Poynton to Manchester Central - Route Help!

21stCenturyBob
21stCenturyBob Posts: 3
edited September 2019 in Commuting general
Hi all,

I've recently moved to Poynton and hoping to cycle to work in central Manchester frequently (i'll be working near jnc of Oxford Rd and Portland Street).

Any advice re route would be very welcome, at the Manchester end the mapping shows segregated route along Oxford Rd southwards, before meeting an east-west traffic free path between Fallowfield and Burnage. but that gets you to the A6 and still need to go through Stockport, Hazel Grove, etc.

Is the A6 route the best way to get north of Stockport and into Manchester, or would it be better to go via Woodford, Cheadle etc. either way, whats the best route?! (Happy with Road cycling generally, but would prefer not to be on dual carriageways etc.)

Any advice much appreciated!

(appreciate there is a similar board from a few years ago, but imagine there is more upto data info with changes in infrastructure since.)

thanks,

Comments

• wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Can't give you any personal advice unfortunately, but the Greater Manchester Cycle Campaign (https://www.gmcc.org.uk/) might be able to help?
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    A6 is the road of death to me. It's just busy. Fallowfield Loop sometimes has villains lurking about and a couple of crashing points due to mud/water etc acc to someone I know who uses it and has crashed. You just need to take it easy and accept the traffic. The loop is another 3 miles acc to Google Maps
  • Thanks both, I'll take a look at the GMCC!