The Irony Thread

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    Rolf F wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    But are you despairing of the 32% who can't change a fuse (ie use a screwdriver!) or of their parents who failed to spend thirty seconds telling their offspring how to do it?!
    Exactly, this is mostly down to the parents. I teach my kids how to fix things themselves so I don't have to do it for them, if I'm not around they will look at tutorials on YouTube and work it out that way. Basically they know it's up to them to try and sort things out, it's a parent's responsibility to prepare their children for life.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,216
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    But are you despairing of the 32% who can't change a fuse (ie use a screwdriver!) or of their parents who failed to spend thirty seconds telling their offspring how to do it?!
    Exactly, this is mostly down to the parents. I teach my kids how to fix things themselves so I don't have to do it for them, if I'm not around they will look at tutorials on YouTube and work it out that way. Basically they know it's up to them to try and sort things out, it's a parent's responsibility to prepare their children for life.

It's totally this.

I tell my old man i'm out to buy a drill so I can put up my curtains. My mum nags him that why should I spend my money on a drill when he has one; so he comes over with it. Now, since he's put dozens of curtain rails up, guess what, he starts to do it. At that point, it's hard to break that father-son mould and say 'nah i'm gonna do it'.

I've now stopped mentioning what I'm doing in the house so I can get on and do it myself; turns out, despite being crap at anything manual I am actually fairly decent at decorating, for example (not that it's difficult).

If you never do it, you'll never learn.
  • hantstooflat
    hantstooflat Posts: 122
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

This, on our expensive phones.
    “Jij bent niet van suiker gemaakt”
  • veronese68
    This, on our expensive phones.
    :lol: Or in my daughter's case on the iPad paid for by doting parents.
    If you never do it, you'll never learn.
    Exactly.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,149
    Rolf F wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

I don't recall ever getting told how to change a light bulb...it's not that hard to figure out and I'm sure the current generation isn't (much) thicker than we are :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I have just managed to change fluorescent tube without watching a video. I do however need to watch a video that will show you how to avoid knocking the tube out in the first place. Also one that shows you how to keep your garage tidy so you don’t have to spend an hour moving stuff so you can clean up all the glass.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    I think it is more to do with things are getting better - although I can, I can't even remember when I had to change a lightbulb last? the eco energy saving ones last for like 10 years. Say goes for a fuse, I know how to do it but can't remember when I last did, aren't most plugs sealed now so you can't open them up anyway?

So it isn't that it is beyond the realms of possibility for under 35s (I am one!) to do these things or learn how to just they haven't yet.

I do build and maintain all my bikes so I may not be entirely representative when it comes to under 35s being practical I suppose!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    If they had asked the same over 55s 20 years ago I'm sure there would be different answers. Why would you need to do DIY skills when you don't own a house? As already said, it's not hard to learn is it. Still, something good to moan about for Generation Complain, everything IS getting worse after all
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Chris Bass wrote:
    I think it is more to do with things are getting better - although I can, I can't even remember when I had to change a lightbulb last? the eco energy saving ones last for like 10 years. Say goes for a fuse, I know how to do it but can't remember when I last did, aren't most plugs sealed now so you can't open them up anyway?

You used to have to open a plug up to access the fuse - now all you need to do is lever the plastic clip out and swap it over. Anyone old enough to be able to read small numbers should be able to do it.
    HaydenM wrote:
    If they had asked the same over 55s 20 years ago I'm sure there would be different answers. Why would you need to do DIY skills when you don't own a house? As already said, it's not hard to learn is it. Still, something good to moan about for Generation Complain, everything IS getting worse after all

What was in the list that Stevo posted wasn't really DIY - basic household maintenance is not DIY and you only need to live somewhere with piped water and electricity to benefit from knowing about it. Even fitting a toilet seat barely scrapes in under that heading though that really is something you can perhaps reasonably expect to not need to do in a lifetime.

It all depends if your preferred approach is to fix a problem now or ring someone up and have them travel across town to do something that takes 30 seconds. I could wire plugs 35 years ago though I concede that that is one "skill" I've only needed a couple of times in the last few years.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • haydenm
    Rolf F wrote:
    I could wire plugs 35 years ago though I concede that that is one "skill" I've only needed a couple of times in the last few years.

I can wire a plug now but that doesn't mean everyone in my age group can (or could 35 years ago in your case). Of the 6 rented places in 7 years before I bought this place I have only changed light bulbs from that list. Why would you learn to do it before you need to when you can simply google it at the time?
  • rick_chasey
    Wiring a plug is still part of the GCSE syllabus, so I mean, there's no excuse really.
  • haydenm
    Don't think I did GCSE electronics, it was an option and I did Design and Tech which had a lot of wood working iirc. No idea if they still do it like that, a lot sounds like it's changed in the last 10-15 years in education
  • rick_chasey
    No it's in the compulsory science exam.
  • veronese68
    This is true, it's what prompted me to teach my daughter at the time now that you mention it. Cleaning her hair out of the shower waste trap wasn't on there but definitely needed to be taught.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,483
    edited July 2018
    Veronese68 wrote:
    This is true, it's what prompted me to teach my daughter at the time now that you mention it. Cleaning her hair out of the shower waste trap wasn't on there but definitely needed to be taught.

Ha.

Regarding lightbulbs, they'll soon (<10 years, I'd guess) be a thing of the past, although it is surprising how many people who've reached middle or senior management positions in large corporations, but struggle with the most basic home maintenance.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    HaydenM wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    I could wire plugs 35 years ago though I concede that that is one "skill" I've only needed a couple of times in the last few years.

I can wire a plug now but that doesn't mean everyone in my age group can (or could 35 years ago in your case). Of the 6 rented places in 7 years before I bought this place I have only changed light bulbs from that list. Why would you learn to do it before you need to when you can simply google it at the time?

Try googling anything when your battery is flat and the fuse blew in your power pack lead! Seriously though, it's a fair point but I suspect a lot of people don't actually google it at the time either.........
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,149
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Cleaning her hair out of the shower waste trap wasn't on there but definitely needed to be taught.
    This.

I also have problems teaching mine not to leave her clothes and possessions lying around wherever she decides to drop them and then complaining that she can't find anything.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,864
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Cleaning her hair out of the shower waste trap wasn't on there but definitely needed to be taught.
    This.

I also have problems teaching mine not to leave her clothes and possessions lying around wherever she decides to drop them and then complaining that she can't find anything.

Can we have a thread about cleaning hair from shower waster traps? I seriously thought about just buying a new one every month.
  • veronese68
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    This.

Can we have a thread about cleaning hair from shower waster traps? I seriously thought about just buying a new one every month.
    Don’t be ridiculous, you don’t need a new one you can just pay a man to do it for you.
  • rjsterry
    :lol:
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• surrey_commuter
    All a married chap needs is a well stocked toolbox for the FiL to use when he pops round. In frequent moments of despair he will buy you new and better tools.

For years my old man bought me tools for Xmas and birthday presents - a fantastic idea
  • rjsterry
    All a married chap needs is a well stocked toolbox for the FiL to use when he pops round. In frequent moments of despair he will buy you new and better tools.

For years my old man bought me tools for Xmas and birthday presents - a fantastic idea

Why on earth would you let someone else near your tools?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• surrey_commuter
    rjsterry wrote:

Why on earth would you let someone else near your tools?

Because the man is a perfectionist who not only finishes jobs to an unimaginable level he then cleans, polishes and sharpens my tools before buying additional ones that I (he) may need in the future.

These jobs all need to benefit his daughter which rules out bike stuff
  • rjsterry
    edited August 2019
    So they're his tools, really. :)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• surrey_commuter
    rjsterry wrote:
    So there his tools, really. :)

:D
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    My son has just told me that a chap came into school this morning to speak to the kids.

He told them that he'd told his 4 and 5 yr old daughters that they shouldn't believe in Father Christmas any more because he's not real. They should now focus their attentions on the true meaning of Christmas, not presents, food or even family, but Jesus, and more importantly, God.

The older I get, the better I was.

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,607
    Fundamentalist nutter. This time prob not an Islamic one either.

Seems to be a thing.

https://www.altpress.com/news/man-arres ... isnt-real/
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Owen Jones writing this column and then a few days later becoming a victim of violence

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... llar-crime
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Owen Jones writing this column and then a few days later becoming a victim of violence

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... llar-crime

It's not ironic, it's a hazard of being a "prominent left-wing activist and political commentator" who is also gay.

Asking for trouble these days. What is 'trick or treat' night gonna be like?
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    There is a comment btl which seems to sum it up.

What middle-class lefties often forget though is that violent crime disproportionately affects the working class, hence the call for tougher sentences, for example, for carrying a knife from working-class voters. It's all well and good to call it class war when it doesn't affect you.

Perhaps OJ has a greater understanding now.