Italian BB/wheel choice ?

ashtons99
ashtons99 Posts: 110
edited October 2019 in Vintage bikes forum
I’ve just bought a restored 1980 Gios Torino frame I have absolutely no build parts so starting from scratch. What would be the advice on choice of bottom bracket, stick with a traditional bearing cup campag one or go for a sealed cartridge replacement. It’s a 70mm Italian threaded

Also what wheel rim choice would be a good one for that period. I’m going campag hubs

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Decide your chainset first that determines your bb.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    As for rim choice, something like the Ambrosio Excellence or Mavic Open Pro (in the grey finish, not black) would be a reasonable choice, unless you can find a pair of NOS period MA40s, or similar...
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    I wouldn’t go back to traditional open cup and cone adjustable bottom brackets. The maintenance is such a faff even with so-called sealed versions with contact seals in the cup around the axle as I had on my Overbury’s mountain bike in the 1980s. My old Campag bottom bracket on my tourer was unsealed with gun barrel style rifling on the cup holes designed to draw grit and muck out along the outside of the hollow axle as you pedalled. I had to clean and regrease BB on both bikes several times a year. It was such a relief to switch to a sealed cartridge Campag Athena BB on my tourer in the 1990s. That BB is still going strong. And it’s a compatible match to the classic Victory triple chainset I had at the time as well as the Veloce triple I fitted later.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    H Plus Son TB14 is pretty much the only modern clincher rim that suits a 1980s build... that's what I've got anyway...
    left the forum March 2023
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    H Plus Son TB14 is pretty much the only modern clincher rim that suits a 1980s build... that's what I've got anyway...

now thats a surprise ............

#veritableplethoraofsurprise
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • ashtons99
    Decide your chainset first that determines your bb.

I’m looking to fit a square taper super record double chainset so I’m thinking around 112mm axle
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Also that's not iso taper or jis. That bb uses a taper all of it's own. So you ha e to use a period campagnolo bb. What I ha e learnt with mis matching tapers is they eventually ruin your chainset. Fine on a cheap throwaway chainset. A 80s SR chainset has value and while should be used should not be abused with the wrong bb axle taper.

Tb14's or magic open pro CD finish rims are what I would use. Ambrosio nemesis if you can find them are another lovely choice. Then you can develop a tub habit and a love for contact adhesives.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • ashtons99
    Also that's not iso taper or jis. That bb uses a taper all of it's own. So you ha e to use a period campagnolo bb. What I ha e learnt with mis matching tapers is they eventually ruin your chainset. Fine on a cheap throwaway chainset. A 80s SR chainset has value and while should be used should not be abused with the wrong bb axle taper.

Tb14's or magic open pro CD finish rims are what I would use. Ambrosio nemesis if you can find them are another lovely choice. Then you can develop a tub habit and a love for contact adhesives.

Ah right I see what you mean. The starting point is the chainset and when I do source a super record one match the bb accordingly. Are you saying that only a super record of same period will be fully compatible, nothing else ?
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    There’s a long and informative thread from retro Campag experts on Cycling UK forum which confirms what Cycle Clinic says. Worth a read.

https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?t=121671

One suggestion if you want the appearance of a classic chainset made of stronger modern materials and compatible with sealed cartridge bottom brackets is to look at Velo Orange Grand Cru stuff. They do loads of components to suit a classic build including cranks and sealed BB to match as well as brakes etc. Fresh Tripe are UK and Europe distributors. Here’s their cranks range:
    http://freshtripe.co.uk/components/cranksets/
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380

exctly ths re wheels but just use tape for the tubs.

i want to say that Ambrosio started another production run of Nemesis a couple of years ago so worth a quick Google.

#tubs.propertyres
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • ashtons99
    Thanks guys. I’m going to stick to super record, I know it’s not cheap but I want it to be right.
  • Also that's not iso taper or jis. That bb uses a taper all of it's own. So you ha e to use a period campagnolo bb. What I ha e learnt with mis matching tapers is they eventually ruin your chainset. Fine on a cheap throwaway chainset. A 80s SR chainset has value and while should be used should not be abused with the wrong bb axle taper.

Well I didn't know that!