Boardman Team Comp - winter project

bsharp77
bsharp77 Posts: 533
edited October 2019 in Your road bikes
Hi everyone,

My old Boardman Team Comp has been sitting gathering dust for a few years, so i've decided to give it a bit of love and use it as my second bike.
As a project for a bit of fun, i've decided to strip it down and try and paint it with a chameleon finish (blue/green/purple).

This thread will document my progress as I muddle my way through to what will hopefully be a successful outcome!!
I should point out I have no experience of this sort of tinkering, so it will be a voyage of discovery.....

Heres the bike as it was originally:

IMG-2811.jpg

Comments

• bsharp77
    First up was a coat of paint stripper to get the bulk of the paint off.
    It bubbled up quite well and I used a scraper to get it off.

IMG-2816.jpg

IMG-2817.jpg
  • bsharp77
    Now moved on to a combination of a sanding flap disc on a drill, plus some wet and dry to try and get all the paint removed and a nice smooth finish.
    I only have around 20 mins a day to spend on it, I'm not in a rush so hopefully will have the whole frame ready for undercoating by the middle of next week.

The fork is carbon, so will take longer to carefully sand it down so as not to damage it.
    Currently wondering whether to do a different colour (or maybe just less coats of chameleon) on the fork to make it stand out a bit more?!

I have seen I can get the original style boardman graphics on eBay, so will get them sourced next week - probably in black so that they are nice and understated. Will apply after the chameleon paint and before lacquering for a nice finish.

Main problem I have now is the BB appears to be seized solid - currently dousing with releasing oil and leaving overnight in the hope that it will help.

IMG-2969.jpg
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    The shape of those tubes. So so lovely. Even the metal ones look like they're made of carbon once painted.

Can't work out whether white or black decals, but don't be afraid to make them stand out as it could look a bit weird if very 'paint heavy'.

I think the forks would look ace just left black, to be honest.
  • bsharp77
    The shape of those tubes. So so lovely. Even the metal ones look like they're made of carbon once painted.

Can't work out whether white or black decals, but don't be afraid to make them stand out as it could look a bit weird if very 'paint heavy'.

I think the forks would look ace just left black, to be honest.

Yeah, I'm thinking black for the forks myself, but might use a pearl black or something just to tie it in better with the chameleon paint on the main frame.

Just had a thought on the decals - I have checked and can get mirror finish silver decals in the old boardman style.
    I think this might be the perfect solution - as black really wouldn't stand out at all and white might be too in your face.
    The silver mirror finish "should" work well with the fancy paint.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    thats gonna rock - top work that man.

keep us updated deffo.

100% agree re tube shapes.

big phat deep rims I presume?

if leaving forks black, I'd go black decals, seat post, stem, etc to tie it all in.

what groupset?

#somuchpotential
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • bsharp77
    thats gonna rock - top work that man.

keep us updated deffo.

100% agree re tube shapes.

big phat deep rims I presume?

if leaving forks black, I'd go black decals, seat post, stem, etc to tie it all in.

what groupset?

#somuchpotential

Cheers - really hoping to do it justice.
    Yes, if doing the fork pearl black, ill do the stem and seat post to match definitely.
    Bar tape and saddle also black in order to let the frame do all the talking!

Groupset wise, I have the option of putting the 10spd SRAM Apex back on there - its a faultless grouspet and I really love SRAM. However, I will have a spare 6800 ultegra grouspet coming off the Tarmac next month as i've managed to get SRAM Red for it....so will be tempting to put it on there. I'll maybe wait and see how good....or bad a job I make of the frame first :lol::lol:

Decals I'm still not 100% decided on - I thought the silver mirror finish might work well with the chameleon paint...however black was always my first choice. Im just afraid of them being totally lost - if I could somehow paint the decals with the black pearl finish of the forks then we would be in business as the pearl fleck would help them stand out more.
  • bsharp77
    Something like a set of Fulcrum Quattros would finish it off nicely when the time comes....although i'll have to see how funds are. The original CXP22s are a very dead feeling wheel, so definitely would like to do something wheel wise to finish the build and give the ride a bit of zip.
  • Matthewfalle
    nah - deep rims will compact the look and bring out the bling frame. shallow rims will just look like something from the 1980s a clubbie audax rider would use.

its all about minimising the space around it to bring out the bling. look at my S3 and them compare to a normal one with shallows. Shallows look shyyyte and people will laugh at you, your other half will leave you, your family will disown you and you'll end up lonely, sad, homeless with a cr3pp drug habit just because of a set of wheels.

#blingswag

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    re groupset - sell the Ultegra and buy a Foce groupset. Ultegra is too bland for the sweeet ride this is gping to be.

plus Force is black so will exponentiate the bling.

#swagbling

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • bsharp77
    nah - deep rims will compact the look and bring out the bling frame. shallow rims will just look like something from the 1980s a clubbie audax rider would use.

its all about minimising the space around it to bring out the bling. look at my S3 and them compare to a normal one with shallows. Shallows look shyyyte and people will laugh at you, your other half will leave you, your family will disown you and you'll end up lonely, sad, homeless with a cr3pp drug habit just because of a set of wheels.

#blingswag

:lol::lol::lol:
    They already laugh and disown me anyway when I talk about bikes :P

I think the sweet spot is a set of 32mm wheels - perfect all rounders.
    We'll see what happens when the frame is done, if it turns out half as nice as I want it to, it really will need a nice set of wheels to finish the build, however funds might mean I have to wait. I do have a chinese set of 50mm I can put on there just to keep you happy in the meantime :D

In better news, been talking to a really helpful decals guy today who can get some black mirror oil slick effect vinyl - sounds fantastic and should work perfect for the frame.
  • Matthewfalle
    bsharp77 wrote:

#blingswag

:lol::lol::lol:
    They already laugh and disown me anyway when I talk about bikes :P

I think the sweet spot is a set of 32mm wheels - perfect all rounders.
    We'll see what happens when the frame is done, if it turns out half as nice as I want it to, it really will need a nice set of wheels to finish the build, however funds might mean I have to wait. I do have a chinese set of 50mm I can put on there just to keep you happy in the meantime :D

In better news, been talking to a really helpful decals guy today who can get some black mirror oil slick effect vinyl - sounds fantastic and should work perfect for the frame.

these stickers sound perfect. he isn't part of THAT decals thread is he?

50s should rock. go big or go home. Boonen never rode 32s, and neither did the lead singer from Whitesnake, so why should you?

#wheelmassif

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Bit of an update....frame has been given 3 coats of high build black etch primer and lightly wet sanded.
    Left it for a few days and have just finished 2 coats of the colour flip spray, which I think is looking really great (well for my limited skill set at least).

Needs a wet sand now and then waiting on some decals coming next week before lacquering.
    Just seen a sample of the decal material - oil slick black, which I hope will work really well against the paint.

Fork still to be sanded and painted. Trying to decide between a black metallic finish, or just paint it the same as the frame....

primed.jpg

sprayed.jpg
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    That looks really good!

Fork wise I'd black prime it then offer it up and see what you think.
  • Step83 wrote:
    That looks really good!

Fork wise I'd black prime it then offer it up and see what you think.

Cheers Step, yes I think that sounds like the best course of action. Will get the fork sanded and primed over the next day or two, time allowing. Seeing the primed fork actually next to the frame will hopefully make the colour choice a lot easier.

Decals due to arrive on Tuesday, so the pace is finally picking up on getting this finished and actually back on the road!
  • That looks great! My mrs rides one of these as her winter bike and I’ve always liked the tubing on it, looks really smart.

I think a black fork will set off the frame even more FWIW.

Looking forward to seeing this built.
  • although i normally agree with the Stepster i honestly think fork same colour as frame to blend it all in - if it had a black rear triangle then yup, black fork, but in this case same coloured fork, black finishing kit deffo.

don't forget big phat black deep rims.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • step83
    although i normally agree with the Stepster i honestly think fork same colour as frame to blend it all in - if it had a black rear triangle then yup, black fork, but in this case same coloured fork, black finishing kit deffo.

FIGHT!

Be good to see the frame with a couple coats of clear on it though.
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    My 2 cents - colour matched forks look super classy.

Project looks great. Look forward to seeing more!
  • Step83 wrote:
    although i normally agree with the Stepster i honestly think fork same colour as frame to blend it all in - if it had a black rear triangle then yup, black fork, but in this case same coloured fork, black finishing kit deffo.

FIGHT!

Be good to see the frame with a couple coats of clear on it though.

no fight. i'm only little and i bruise easily.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Harry182 wrote:
    My 2 cents - colour matched forks look super classy.

Project looks great. Look forward to seeing more!

yeah Harry - you tell them.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Morning everyone,

Decals arrived yesterday and I just couldnt wait to get them on there - I think they look great, really compliment the paintwork without being too shouty. I'm over the moon with them as it was a gamble choosing the oil slick vinyl without ever really seeing it first.

I put a few layers of clear coat on the frame after doing the decals and finally got the fork sanded and primed last night too.
    Definitely thinking of putting the same finish on the fork as it looks so good - I think anything else would just be a bit too messy - theres enough going on there without introducing more colour schemes :lol:

Will leave it for a day or two then wet sand and polish the clear coat which should mean the main frame is then finished and hopefully the fork won't be too far behind.

First photo shows the decals just after being put on, second is after a couple of coats of clearcoat - it really makes the paint sing! For a cheap and cheerful project I'm really happy with how the frame is turning out - the bike should look really good when complete....quite a difference from the old white Boardman that was stuck in the garage for years!

IMG-3321.jpg

IMG-3326.jpg
  • step83
    Yeah seeing it with the decals and clear, same colours. Black finishing kit?
  • Step83 wrote:
    Yeah seeing it with the decals and clear, same colours. Black finishing kit?

Definitely black finishing kit - let the frame be the centre of attention colour wise!

I was tempted by the Supacaz bling oil slick bar tape, but its blue/purple anyway which doesn't match the green/purple frame. Might do something subtle like the cinelli 3d caleido bar tape, however it doesn't look the comfiest, so might just go pure black lizard skins or supacaz.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    That looks phenomenal - I too would go for colour matched forks, despite normally liking plain black ones.

I think the work you have done on the frame warrants it personally - worst case if you don't like it not a big deal to paint black in the future.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • super nice dude - really really nice.

colour matched fork, black everything else, phat rims. sorted.

top job.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Sod the bike. Can I have your garage please?!
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Looks great, I also have garage envy.
  • Thanks everyone for the kind words....i'll update next week once I get the forks painted and get a photo up of the forks and frame together.
    Now need to go and sort out headset bearings and settle on the handlebar tape.
    Anyone recommend anything that feels nice and soft - i've used lizard skins before but its actually quite tough, was hoping for something that looks and feels soft and shiny - even supacaz isn't overly soft or shiny.

Regarding the garage - yes, its great to have space....it was one of the main reasons for returning home to Ireland from London a few years ago....the only way I could have ever afforded room for a garage let alone build one!
  • Nice job on the bike. Superb 280 in the background?
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    I was going to suggest Supacaz, it's the comfiest tape I have ever found, plus it's easy to wrap and hard wearing, though granted it is far from cheap.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18