Socks

smudgerii
smudgerii Posts: 125
edited September 2019 in Road beginners
This is going to sound weird...

I can't stand wearing socks as my feet and calfs are always hot, but with my cycling shoes I've had to resort to trainer socks. I see so many out and about with long compression socks, but what are the benefits? Has anyone seen any compression trainer socks?

Must add I think long socks look ridiculous but if there are big benefits I may have to accept wearing them :cry:

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Compression 'trainer' socks are a bit of a contradiction. A sock which only comes up to below your ankle is not going to be very good at compressing your calves...
  • Compression socks are worn to prevent calf injury usually, a mate wears them all the time when cycling. Personally I think they look gimpish but if that's the only way you can cycle then so be it. Lots of sock snobbery in cycling for some weird reason, I just wear regular socks and if it's hot weather then trainer socks. Basically wear what's comfortable for YOU and ignore everything else.

For Gods sake don't get caught up in "The Rules" shite...
  • smudgerii
    Imposter wrote:
    Compression 'trainer' socks are a bit of a contradiction. A sock which only comes up to below your ankle is not going to be very good at compressing your calves...

So compression is only needed on calves? Good to know, thanks.
  • smudgerii
    Compression socks are worn to prevent calf injury usually, a mate wears them all the time when cycling. Personally I think they look gimpish but if that's the only way you can cycle then so be it. Lots of sock snobbery in cycling for some weird reason, I just wear regular socks and if it's hot weather then trainer socks. Basically wear what's comfortable for YOU and ignore everything else.

For Gods sake don't get caught up in "The Rules" shite...

Not known for following rules... probably why I’m always getting a B****cking
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,510
    Smudgerii wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

So compression is only needed on calves? Good to know, thanks.
    In respect of increasing venous return the benchmark evidence for this is by Sigel, his study is based on compression from ankle to thigh. The majority of "evidence" for anything other than ankle to thigh compression is based on extrapolation from the original study and is unlikely to be randomised, peer reviewed or statistically robust.
    Taking something that works in a clinical setting and positing that it is effective for athletes is a subject for a lot of speculation.
  • I wore compression socks during training for and running a marathon and had no injuries once I started with them.

On a bike, I've never needed them.

Google "sock doping"
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I think compression socks on cyclists is more likely to be triathletes who will buy literally anything.

I can't say I've seen a club cyclist wearing compression socks ?

Wear whatever you want though.
  • Fenix wrote:
    I think compression socks on cyclists is more likely to be triathletes who will buy literally anything.

I can't say I've seen a club cyclist wearing compression socks ?

Wear whatever you want though.

I am a triathlete, and this is true.

As for not wearing socks, then don't wear any if you feel better without - but (staying on the tri theme) cycling shoes made specifically for triathlon tend to be 'kinder' on bare skin as a lot of triathletes go without socks for both the bike and the run. I have tried this but I hate not wearing socks, so compromise my transition times for comfort.

If you do want compression on the bike without socks, then you can get specific calf 'guards' which are essentially compression socks without the foot bit. As has been said above though, I think compression for cycling is unnecessary - maybe for running perhaps - i have worn them for running and quite like them, but not sure if it's a placebo effect or an actual physiological benefit.