest person in the company (it's a young company, I'm 46!).

I also thought recently that when I started school was closer to the 1930s than it is to today and the 1930s seems like ancient history.

I know we probably all find ourselves saying something like 'when I was a kid' occasionally and realising we sound like our parents but on the whole I suspect most people on here around my age probably don't feel remotely old. Are there any particular examples you've had of something recently making you realise that time has been creeping up on you?

Comments

• bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Remembering my Grandad's reminiscences of the Golden Jubilee celebrations. Queen Victoria's.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,510
    "Bit loud in here, isn't it?"
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Pross wrote:
    ...closer to the 1930s than it is to today ...
    I've always found this kind of thing interesting, and often surprising: and, obvs, it gets worse the older you get.

It has amazed (and slightly depressed) me for some time that I was born closer to the start of the first world war than the present.

Anyway, XKCD is of course your guide to this sort of thing:
    airplanes_and_spaceships.png

movie_ages.png

timeghost.png
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Why isn't this thread called "Seemingly trivial things that make you feel old"?

In my case, remakes of films that seem recent. And the fact that I cba to go to the annoy thread and post "remakes of films". Or remember if I actually have at some point. FFS.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,484
    bompington wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    I've always found this kind of thing interesting, and often surprising: and, obvs, it gets worse the older you get.

It has amazed (and slightly depressed) me for some time that I was born closer to the start of the first world war than the present.

movie_ages.png

timeghost.png

To get a real perspective on time have a look at this.

https://waitbutwhy.com/2013/08/putting- ... ctive.html

Time.png
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Talking to young footballers sometimes I try and use an example of a pro footballer - e.g. I want you to play a sort of Peter Beardsley role etc. And of course I may as well be asking them to play like Raich Carter or Dally Duncan. Even Shearer et al mean nothing to them other than a pundit on match of the day which they almost certainly don't watch anyway.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I remember Monsters Inc when it came out - and I was old watching that!

What makes me feel old? Someone at work says something that triggers the memory of a bit of music that was first released when I was younger but before they were born ...
  • Pross
    Another for me is that it has been longer since the end of the Falklands Conflict than it was from the end of WWII to the start of that.

Oh, and early next year I'll have been married longer than I was single!
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    The "kids" in the office are literally young enough to be your own

The videos where modern children are given a a record player and an LP or a walkman an cassette and the cringe worthy attempts at trying to work out what they are.

Floppy disks are refereed to as 3D save buttons, usually with OMG thrown in and a 5.25" just melts there minds.

Explaining research in a pre internet world

Toy Story
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,161
    bompington wrote:
    movie_ages.png
    I think I'll use that on some of the younger members of my department at work :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Not dates. But the aches and pains that take ages to deminish after decorating or gardening..... Or perhaps my body is just knackered.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry wrote:

If anything that makes me feel young...I'm just shocked that Brexit isn't on there :P
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Pross
    edited September 2019
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    movie_ages.png
    I think I'll use that on some of the younger members of my department at work :)

Lion King, over 17 years ago (in 2011). It feels like only a few weeks since the premier!

I guess I should add films being remade that you remember coming out first time around.
  • The Second Summer of Love was 30 years ago. What a time we had.
  • 25th anniversary of the release of Definitely Maybe.
  • Stevo_666
    Pross wrote:
    Lion King, over 17 years ago (in 2011). It feels like only a few weeks since the premier!

I guess I should add films being remade that you remember coming out first time around.
    Lion King feels ancient to me as I've cycled past the Lyceum theatre on my commute to work for a long time where the play has been running for yonks.

As for remakes/sequels - hard to believe that the original 'Alien' film came out 40 years ago...and yes I remember it first time around.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,484
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

If anything that makes me feel young...I'm just shocked that Brexit isn't on there :P

I particularly like the chart which shows "Time until we're f***ed"
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    It’s coming up to forty years since the release of Quadrophenia, which is the film that has had the biggest cultural influence on my life
    Forty years before Quadrophenia was the outbreak of World War 2!
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

I particularly like the chart which shows "Time until we're f***ed"
    So Brexit is in there? Silly me :lol:
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    My back. The age of my kids, one turns 21 this month, the other will be 18 in December.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,410
    Prostitutes....

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• Stevo_666
    PhotoNic69 wrote:
    Prostitutes....
    Care to expand on that one? :)
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Looking in the mirror and seeing my dad.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    rjsterry wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    Pross wrote:

movie_ages.png

timeghost.png

Time.png

I am that old that I don't have time to read all that ,never mind write it!
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    Young women. As in, realising I’m too old at 43.
  • herb71
    herb71 Posts: 253
    People entering the workplace that were not alive in the 20th century!
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    Nieces and nephews starting school, I still remember starting high school myself and wondering what was going on :lol:
    40 next year.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    short answer... everything :lol:
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,595
    People thinking they are old at 40.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    PBlakeney wrote:
    People thinking they are old at 40.

For me, I took the thread as how time flies :lol: