Wrapping rice cakes

naavt
naavt Posts: 226
edited September 2019 in Road general
Tried to make my own fuel today for the first time and things went very well. Made some rice cakes.

When I finished cooking them yesterday night I confess that I was afraid they ended up unpalatable but no. Not only they ended up almost like sushi (whish I like), they also were a great help on my 200 kms group ride today, so that’s a keeper!

Only downside is wrapping them. It seems that every rice cake recipe tells to wrap them in food aluminium foil, but I’ve found it to be a mess. It “glues” to the rice making it difficult to unwrap and trying to do so I’ve ended to tear the aluminium foil all over, exposing some of the cake making it a pain to put leftovers in the jersey pockets again.

So... Does anyone uses other methods to wrap their rice cakes?

Comments

• https://youtu.be/0MFm1iSlP8c - fast forward to 12:30min or so - parchment lined foil not standard foil
  • naavt
    https://youtu.be/0MFm1iSlP8c - fast forward to 12:30min or so - parchment lined foil not standard foil

Great tip. Thanks a lot
  • I don’t make rice cakes. Mine are based on porridge oats.
    However I do use rice paper to hold the mass together. This may help you.
  • Would be great to get recipes added...
  • I’ll second the foil lined parchment paper. I got some great stuff from Lakeland the holds up brilliantly.

A tip for making rice based blocks is to really compress the mixture in the shallow baking tin. REALLY compress it. Put a sheet of greaseproof paper over the mixture, then a baking tin on top, press down hard and then leave a heavy weight on top in the fridge overnight.
  • naavt
    Thanks all for your tips.

Yesterday I've bought some parchment lined foil and even if I've not tried it yet it really is different from regular aluminium foil so I believe it will work well.
    Would be great to get recipes added...

Is there any topic on the forum where members share these kind of info?
  • training/fitness/health may be a good fit for a sticky thread?

#food
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • tonysj
    tonysj Posts: 391
    Would be great to get recipes added...
    I'd second that.
    Tried a rice, scrambled egg and bacon recipe once. They fell apart when unwrapped and I could have done with chop sticks was more like egg fried rice from the takeaway lol.
  • No idea if they would work well with rice cakes as a re-useable item, but something my better half got a while ago were some sort of "beeswax wraps."
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • At the risk of stating the bleedin' obvious - would greasing the foil with oil not cure the problem. I suppose it would need to be an oil with as little taste as possible as not to ruin the taste of the rice cakes (rapeseed oil?).
  • naavt
    Tried the parchment foil this last weekend. It worked great!
    training/fitness/health may be a good fit for a sticky thread?

#food

About the "training/fitness/health may be a good fit for a sticky thread?" Matthewfalle suggests, how can we propose it to moderators?