Carbon Clinchers

dannbodge
dannbodge Posts: 1,152
edited September 2019 in Road buying advice
I've currently got some Cosine 45mm Carbon clinchers that I want to replace.

I've got about £1200 to spend.

I've narrowed it down to either Roval CL50s (£1200) or Prime Black Edition 50s (£720).

My question is are the Rovals going to be worth the extra money?

Are there any others I should consider - 50mm deep, around 1500g (I do not want Hunts).

Comments

• yellowv2
    yellowv2 Posts: 282
    Borg 50’s from The Cycle Clinic.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Dannbodge wrote:
    (I do not want Hunts).

these are the wisest words anyone apart from MF has typed on here in ages.

for that price bracket also look at Planet X/Selcof - great value, well built (in the same factory as hunt, Wiggle, etc), good spares back up.

Farsport as well.

#clinchin'
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • dannbodge
    Dannbodge wrote:
    (I do not want Hunts).

these are the wisest words anyone apart from MF has typed on here in ages.

for that price bracket also look at Planet X/Selcof - great value, well built (in the same factory as hunt, Wiggle, etc), good spares back up.

Farsport as well.

#clinchin'

I'm not a fan of the Selcof/Px ones

I was going to look at chinese wheels but would prefer the UK based support I'd get from Wiggle/Roval
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    What's wrong with the existing wheels?

You may find getting the existing rim rebuilt with nice spokes on a nice, wide-flanged hub makes a large difference.

I imagine the Cosine and Prime wheels are pretty similar.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    I've got these which are basically Zipp 303's for half the price and with a more comprehensive warranty:

http://www.wheelsmith.co.uk/product-page/dimpled-45

Your budget would allow you to get some pretty nice hubs.

I know a few people with Farsport and Light Bicycle wheels and they're all very happy with them so definitely check them out as well.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Shop around and see if you can get a deal on some Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon SL UST. 40mm rim depth but lightweight for it.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    Dannbodge wrote:

I've narrowed it down to either Roval CL50s (£1200) or Prime Black Edition 50s (£720).

Are there any others I should consider - 50mm deep, around 1500g (I do not want Hunts).

Worth looking at Spokesman Wheels. He imports his own rims to a high spec and then builds them as required. Alternatively you can buy the rims and have them built locally. That's what I did with some of his 38mm's. Great wheels.
  • Matthewfalle
    Dannbodge wrote:

Worth looking at Spokesman Wheels. He imports the same rims as everyone else from the same factory and then builds them as required. Alternatively you can buy the rims from him or any of the other wheel builders or planet x or whover and have them built locally. That's what I did with some of his 38mm's. Great wheels.

ftfy - hope thats ok.

#panacea

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • paul1000
    paul1000 Posts: 190
    Spin industries
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Dannbodge wrote:

Worth looking at Spokesman Wheels. He imports his own rims to a high spec and then builds them as required. Alternatively you can buy the rims and have them built locally. That's what I did with some of his 38mm's. Great wheels.

Another vote for Spokesman Wheels here (have some 50mm disc wheels which have been great). Was also a pleasure to deal with. There's a chap on here with an Emonda (Bianchi Dave?) who went for 38's from him, and think he rated them too...
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • dannbodge
    Luv2ride wrote:
    Dannbodge wrote:

Another vote for Spokesman Wheels here (have some 50mm disc wheels which have been great). Was also a pleasure to deal with. There's a chap on here with an Emonda (Bianchi Dave?) who went for 38's from him, and think he rated them too...

I'll have a look but ideally I want them for an event on the 14th. Spokesman is closed until after that.

Silly excuse I know but never mind.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    Light Bicycle with the graphene brake track and your choice of hubs.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    Search on Amazon for carbon clinchers with Prime and you’ll find quite a few Chinese options that are fulfilled by Amazon, i.e. shipped from UK warehouse with warranty support from Amazon.

There are some 1300g clinchers for around £600, but I got these 50s at 1465g with straight pull Novatec hubs and Sapim CX ray spokes for £545 with next day delivery. They’re really well built and bang on spec and much cheaper than almost identical Prime Black Editions.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Carbon-Firber- ... 07CTJWY3B/

The rims are really nicely finished and have no logos but hubs have the usual Novatec red and white logos unlike photos.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Dannbodge wrote:

No.

I mean, what are we talking about here? £500? You could buy a set of these with the money you save - https://www.wiggle.co.uk/prime-rr-50-se ... -wheelset/

I'm not sure either of them are worth it versus the Cosine wheels you already have though. What's wrong with them?

If it's just about 5mm extra depth and 5mm extra width then you probably need to have a word with yourself.
  • Matthewfalle
    TimothyW wrote:
    Dannbodge wrote:

No.

I mean, what are we talking about here? £500? You could buy a set of these with the money you save - https://www.wiggle.co.uk/prime-rr-50-se ... -wheelset/

I'm not sure either of them are worth it versus the Cosine wheels you already have though. What's wrong with them?

If it's just about 5mm extra depth and 5mm extra width then you probably need to have a word with yourself.

but the fast chain gang fast group at the club said that 5mm difference made my wheels outdated and useless.

WHO IS TELLING THE TRUTH?

#willnoonethinkofthechildren?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Whats wrong with what you have?
    Spend your money by all means, but what are you trying to achieve? You have good wheels now.

Buy new wheels and get into the latest is best mentality. But then you will have to buy next year's must have wheels. And the year after......

You are are unlikely to be singled out for a pro contract, you wouldn't be asking on here if you were that good. So why throw money at a non existent problem? There is no indication that your present wheels are in any way inadequate. Stick with them and save yourself some money.

As the man said...when you strike oil, stop drilling.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    You can’t beat advice from a tight fisted pensioner.
  • shipley
    shipley Posts: 549
    Dannbodge wrote:
    (I do not want Hunts).

these are the wisest words anyone apart from MF has typed on here in ages.'

As a matter of interest.....what’s the problem with Hunt wheels ??
  • Shipley wrote:
    Dannbodge wrote:
    (I do not want Hunts).

these are the wisest words anyone apart from MF has typed on here in ages.'

As a matter of interest.....what’s the problem with Hunt wheels ??

There's nothing wrong with Hunts wheels. MF doesn't like them for no apparent reason so misses no opportunity to shout his mouth off, just like every other topic. He is very boring with his self important comments. But every forum has it's idiot.
  • Matthewfalle
    they are over priced, using exactly the same parts - hubs, spokes, rims, tape - and built in the exactly the same factory as carbonzone, farsport, wiggle, planet x, selcof, etc by the same person - but they charge twice as much for them.

they would be fine if they weten't so expensive.

Franco's beef is that he bought some full retail which he is now selling.

every forum has its mug.

#don'tbefranco

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    they are over priced, using exactly the same parts - hubs, spokes, rims, tape - and built in the exactly the same factory as carbonzone, farsport, wiggle, planet x, selcof, etc by the same person

Obviously you can prove all this. So let's have some links...
  • Matthewfalle
    go back a few threads to the post from the dude who used to be a wheel buyer for someone.

i got told off by someone who said that i was wrong and stupid and dumb for saying the hubs wrre novatek with hunt printed on them in a big box box - hunt owner insisyed that every hub was individually selected, weighed, balanced by an exper wheel builder.

wheel buyer bloke - bizarrely - confirmed i was right and that same dude has boxes of hubs for p/x, selcof, etc.

its a small time wheel seller punting out overpriced wheels to Franco the non italian.

#don'tbefrank

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0
    go back a few threads to the post from the dude who used to be a wheel buyer for someone.

I don't really know where you mean. Could you do it? Thanks.

In terms of evidence, a bloke posting anonymously on a cycling forum doesn't really do it for me, unfortunately. What else do you have?
  • Matthewfalle
    in fact Imp I believe ypu were part of that discussion and as soon as dude posted all hunt lovers went quiet ....

#don'tbeamug

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Imposter wrote:

I don't really know where you mean. Could you do it? Thanks.

In terms of evidence, a bloke posting anonymously on a cycling forum doesn't really do it for me, unfortunately. What else do you have?

errr - the parts the wheel are made of.

#theresbetter,cheaper

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0
    in fact Imp I believe ypu were part of that discussion and as soon as dude posted all hunt lovers went quiet ....

You might be right - but I still don't know where you mean. Be a good chap...
  • Matthewfalle
    Imposter wrote:

You might be right - but I still don't know where you mean. Be a good chap...

will do. pip pip.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • dannbodge
    So I want to replace the Cosines as they are starting to reach the end of their lives.
    The brake tracks are getting worn and I'd rather sell them on whilst they are worth some money than scrap them when they are done. I may also want to run tubeless at some point which my current wheels won't allow.

Now just works for me that it's a good time to sell them on and get some better ones (lighter, deeper and better hubs) as I've had a decent bonus from work due to having 2 patents filed.

Yes I could probably keep my current ones and save the money but where is the fun in that?
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    If your frame/brakes will clear them, these are excellent: https://www.lightbicycle.com/700C-V-sha ... tible.html

I have the disc brake version so can't comment on the braking surface, but the build was good, they don't weigh a lot and look cool. They're also super wide and give 25mm tyres a very nice aero profile with the tyre narrower than the rim.

If you need them a bit narrower, or want them more quickly than getting them shipped over, the Primes look good, and you get the advantage of having bought them in the UK from Wiggle/CRC if something goes wrong, which forgives the slightly higher price. I've had a few pairs of Prime wheels, and the stated weights tend to match reality quite accurately, which isn't always the case (Light Bicycle wheels match stated weights as well).
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Dannbodge wrote:

Were you happy with the Cosines? If so, why not look at the Prime wheels at wiggle or crc. Basically the same and always on sale.

If you are dead set on another brand though, you can get the roval clx 50 for £200 more than the CL50s you mention. Definitely worth the extra if you can find a way to stretch the budget.

Depending how desperate you are for them, it may be worth hanging back a little as wheelsets are often reduced quite heavily at the end of the season, notably around black Friday.