Thread To Tell Everyone What Fettling You've Just Done

Comments

• lemonenema
    lemonenema Posts: 216
    itboffin wrote:
    two more very short rides around the block and I think i've fixed the dreadful screaming superstar wheel noise, why havent more people suffered this?

Glad you sorted it, so you think it was the freehub pawls that were under lubricated? Id still be leaning towards the seal, you may well have lubricated one of the seals in the process too, either way, more lube guvnah!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    i cant be the only one who has to set my cleats mm perfect or i suffer pain, everytime i have to change cleats or worse new shoes its months of micro adjusting and uncomfortable rides.

My new bont riots are a great fit for my plate wide feet but i swear the bolt holes are much further back than any other shoes i've owned.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    New BBR60 bottom bracket and front pads for the commute bike. Hopefully it's the BB that's clicking in the same spot on every revolution which isn't surprising as it was fitted to the bike back in April last year 6500 miles back.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • itboffin
    Really cleaned my chain like twice in the white spirits and once spray chain cleaner and also picked in between every link split, wow its clean and even without any lube silent as an assassin, i have added a new coating of dry lube anyway.

I also picked the congealed gunk off the chainrings and jockey wheels then proceeded to walk said gunk into the house all over the carpet, good job the carpet is a very light sandy colour :?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    Replaced the 50/24 chainrings with 52/36 and discovered why there was previously lateral chain wobble in the highest gears, that'll but the barely tight chainring bolts then !?!?!

Adjusted the front indexing and derailleur height and turned the B screw in/out/in and then out no idea if it made any difference finally having left the old chain on for now I must remember do NOT big big ring.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Adjusted saddle angle and threadlocked the rear most of the two clamp bolts.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • itboffin
    well the 52/36T combo is very sweet, grinding out on the big ring and a nice step down when the hills flare up. Just set a few PB both into and with the wind.
  • lemonenema
    cleaned and bled my 2nd bike brakes as I reaslied one piston in each had seized, not a problem ive done this before. All working again nicely and new pads in, lovely.

Then I realise I put mineral oil in what had previously had dot 4......
    I know that using dot 4 in mineral oil brakes (shimano) will kill the seals and stop the brakes from working, but what about the other way around, have I made a big boob or will it be ok with mineral oil?
  • greenamex2
    greenamex2 Posts: 272
    Replaced bearings on the work bike...for the second time.

Used some ebay bearing presses from bearingprotools.com. Highly recommended, especially if you need weird over axle presses with odd size bearings etc.

Lesson learnt. Get the right tool for the job, cheaper in the long run. Especially when fitting expensive bearings in expensive hubs.
  • itboffin
    swapped out an Apex crankset for a 105 to match the rest of the groupset, old BB was shot to bits and the BB shell full of muddy rust, one of the joys of steel.

Rearranged the mancave for better access and wall mounted an LED work lamp as an uplighter, started painting the door white to help bright it up, now to source a much bigger fan.
  • itboffin
    Schoolboy error today, i took out the upgraded bike for a gentle spin and noticed a ticking on every pedal stroke, so i removed the crankset and tightened the BB only to discover when putting it all back together that the rusted brake cable and stiff outer was the source.
  • greenamex2
    Replaced my valve cores after suffering a "flat" at the weekend.

As both front and rear were leaking, wondering whether this is tubeless related.
  • lemonenema
    did it work?
  • greenamex2
    lemonenema wrote:
    did it work?

Yep, still rock hard after two days. Looking good for my first 55 mile commute to work.
  • itboffin
    MASSHOOF mancave upgrade today, new 18" fan and old 42" TV now rigged up, i need a swing arm wall mount for the other LCD screen so i can swap between big screen and MASSSSSHOOOOOF screen, goes very nicely with the 80W speakers & sub setup, in fact i might put a sofa in there and just move in.
  • itboffin
    went out for a ickle post holiday ride on the Scott, turns out a diet of pasties and ale is not great for fitness, anyway my chain kept lifting in the rear 4 or 5 sprocket, I know the cassette and chainrings arent old or worn and my rear hanger is straight as an arrow, turns out my chain is completely stretched at 0.75 and almost 1

Which makes me wonder have i ever changed that chain since i built the bike in 2012 :shock:

I can't remember doing so but surely i must have?!? :?
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    ^ Got my Westbrook's CR1 SL frameset in 2013, but have barely done anything to it since building it up. I have changed the chain once, and:
    Swapped the FSA wing pro's for some 3T Ernova carbon bars 4 mths ago, which also necesitated it's first cable change. Figured it'd been so long also treated it to new outers too, then new bar tape, lucky thing. :wink:
    May have swapped the seat post too at some point...

Last week I "upgraded" the fork steerer expansion bung, as after trying to simply lower the bars 2.5 or 5mm (can't remember which) i found tbe original stuck fast, and stopped me from taking the spacer off:
    viewtopic.php?t=13107236
    New bung now safely installed, and front end rock solid again. I think my moto might be "if it ain't broke...", or "I can break anything just by looking at it"! :roll:

Still think it's a brilliant bike....
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • itboffin
    It really is in fact I think that's mostly why I don't ride my R5, mind you the CAAD12 is a piece of work as well, it feels like a stream train
  • Re-organised the man cave by getting rid of non-man stuff, and through procurement of a load of hangers.

Each bike, including the beastly cargo trike can now be got out without having to move anything else, and spare wheelsets/tyres are now directly above each bike flat against the ceiling.

Noted that 4 weeks of riding the new bike have resulted in a rub spot on the frame, taking the matt effect off and making it all shiny. Need to get that sorted through frame protectors before it gets worse.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Each bike, including the beastly cargo trike can now be got out without having to move anything else
    I did that a few years ago, and whilst it may seem like a great idea at the time, it itsn't. What you don't realise is that having to move 5 bikes to get at the one you actually want acts as a disincentive to buying more bikes, because it'll make the problem worse. Without that disincentive, you're just going to end up filling the space with more bikes, which you'll then have to move to get at the ones on the hangers...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • TGOTB wrote:
    Each bike, including the beastly cargo trike can now be got out without having to move anything else
    I did that a few years ago, and whilst it may seem like a great idea at the time, it itsn't. What you don't realise is that having to move 5 bikes to get at the one you actually want acts as a disincentive to buying more bikes, because it'll make the problem worse. Without that disincentive, you're just going to end up filling the space with more bikes, which you'll then have to move to get at the ones on the hangers...

More reason to N+1? I don't see a problem :)

I've already got 11 bikes in the garage; 4 of mine, 4 kid bikes, 2 wifes, and the cargo trike. The kids have previously knocked my bikes over trying to get to theirs, something that I had to stop. I've actually put in physical barriers and painted areas for their bikes and mine, the workshop are etc - I've got to squeeze this into a half garage.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • The replacement spikes and tool for the marathon winters turned up; I thought getting the tyres on the bike to start with was hard enough...
    7 down, 8 to go.
  • Still both in WIP, but was volunteered to fettle bikes for some friends. Apparently they were "ok, just needed a bit of adjustment" to gears etc. One is a nice vintage MTB, the other a ladies mixte frame townie.

Both needed a complete strip and clean, mainly to get rid of the bird poo. New BB's, new chains, new brake cables and blocks, replaced gear outers in some cases, wheel bearings repacked, rims trued up, headsets stripped out and rebuilt, tyres, tubes...

Never again!!
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • itboffin
    changed out stretched chain and took the op to make it a link longer for the 52/30 combo, now for a test ride
  • xbnm
    xbnm Posts: 116
    The replacement spikes and tool for the marathon winters turned up; I thought getting the tyres on the bike to start with was hard enough...
    7 down, 8 to go.

I found a small pair of needle nose pliers and a small screwdriver much more effective than there own tool.
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    After yesterday's puncture on tyres with about 4500 km, finally swapped the old Michelin Pro4 Endurance v2 for brand new conti GP4S. I would have gotten the all-weather Hutchinson Fusion 5 or Pirelli P-zero 4S had these been available where I intend to buy wheels on the cycle to work scheme, but oh well.

Somehow, the measurebator in me is concerned about the 5-10 W I'm going to lose on rolling resistance, while I try to console myself with the extra grip and puncture protection during the "winter" (i.e. september to may).
  • itboffin
    Getting my track bike ready for Hillingdon track laps, most satisfying afternoon spent fitting tan wall tyres and a 16T single speed cog, after lunch i think i'll drill some holes in it and regrease
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    itboffin wrote:
    Getting my track bike ready for Hillingdon track laps, most satisfying afternoon spent fitting tan wall tyres and a 16T single speed cog, after lunch i think i'll drill some holes in it and regrease

Am I presuming that your neck is okay and that you are doing alright?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • itboffin
    Pinno wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Am I presuming that your neck is okay and that you are doing alright?

mostly yes
  • itboffin
    Whacked my head hard whilst fettling on Sunday so stopped and went and had dinner then watched tv and went to bed early, once i arrived at work this morning i realise i might have mild concussion, which is a worry because i drove to work

a fettling helmet perhaps?