La Vuelta 2019, Stage 7: Onda > Mas de la Costa 30/08/2019 - 183,2 km *Spoilers*

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
edited September 2019 in Pro race
La Vuelta 2019, Stage 7: Onda > Mas de la Costa 30/08/2019 - 183,2 km

F. ESCARTÍN'S COMMENT
The first 80 km hug the coastline passing over flat terrain. The second part heads inland in the province of Castellón with two 2nd category climbs and another two 3rd category mountain passes before the finish at the extremely challenging Mas de la Costa, which will test the overall favourites, who will need to keep an eye on the rivals if they don’t want to lose time.

2c72b

La Vuelta's 7th stage pretends to be a sprint stage in the first half. Then the route turns inland to tackle four intermediate climbs and an extremely challenging uphill finish. It travels over five mountains from Onda to Mas de la Costa. The distance is 183.2 kilometres and the last climb is a monster with ramps at 21%.

c2e4c

Following a virtually flat section of 80 kilometres the climbs are lined-up in the second half of the race. At kilometre 93.7 the riders crest the Puerto de Marianet (3.7 kilometres at 5.5%)

vuelta-a-espana-2019-stage-7-climb-df7d55c1e6.jpg

Then they tackle the Puerto de Eslida (6 kilometres at 4.5%) and Puerto de Alcuda de Veo (4.2 kilometres at 4.4%). This is just warm-up material: 116 kilometres done, almost 70 kilometres remaining.

vuelta-a-espana-2019-stage-7-climb-n2-b19958b86b.jpg
vuelta-a-espana-2019-stage-7-climb-n3-e25f1207c7.jpg

After 130 kilometres the riders are back where the 7th stage started – in Onda – before continuing on rolling roads to the foot of the Puerto del Salto del Caballo, where the fight for the stage win is expected to ignite. The Salto del Caballo, which is also called Mas del Moro, is an ascent of 10.4 kilometres long, while the average gradient sits at 4.6%. Containing three downhill sections in the second half, the climb also features a number of stretches at 11%.

vuelta-a-espana-2019-stage-7-climb-n6-79ad17a8e4.jpg

The riders crest the Salto del Caballo with 22 kilometres left to race. The descent is broken up into two sections by an uphill kick halfway, and eventually the punchers can go all out on the Mas de la Costa. The final climb is a Wall of 4.1 kilometres long with an average gradient of 12.3% and ramps up to 22.5%.

bfe51

MAS%2BDE%2BLA%2BCOSTA.png

Three years ago, Mathias Frank brought the early break home on this finishing Wall, while the top 4 on GC – Nairo Quintana, Chris Froome, Esteban Chaves, Alberto Contador – just looked at each other.

3712962?w=1600&preview=1473265433322.jpg

Let’s hope for a different scenario to unroll this time. The route of this year’s Mas de la Costa stage is much more trying, so we should expect the GC guys to go head-to-head.

Video of 2016 ascent.
https://youtu.be/GObHD49fKj8

Favourites 7th stage 2019 Vuelta a España

The route lends itself for the attackers to open up a substantial gap. If De Gendt is up the road with a few breakaway artists, it wouldn’t be too far-fetched to think that they will tackle the last climbs with a comfortable lead. On the other hand, it isn’t far-fetched either to suppose that a lot of GC riders are eager to put pressure on their rivals with the aim of winning the stage and gaining time bonuses.

*** Primoz Roglic, Alejandro Valverde, Wout Poels
** Miguel Ángel López, Esteban Chaves, Nairo Quintana
* Daniel Felipe Martínez, Fabio Aru, Dylan Teuns, Tadej Pogacar

Onda
Unprecedented departure

24,087 inhabitants
Onda is famous for its Muslim past. The city enjoyed its moment of greatest splendour when this culture prevailed, and the place still preserves a large part of its heritage from those days in its streets and people. Moreover, Onda has its own cycling history, linked to the Cabedo brothers, who were born in this little town in the province of Castellon. The elder brother, Víctor, sadly passed away in 2012 while training, and the younger, Óscar, took part in La Vuelta 18 as part of the Burgos BH team.

fed6f

Seafood by the port in Peñiscola

Puerto-Mar-restaurant-in-Peniscola-Castellon-Spain-Photo-Heatheronhertravels.com_.jpg

Artizan food in Morella (on today's route)

Guimera-shop-in-Morella-selling-local-produce-Photo-Heatheronhertravels.com_.jpg

Guimera-shop-in-Morella-selling-local-produce-Photo-Heatheronhertravels.com_-2.jpg

Mas de la Costa
1 stage of La Vuelta have had finale in Mas de la Costa

1,331 inhabitants

Castellón Province

Mas de la Costa is not called this way because it’s near the sea, as it is over 30 kilometers inland, but instead because of its extremely steep slopes. This daunting finale first featured in La Vuelta 16, as one of the highlights of the race’s final week. The winner of the stage that year was Mathias Frank, from Switzerland, who was part of the former IAM Cycling team, recording what was to be the Swiss team’s last victory prior to its disbanding.

IMG_0159.JPG

img_20170822_100158_429.jpg?w=1536

Food at the local restaurant Baudilio Asador.

26738_g.JPG

asador-restaurante-baudilio.jpg
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,222
    Bloody ell
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,917
    That finish looks 'orrible.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,464
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    That finish looks 'orrible.

It looks like summat in Yorkshire
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Hammering along at 50kph and still no break. 2 days ago almost anybody could have walked into the break.
    I am coming to the conclusion that the average pro cyclist is an idiot.

Tejay Van Garderen (EF Education First) is the 9th rider to leave La Vuelta 19
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    Breaks are boring... Lets have a breakless day!
    Half man, Half bike
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,732
    I suppose if Quintana can't do well here he probably isn't going to .
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • 66kms to get the break sorted:
    Jelle Wallays (Lotto Soudal), Philippe Gilbert (Deceuninck-Quick Step), Sergio Henao (UAE Team Emirates), Stéphane Rossetto (Cofidis), Quentin Jauregui (AG2R La Mondiale), Gianluca Brambilla (Trek-Segafredo), Michael Storer (Mitchelton-Scott) and Sebastian Henao (Team Ineos) Cyril Barthe (Euskadi-Murias) and Tomasz Marczynski (Lotto Soudal)

Just 88kms left.
  • Formolo joins Tejay as one of today's abandons.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,472
    Knox crashed out, no idea how.
  • Pross
    Madrazo had a puncture at a bad time and I think half his team crashed well trying to pace him back from what I can make of the commentary.
  • Pross wrote:
    Knox crashed out, no idea how.

I think the original caption was wrong. Quickly changed to crashed, which is what's on the live race centre atm.
  • Jauregui was complaining there was a party going on outside the hotel room after midnight !
  • Stephane Rossetto. I bet he was born in a break :D
  • Race leader Dylan Teuns hits the wall 20kms before the actual wall. :P
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,002
    Race leader Dylan Teuns hits the wall 20kms before the actual wall. :P

:D

Peleton going to be in pieces by the end of this.
  • Another day, another EF crash.
    Sergio Higuita down yet again.
  • Pross
    Valverde wins stage designed for Valverde to win but Roglic held onto him well. Lopez and Quintana lose a few seconds.
  • OMG
  • Another gradient too far. All about going out the back, rather than attacking off the front.

1 ALEJANDRO VALVERDE 1 MOVISTAR TEAM 04h 34' 11'' - B : 10'' -
    2 PRIMOŽ ROGLIC 131 TEAM JUMBO - VISMA 04h 34' 11'' - B : 6'' -
    3 MIGUEL ANGEL LOPEZ MORENO 21 ASTANA PRO TEAM 04h 34' 17'' + 00h 00' 06'' B : 4'' -
    4 NAIRO QUINTANA 7 MOVISTAR TEAM 04h 34' 17'' + 00h 00' 06'' - -
    5 RAFAL MAJKA 41 BORA - HANSGROHE 04h 34' 53'' + 00h 00' 42'' - -
    6 ION IZAGUIRRE INSAUSTI 27 ASTANA PRO TEAM 04h 34' 59'' + 00h 00' 48'' - -
    7 TADEJ POGACAR 177 UAE TEAM EMIRATES 04h 35' 02'' + 00h 00' 51'' - -
    8 FABIO ARU 171 UAE TEAM EMIRATES 04h 35' 02'' + 00h 00' 51'' - -
    9 GEORGE BENNETT 132 TEAM JUMBO - VISMA 04h 35' 18'' + 00h 01' 07'' - -
    10 OSCAR RODRIGUEZ GARAICOECHEA 211 EUSKADI BASQUE COUNTRY - MURIAS 04h 35' 31'' + 00h 01' 20'' -

GC:

1 MIGUEL ANGEL LOPEZ MORENO 21 ASTANA PRO TEAM 28h 19' 13'' - B : 4'' -
    2 PRIMOŽ ROGLIC 131 TEAM JUMBO - VISMA 28h 19' 19'' + 00h 00' 06'' B : 12'' -
    3 ALEJANDRO VALVERDE 1 MOVISTAR TEAM 28h 19' 29'' + 00h 00' 16'' B : 10'' -
    4 NAIRO QUINTANA 7 MOVISTAR TEAM 28h 19' 40'' + 00h 00' 27'' B : 10'' -
    5 RAFAL MAJKA 41 BORA - HANSGROHE 28h 21' 11'' + 00h 01' 58'' - -
    6 TADEJ POGACAR 177 UAE TEAM EMIRATES 28h 21' 49'' + 00h 02' 36'' - -
    7 JHOAN ESTEBAN CHAVES RUBIO 101 MITCHELTON - SCOTT 28h 22' 05'' + 00h 02' 52'' - -
    8 GEORGE BENNETT 132 TEAM JUMBO - VISMA 28h 22' 47'' + 00h 03' 34'' - -
    9 WILCO KELDERMAN 151 TEAM SUNWEB 28h 22' 49'' + 00h 03' 36'' - -
    10 FABIO ARU 171 UAE TEAM EMIRATES 28h 22' 49'' + 00h 03' 36''
  • Plenty of races of attrition
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    So do these silly gradients, especially early in a GT, actually add anything to the race then?
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,002
    I don’t see the problem - Most of the favorites are still in contention.
    I see the super steep climbs as a balance to TTs for the little guys. Roglic managing fine on both.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,917
    Personally I think the Mickey Mouse climbs add nothing. They're survival and don't allow anyone to attack. More often than not the main contenders just watch each other.
  • Never mind that, unless I was mistaken today we saw something extremely rare in pro cycling - a pair of Movistar riders actually working together.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,801
    Quintana rode that really well for valverde . Took his foot of the gas when he had too.... Still on it.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    Never mind that, unless I was mistaken today we saw something extremely rare in pro cycling - a pair of Movistar riders actually working together.

You have just got to be joking!
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    Definite signs of teamwork. Maybe to keep lead in the team competition!
  • hypster
    BM5 wrote:
    Definite signs of teamwork. Maybe to keep lead in the team competition!

Teamwork? What like Quintana attacking multiple times trying to drop Valverde and then Valverde leaving it to the last 150 metres to humiliate his team leader. Yeah, the old 1-2, that really caught the rest out.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,339
    Valverde explicitly thanked Quintana for his efforts and help after the stage.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • hypster
    M.R.M. wrote:
    Valverde explicitly thanked Quintana for his efforts and help after the stage.

LOL!

Valverde: "Gracias Nairo for pacing me up the mountain for the win"
    Quintana: "De nada Alejandro. When is it my turn that you have been promising me for the last five years?"
    Valverde: "Pronto Nairo, pronto"